Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Alveezy
macrumors regular

Replacement Verizon iPhone 5(A1429) Locked?

So i got my Verizon iPhone 5 replaced due to a faulty Sleep/Wake button. I got it on release day and after about 5 weeks, the Sleep/Wake button stopped working and i have to press it a certain way for it to function. I went ahead at the genius bar and showed them the issue and got a replacement iPhone 5. when i put my sim on the replacement phone...i went to the process of putting in my info and i came about the activation section. it asked what carrier i wanted to use it on. i thought it was weird, so i just picked verizon. it then said that it was going to be locked to that carrier only. i then asked the genius bar if all the CDMA model of the iPhone 5 especially the verizon iPhone 5, if they were unlocked? she said "they're made to only work for Verizon and it doesn't come unlocked". i then replied with "there's a million articles about the Verizon iPhone 5 being unlocked straight out of the box" she then said "well they must doing it illegally". it was really awkward after that, and the phone still bothered me a little because of that activation thingy. i stumbled upon this article on iDownloadBlog on how to check if your phone is factory unlocked. i went to that website imei.info to check the status of my device...it pulled up the right info but when i went ahead to check to see if the phone was unlocked, sadly it said "Locked". can anyone confirm this? i still haven't tried putting in a different sim because i have no access to another micro sim. i'll gladly buy a t-mobile pre-paid sim but they don't have the mircro-sims at my local retailer yet.
Alveezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:22 PM   #2
themadrussian
macrumors regular

That website is completely inaccurate.
themadrussian is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Jason99kr
macrumors member

why don't you try it with T-mobile sim card.. simple as that..
Jason99kr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Newbie MacUser
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alveezy View Post
So i got my Verizon iPhone 5 replaced due to a faulty Sleep/Wake button. I got it on release day and after about 5 weeks, the Sleep/Wake button stopped working and i have to press it a certain way for it to function. I went ahead at the genius bar and showed them the issue and got a replacement iPhone 5. when i put my sim on the replacement phone...i went to the process of putting in my info and i came about the activation section. it asked what carrier i wanted to use it on. i thought it was weird, so i just picked verizon. it then said that it was going to be locked to that carrier only. i then asked the genius bar if all the CDMA model of the iPhone 5 especially the verizon iPhone 5, if they were unlocked? she said "they're made to only work for Verizon and it doesn't come unlocked". i then replied with "there's a million articles about the Verizon iPhone 5 being unlocked straight out of the box" she then said "well they must doing it illegally". it was really awkward after that, and the phone still bothered me a little because of that activation thingy. i stumbled upon this article on iDownloadBlog on how to check if your phone is factory unlocked. i went to that website imei.info to check the status of my device...it pulled up the right info but when i went ahead to check to see if the phone was unlocked, sadly it said "Locked". can anyone confirm this? i still haven't tried putting in a different sim because i have no access to another micro sim. i'll gladly buy a t-mobile pre-paid sim but they don't have the mircro-sims at my local retailer yet.
Apple Genius Don't KNOW a damned thing! Whenever I go to an Apple Store to ask questions about a device or a service it turns out I know more than they do and I don't even work there. I know they aren't allowed to comment on rumors but you are right there is no way the verizon iPhone 5 cannot have it's GSM capability locked to a carrier. The CDMA doesn't really matter because 90% of the world uses CDMA. The only issue with getting the Verizon A1429 model is that you won't be able to simultaneously talk while using data service/apps/maps/other data consuming services on the phone. That is the trade off you get for getting the Verizon one, even though you do have the Global LTE capability because it is compatible with all the major 4G LTE bands.
Apple TV 3G (MD199LL/A)
Newbie MacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

So you believed what a misinformed rep told you but not what verizon announced about the verizon i5 being unlocked cause of the FCC deal about LTE spectrum.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:37 PM   #6
Charadis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie MacUser View Post
The only issue with getting the Verizon A1429 model is that you won't be able to simultaneously talk while using data service/apps/maps/other data consuming services on the phone. That is the trade off you get for getting the Verizon one, even though you do have the Global LTE capability because it is compatible with all the major 4G LTE bands.
Actually, the Verizon iPhone 5 can do simultaneous voice plus data if on AT&T, and probably other gsm networks. I'm using a Verizon iPhone with my AT&T account, and the only thing it can't do is LTE on AT&T.

It also comes unlocked out of the box. Sent from my iPhone 5.
Charadis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:17 AM   #7
Alveezy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
So you believed what a misinformed rep told you but not what verizon announced about the verizon i5 being unlocked cause of the FCC deal about LTE spectrum.
even Verizon Customer Service denied it when i asked them about it being unlocked out of the box...it's ridiculous. i just don't get why it would come up as "Locked" on an IMEI checker if it's really Unlocked out of the box.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Arisian
macrumors 68000

Exact same situation here.

1) Replace Verizon iPhone because of faulty battery glue
2) Worried new one is locked

** I've read that those IMEI checkers dont work and read everything as being locked. Not sure...
Arisian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisian View Post
Exact same situation here.

1) Replace Verizon iPhone because of faulty battery glue
2) Worried new one is locked

** I've read that those IMEI checkers dont work and read everything as being locked. Not sure...
If you guys don't even have any sims from other carriers to try, then why do you care if it's locked or not? You're obviously not using it because its unlocked?
Jtludwig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
even Verizon Customer Service denied it when i asked them about it being unlocked out of the box...it's ridiculous. i just don't get why it would come up as "Locked" on an IMEI checker if it's really Unlocked out of the box.
Its 10000% unlocked for GSM use.
Dont trust any of those IMEI check sites. Most of them are wrong.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Newbie MacUser
macrumors member

Quote:
Its 10000% unlocked for GSM use.
Dont trust any of those IMEI check sites. Most of them are wrong.
Ditto.....I think they are ALL Wrong!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charadis View Post
Actually, the Verizon iPhone 5 can do simultaneous voice plus data if on AT&T, and probably other gsm networks. I'm using a Verizon iPhone with my AT&T account, and the only thing it can't do is LTE on AT&T.

It also comes unlocked out of the box. Sent from my iPhone 5.
So, I guess even the verizon one isn't totally LTE compatible, if it can't connect to AT&T's LTE network? That kinda doesn't make much sense to me because, then for someone who travels sporadically out of the country getting the Verizon one doesn't make much sense if they have AT&T here in the U.S. Only if you spend lets say more than 40% of your time out of this country would having 4G LTE throughout the world EXCEPT in the U.S. What about T- mobile? Anyone tried 4G LTE with that service?
Apple TV 3G (MD199LL/A)
Newbie MacUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:28 PM   #12
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Wrong. Not all of Verizon LTE phones are unlocked. Don't believe those rumors. In fact, the droid Razr M is not unlocked.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/34...pen-access-fcc
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular

For those who are constantly wondering if their iPhone 5's unlocked, here's to check for $0.39.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3509C3JXQLA43

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Wrong. Not all of Verizon LTE phones are unlocked. Don't believe those rumors. In fact, the droid Razr M is not unlocked.

All iPhone 5 for Verizon are.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/24/verizo...ue-to-the-fcc/
Cebuano1976 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:38 PM   #14
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano1976 View Post
For those who are constantly wondering if their iPhone 5's unlocked, here's to check for $0.39.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3509C3JXQLA43

----------

All iPhone 5 for Verizon are.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/24/verizo...ue-to-the-fcc/
Verizon doesn't care. They locked the Razr M which is an LTE phone. The fines they would receive are extremely small. And thanks to a new ruling, new phones after 2013 can be prevented from being jailbroken in US.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/D...in-2013-121800
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:39 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

I was talking about all verizon iphone 5 models.
Who said anything about droids or any of that?
Verizon itself announced it that all verizon iphone 5's are gsm unlocked out of the box even for US domestic use.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I was talking about all verizon iphone 5 models.
Who said anothing about droids or any of that?
Verizon itself announced it that all verizon iphone 5's are gsm unlocked out of the box even for US domestic use.
I'm not denying that they are unlocked, it's just not that they are required because the law is so vague. Verizon at any time, could change their minds.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:42 PM   #17
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
I'm not denying that they are unlocked, it's just not that they are required because the law is so vague. Verizon at any time, could change their minds.
True, at least for now we can enjoy it
Like you said it might not last for too long.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:45 PM   #18
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular

If my Verizon iPhone 5 gets locked against T-Mobile use, I'd be cluster****ed. But that's what backup 4S's are for, I guess.
Cebuano1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:46 PM   #19
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
True, at least for now we can enjoy it
Like you said it might not last for too long.
Very true! Best to get one now, and always have the unlocked global iphone 5.
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano1976 View Post
If my Verizon iPhone 5 gets locked against T-Mobile use, I'd be cluster****ed. But that's what backup 4S's are for, I guess.
It wont get locked, I was just saying in the future with the next iphone verizon might not do the same and have it fully unlocked straight out the box.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:54 AM   #21
Alveezy
macrumors regular

Since T-Mobile now has Micro Sims available for purchase on their website...I'm gonna get one on my next paycheck to test it out. It's really weird because when i got the iPhone 5 on release day, I activated it via my landline phone. As i was going through the set up...It didn't have the "Choose Carrier" and "If you Choose this, Your Phone will be locked to this carrier". It only did that with the replacement phone after i popped in my sim card from the previous iPhone 5.

I just ran Tiny Umbrella to save my 6.0.1 blobs(just in case & i missed the 6.0 window) and this showed up.

hmm "iPhone5_World"...hopefully it's none of that stupid CDMA roam thingy that verizon's making you pay for when you go abroad but an actual "World Phone" that you can use on any carrier.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:59 AM   #22
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie MacUser View Post
Apple Genius Don't KNOW a damned thing! Whenever I go to an Apple Store to ask questions about a device or a service it turns out I know more than they do and I don't even work there. I know they aren't allowed to comment on rumors but you are right there is no way the verizon iPhone 5 cannot have it's GSM capability locked to a carrier. The CDMA doesn't really matter because 90% of the world uses CDMA. The only issue with getting the Verizon A1429 model is that you won't be able to simultaneously talk while using data service/apps/maps/other data consuming services on the phone. That is the trade off you get for getting the Verizon one, even though you do have the Global LTE capability because it is compatible with all the major 4G LTE bands.
I thought the rest of the world used GSM
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:19 AM   #23
Arisian
macrumors 68000

See my previous post(s) for back story.

Nonetheless, my iPhone5 replacement (Which is different in every way) was 'locked to Verizon' but I checked it yesterday, works on every sim I threw at it.

Fear not replacing your Verizon iPhones and having them locked - assuming it's a replacement from apple.

Thanks,
B
Arisian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #24
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisian View Post
Nonetheless, my iPhone5 replacement (Which is different in every way) was 'locked to Verizon' B

Different? How so?
Cebuano1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:27 AM   #25
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Since T-Mobile now has Micro Sims available for purchase on their website...I'm gonna get one on my next paycheck to test it out. It's really weird because when i got the iPhone 5 on release day, I activated it via my landline phone. As i was going through the set up...It didn't have the "Choose Carrier" and "If you Choose this, Your Phone will be locked to this carrier". It only did that with the replacement phone after i popped in my sim card from the previous iPhone 5.

I just ran Tiny Umbrella to save my 6.0.1 blobs(just in case & i missed the 6.0 window) and this showed up.

hmm "iPhone5_World"...hopefully it's none of that stupid CDMA roam thingy that verizon's making you pay for when you go abroad but an actual "World Phone" that you can use on any carrier.
well you did miss the 6.0 window... hence it saved the 6.0.1
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone