Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I want to add 2x4GB DIMMS to my 2011 iMac with the standard 2x2GB DIMMS for a total of 12 GBs of memory. Does it matter which slots hold the 4GB DIMMS and which slots hold the 2GB DIMMS? For example, should I put the 4GB in the first two slots and move the 2GB DIMMS to the last two slots or just add the 4GB DIMMS to the last 2 slots and leave the 2GB DIMMS where they are.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I want to add 2x4GB DIMMS to my 2011 iMac with the standard 2x2GB DIMMS for a total of 12 GBs of memory. Does it matter which slots hold the 4GB DIMMS and which slots hold the 2GB DIMMS? For example, should I put the 4GB in the first two slots and move the 2GB DIMMS to the last two slots or just add the 4GB DIMMS to the last 2 slots and leave the 2GB DIMMS where they are.

Put new DIMMS into empty slots and it is done

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
I just finished upgrading three 2011 iMacs using the Crucial 8MB upgrade kits. I just put the extra memory in the two open slots and everything is working great.

As an aside, FCP X runs so much better now, I'm sorry I didn't make the upgrade sooner.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Thanks so much. That worked fine. 12 GBs shows up.

I just finished upgrading three 2011 iMacs using the Crucial 8MB upgrade kits. I just put the extra memory in the two open slots and everything is working great.

As an aside, FCP X runs so much better now, I'm sorry I didn't make the upgrade sooner.

UTMAC

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
I just upgraded my 2011 iMac with 2 new 4gb chips and put in the 2 empty slots. Turned it on and no problems what so ever. I can tell things are running faster just by opening iPhoto. Best $50 upgrade I have ever bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.