Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple posted a statement on its UK website acknowledging that Samsung had not infringed upon the protected design of the iPad, in line with a court order following the trial. But Apple took the opportunity to playfully quote statements from the judge's ruling saying that the Samsung Galaxy Tab was "not as cool" as the iPad and note that it had won cases against Samsung in other jurisdictions.

apple_galaxy_tab_graf.jpg
Bloomberg now reports, however, that Apple's version of the statement is not in line with the intent of the order, which was to present a simple reference to the court decision ruling against Apple. The court has requested that Apple alter its website statement within two days, but Apple claims that alterations could take up to two weeks.
"I'm at a loss that a company such as Apple would do this," Judge Robin Jacob said today. "That is a plain breach of the order." [...]

The court's initial order to post a notice was designed to correct the impression that the South Korean company was copying Apple's product. Apple's post, criticized by judges today, inserted four paragraphs including excerpts of the original "cool" ruling and details of similar German lawsuits that the court today said weren't true.
The original court ruling required that Apple keep the acknowledgement linked on its website for one month and to purchase advertisements in a number of newspapers and magazines to publicly make the same admission. Those advertisements have, however, yet to appear.

Article Link: Apple Ordered to Alter Website Statement Acknowledging Samsung Galaxy Tab Did Not Infringe on iPad Design

livingston

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Lol oh man...even I gave Apple the benefit of the doubt that they got this approved before doing it. Now they kind of look stupid. Still, the original was great, hopefully this one will be just as good.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Apple should change it to "The Samsung Galaxy Tab did not infringe on the iPad's design since it's simply not as cool."

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Contempt of court, followed by more contempt of court.

Jolly.

Bollocks! They did what the court ordered. And now the court is refining what their intention is, Apple will comply and again do what the court ordered.

Ever deal with an eight year old? A teenager? A computer? Sometimes when you say to do something, you get exactly what you asked it to do.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Looking at their posted statement, they actually quote verbatim the Judge's ruling. I don't see how that's an egregious breach of anything. Somebody's being spiteful, and I'm not sure it's Apple this time.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
The only thing the judge should be surprised at is how he came to his verdict in the first place. Does that mean that counterfeit merchandise is fine, because it's not as cool s the real thing!

Samsung copied them, it was blatant. E mails flew about internally giving explicit instructions to copy Apples design, Google warned them to stop it, and yet they didn't because it wasn't as cool as the real thing? Goodness how ridiculous.

As a UK Citizen, doesn't surprise me though, our legal system is inconsistent and shambolic.

I'd go as far to say that Judge Robin Jacob is possibly embarrassed by the fact Apple showed the world how ridiculous the judgement was, by simply quoting the judgement. It's his pride that's taking a knock, and that's why he's outraged.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Also, I can't imagine Apple will advertise in a various assortment of publications in the UK to state that Samsung did not infringe on their patents. They have the money, I'm sure they'd rather just pay the appropriate fines, and move on. :cool:

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I wonder if that judge will force Amazon to write "The iPad Mini has two speakers and is actually a great device" on their homepage. How childish.

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Bollocks! They did what the court ordered. And now the court is refining what their intention is, Apple will comply and again do what the court ordered.

Ever deal with an eight year old? A teenager? A computer? Sometimes when you say to do something, you get exactly what you asked it to do.
No. There is the letter of the law, then there's the spirit of the law. Judges don't take too kindly to people acting dumb when given an order they don't like.
The UK is a sovereign country. If Apple wish to sell their products here, they should follow UK law. They don't get to deliberately confuse a court order by adding mentions of similar court proceedings around the world, as they do not apply here.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitalQ

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Apple was making a mockery of the judge's ruling in the current "apology".

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
No surprise

It's pretty much guaranteed that they have made the statement with the help of their legal department to make sure they stay on the right side of wrong. With that in mind, it is a surprise imo.

RDStrong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012

They were also ordered to put up advertisements in print media but they failed to do it. So, no... they haven't complied with the court order.

Their behaviour is pretty childish and the current turn of events is entirely a result of their disrespect and contempt for the original ruling.

Also, they can update the Apple website immediately after a conference but it takes 14 days to change simple text?

cbcc1119

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Indianapolis
This is just crazy these companies are always saying outlandish things and altering the truth don't the judges have more important things to do this is crazy.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Apple's note was funny, childish and absolutely not what the judge had in mind.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
But it is fine for Samsung to mock Apple in every advertisement they do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.