Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bob_mansfield-150x171.jpg
AllThingsD offers a look at the back-and-forth situation with Apple executive Bob Mansfield, who announced his retirement as hardware chief in late June only to rescind the move two months later in order to work on special projects under CEO Tim Cook. With this week's management changes, Mansfield is now heading up a new "Technologies" division and has committed to remaining at the company for at least two more years.

AllThingsD notes that Mansfield was indeed serious about retiring earlier this year and was enticed to stay on in an advisory capacity to ease the transition. But his all-in commitment to head the new Technologies division was reportedly influenced in no small part by the impending departure of iOS chief Scott Forstall.
As one source close to the company told AllThingsD, "The timing of Bob's return is not coincidental."

To begin, Mansfield was not a fan of Forstall's confrontational management style, and sources said he generally tried to avoid the iOS exec. Indeed, Bloomberg last year reported that Mansfield would meet with Forstall only if Cook was present to mediate. I've heard many similar stories.

"It wasn't a him-or-me situation," one source said of Mansfield's return and Forstall's ouster. "But, put it this way, I think Bob was much more willing to commit to two more years once he knew Scott was on his way out."
Mansfield is just one of several senior Apple executives taking on new roles in the restructuring, with design guru Jony Ive adding software design to his existing hardware design responsibilities, Eddy Cue picking up Siri and Maps, and Craig Federighi adding iOS to his OS X responsibilities.

Article Link: Bob Mansfield's Return to Apple Reportedly Influenced by Scott Forstall's Departure

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Wow, who knew Forstall was so disliked? I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens with Apple's products over the next 2-3 years, now that there seems to be less divisiveness in the company.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Hey MacRumors,

Have you considered making an Apple drama forum?

Thanks.

I would totally read that.

Wow, who knew Forstall was so disliked? I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens with Apple's products over the next 2-3 years, now that there seems to be less divisiveness in the company.

Hopefully at the very least, consistency in UI between the various apps and parts of iOS. That stitched-leather thing...*shudder*

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not surprised by this at all. It seems that Tim Cook decided that Jony Ive + Bob Mansfield were more valuable to the company than Scott Forstall. The whole "un-retirement" thing seemed orchestrated.

On top of that, it's worth pointing out that Mansfield signed an apology letter over the EPEAT matter. Perhaps Tim Cook's theme is that since none of the executives left is Steve Jobs, he won't tolerate Steve Jobs-like egos.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I didn't see this coming but I think it could be a positive change.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It's clear now that Scott was only kept because Steve liked him. Thank Goodness Steve highly recommended Tim and not Scott.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

According to the NY Times article, there could be some UI changes coming to iOS 7.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Got nothing to say but best wishes for scott forstall and his future endeavours.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Working lots of hours and high stress contributes to many heated arguments there. I can understand someone wanting to just retire from it. That Bob guy seems like a cool person.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Bob is my favorite Apple Executive, hopefully he'll present during the next keynote :)

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Its kind of sad to see people egg this on. Forstall was with the company for a very long time.

It would be interesting to see the actual facts of why Apple employees don't like him. I guess rumors will suffice.

On another note, I really like Bob Mansfield :apple::cool:

Kev.LoveMac

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
Hope it is a new era

Personally, I think Mr. Tim Cook is a better CEO for a company like Apple Inc., in comparison to the man whom I think is one of the most important man in the world in the last twenty years.
On managing a huge company like Apple, Mr. Tim Cook seems to hold more talent than his predecessor. The only reason is that I believe this an era in which only a great team can change the world.:)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I'm actually fairly shocked at how many of the top executives at Apple disliked Forstall. At least now, perhaps we'll start to see iOS change up a little bit.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
No, probably not. But that's kind of irrelevant, SJ is no longer CEO.

Judging by the rumours, Forstall offered very little to Apple, apart from negativity. No company needs employees like that.

Forstall offered very little to Apple? You were the HR person at Apple when all this happened?

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Wow, I never would have guess that Forstall was a little punk :rolleyes:

I can't wait until we get some real features in iOS..

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I think it is clear now that Forstall was the reason there has been little innovation in iOS. Hopefully now he has gone, the shackles are removed and they can finally start moving forward with UI design and functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.