Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neiloid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
Hi

Having just bought a 2011 2.3 Mac Mini with Lion OS three weeks ago I now need to sell it and want to clear all my data and reinstall the OS. Will installing the OS from the the recovery partition erase all my data and leave the Mini box fresh for the new owner to set up as their own?

Thanks in advance.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Hi

Having just bought a 2011 2.3 Mac Mini with Lion OS three weeks ago I now need to sell it and want to clear all my data and reinstall the OS. Will installing the OS from the the recovery partition erase all my data and leave the Mini box fresh for the new owner to set up as their own?

Thanks in advance.

It will. If you are paranoid or thorough, you might want to wipe the drive first then install, you can choose to write zeros to it first (this actually makes the data unrecoverable), or for the classified secrets level (a bit unnecessary in my book), do a 7 pass overwrite.

Neiloid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
Thanks for your quick reply.

So if I wipe the drive and move the slider one to the right from quick erase it will write to zeros - I can then restore from the recovery partition as this will not be wiped I assume....?

Cheers, Neil

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Thanks for your quick reply.

So if I wipe the drive and move the slider one to the right from quick erase it will write to zeros - I can then restore from the recovery partition as this will not be wiped I assume....?

Cheers, Neil

You need to boot from another volume to erase the main volume, either from an install disk or recovery partition, then move the slider to the right to increase security of wipe i.e. write zeros. Either change the startup disk under system utilities or hold option while you boot up

I never use the recovery partition, so I'm not that familiar with it, as I always make an install USB stick or have a bootable clone before I do anything.

Neiloid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
So I booted from recovery partition and deleted the HD using security to set the 1s to zeros and reinstalled Lion from the recovery disc.

I now have the new user set up when I turn the mac on so can I assume that all data is wiped and that the mac is now as new for the puchaser with a clean instal of Lion?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Neil

Neiloid

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hants, UK
Smashing, I'll get her boxed and listed and off to a new home.

I love the 2.5 that replaced her and can't wait to immerse myself further in the Mac experience and explore Mountain Lions integration with my iOS devices.

Thanks for your reply.

Neil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.