Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
new rMBP13 owner here- i want to purchase a good photo editing program- I just was planning on downloading the Aperture program from the App store but after reading several of the current reviews I thought I would see if anyone can offer me some direction. I like to import my photos in RAW from my camera and currently have a very old version of Photoshop on my five year old PC which allows for adjusting everything really easy with slider bars (exposure, temperature, etc.) anyone recommend me a version of photoshop or should I go with Aperture- thanks

Fresh Burek

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Photoshop doesn't support retina yet, so it gets a bit hard to work with it. You're basically working with pixelized images. I wish Adobe would hurry up with their update.

I can't speak about Aperture. Never used it.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I use Lightroom as the main environment for organizing the photo files and also for editing raw images. As needed I send the image to Photoshop CS 6 or to Nik Suite plugins.

I would suggest getting LR 4.x. See if you qualify for any discounts (education, NAPP member,..etc.). Once you see what LR can do, then you can decide on getting a pixel editor. You might just find that Photoshop Elements 11 more than fills the bill and saves a heap of cash compared to full PS 6.

Later you can explore plugins from Nik Software, OnOne, and others.

Again, a stepwise approach can reduce your stress and help you decide which products you want.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Aperture runs great on the 13" rMBP; however, its competition would be Adobe Lightroom as opposed to Photoshop. Aperture is great for organizing your library, but it's not what you would use to really touch up photos and apply sophisticated effects.

RickG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
so is lightroom better for editing RAW images (just easy stuff , not real complex stuff) than apature ??

jeffkempster

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
I have to disagree. Aperture is the exact program you want to use the touch up photos. It is an excellent tool to adjust, fix, crop, alter photos. It is not photoshop, but offers dozens and dozens of adjustment and corrections. I've been using Aperture for years and I love it, but I know that Adobe Lightroom is also very good.

Aperture runs great on the 13" rMBP; however, its competition would be Adobe Lightroom as opposed to Photoshop. Aperture is great for organizing your library, but it's not what you would use to really touch up photos and apply sophisticated effects.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Aperture is a great value at 80 bucks. It lacks some of the features of LR, like lens correction, but considering Aperture used to cost a few hundred dollars its definitely a good deal now.

We really need Aperture 4 but who knows if that will ever happen.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I have to disagree. Aperture is the exact program you want to use the touch up photos. It is an excellent tool to adjust, fix, crop, alter photos. It is not photoshop, but offers dozens and dozens of adjustment and corrections. I've been using Aperture for years and I love it, but I know that Adobe Lightroom is also very good.

It depends on the extent of touch ups. If you want to adjust levels, exposure, recover highlights from RAW files, etc., Aperture is great. That's what I use it for.

I was just pointing out that if you want to do anything more along the lines of "painting" or using layers, that's not what Aperture (or Lightroom) are for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.