Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Twelve South Releases New MacBook Desktop Stand

South Carolina-based Twelve South has released a new adjustable desktop stand designed to compliment Apple's sleek aluminum notebooks. The HiRise for MacBook stand elevates the notebook from a few inches to half a foot off the desk, while staying nearly invisible.

TwelveSouth sells a riser for the iMac as well, also called the HiRise.

Quote:
Twelve South's HiRise for MacBook is the only height-adjustable desktop stand that lets you turn your notebook into a comfortable desktop. Unlike a fixed stand, HiRise lets you elevate your MacBook to your most comfortable viewing height, from a few inches to half a foot off your desk. The sturdy, brushed metal stand is designed to work with MacBooks--and people--of all sizes.
HiRise for MacBook is available for $70 on the Twelve South website and Apple's online and retail stores.

Article Link: Twelve South Releases New MacBook Desktop Stand
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2
JaySoul
macrumors 6502a

Nice stand but with the usual Apple premium attached.
JaySoul is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3
daneoni
macrumors G4

Nice but a bit too pricey.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
Nice but a bit too pricey.
As with most accessories that are related to Apple products.

... But I like (most of) the designs so I usually fall for them.

Last edited by Simplicated; Nov 1, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Simplicated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:36 PM   #5
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Sold

I'm buying it.

I've chatted with the owner Andrew and he's a standup guy. I love that he is as uncompromising as Apple when it comes to design.

Plus he's Mac only. I'll support him..even if that means paying a slight premium.
nuckinfutz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6
reden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Sold

I'm buying it.

I've chatted with the owner Andrew and he's a standup guy. I love that he is as uncompromising as Apple when it comes to design.

Plus he's Mac only. I'll support him..even if that means paying a slight premium.
Nice try Andrew.
reden is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #7
BigPrince
macrumors 68020

half a foot is still "only a few inches" ...
BigPrince is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
HabSonic
macrumors regular

The Macbook doesn't feel secured...
HabSonic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:54 PM   #9
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
Nice try Andrew.
LOL

I wish I had his design skills.

He said he worked on this HiRise product for years. I was getting ready to buy the Belkin Loft which is $59

But who wouldn't pay a bit more for the HiRise that is adjustable height and better looking?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabSonic View Post
The Macbook doesn't feel secured...
The contact surface has a rubber looking lining. It shouldn't slip
nuckinfutz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:55 PM   #10
extricated
macrumors regular

I really like Twelve South products. Great designs.

$70? Not for me ... but if there wasn't a market for it, they wouldn't be selling them at that price.
extricated is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:00 PM   #11
macduke
macrumors 68030

I bought an mStand from Rain Design for my 15" Retina. The height is good, but the angle was too shallow to be able to use a bluetooth keyboard underneath it without my hands hitting it. So I just put it flat on the floor, stood on the bottom of the stand with my feet, and pulled up on the top with my hands in small, quick motions until it was tall enough. I was careful, so it's level and bent evenly. I freaking love that stand, and it's $45 on Amazon. So if you want a good looking stand, don't need adjustable height, and want to save some money, I recommend the mStand. And if you don't mind bending it a little (which it doesn't bend easily, but worked fine in my case), then you can use it with a keyboard underneath so you can be close to that beautiful retina screen.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:02 PM   #12
Redbeard25
macrumors regular

Don't tell anyone... I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop stand for my 15" Mac Book Pro. Works great, built like a tank.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.ph...on=item&id=895

Now someone build me a mag-safe dock for the four cords I have to plug and unplug all the time.. I tried a Henge dock, but it a) wouldn't align with my Apple-mis-aligned displayport port and b) wouldn't let me hold the cover open to use as a second screen. I'm thinking *maybe* sugru.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:26 PM   #13
chuckles:)
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post
Don't tell anyone... I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop stand for my 15" Mac Book Pro. Works great, built like a tank.
HERESY!!! Someone fetch the tar and feathers!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:32 PM   #14
CosmoCopus
macrumors member

Wow ..a "nearly invisible" stand ..what will they think of next?
CosmoCopus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:34 PM   #15
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

X-Stand Pro by 12 South

I have the X-Stand Pro. The High Rise is a spinoff, not much difference between the two. I like the X-Stand better because it comes with a shorten extender which allows easy typing with your palms resting comfortably on the Macbook. It looks sharp though.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:40 PM   #16
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Is there a picture of it without a Macbook on top? I'd like to see how much desk space it takes up when I am not using it...

I have the BookArc right now and it is great for my MBA 11", but at some point I may upgrade to the retina MBP and would not want to waste the screen in clamshell mode.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
Is there a picture of it without a Macbook on top? I'd like to see how much desk space it takes up when I am not using it...

I have the BookArc right now and it is great for my MBA 11", but at some point I may upgrade to the retina MBP and would not want to waste the screen in clamshell mode.
Here, top left.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Crazy for just a stand.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:12 PM   #19
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Hah... $70 is too steep? Based on what? That 70 is a bigger number than ten? Some of you really have no idea how much it costs to produce short run products like this.

$70 is steep... in our industry, we make products of similar materials and processes, but you'd be lucky to get a quote under $300 per for something like this. Imagine $100,000 min tool & die cost, + a few weeks of prototyping at $180/hr, +...
ThunderSkunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:52 PM   #20
PsychoLogicXen
macrumors member

Quote:
half a foot is still "only a few inches" ...
Exactly!
PsychoLogicXen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 03:58 PM   #21
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macduke View Post
I bought an mStand from Rain Design for my 15" Retina. The height is good, but the angle was too shallow to be able to use a bluetooth keyboard underneath it without my hands hitting it.
You do realize that the space underneath is for storing the keyboard? When you are typing just pull the keyboard forward.

In my case I just use the keyboard on the Macbook when it's on the stand. But that's probably not very comfortable for a lot of folk.
ArcaneDevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:28 PM   #22
waqas
macrumors newbie

No offence, but I don't think buying such an accessory has anything more to offer than a simple design aesthetic. I can't deny it looks cool though.

I could acheive something similar by using a pile of books over which to place my mac, no?
waqas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 07:33 PM   #23
vito
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqas View Post
No offence, but I don't think buying such an accessory has anything more to offer than a simple design aesthetic. I can't deny it looks cool though.

I could acheive something similar by using a pile of books over which to place my mac, no?
Not entirely the same effect though! I think it's well priced as here in the UK, the mstand is availed at a similar price point.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:06 AM   #24
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqas View Post

I have a home office. I am very organized and I put a lot of planning and thought into how I wanted my desk and the room to appear. Aesthetics were important to me. That is why I bought the X-Stand Pro and, to a large extent, why I bought the MBP. Yeah, I paid the premium for the stand, but the way I looked at it, it will last a very long time. I might as well buy what I like as opposed to settling for something less. Books or a cement block would not work for me. A benefit of having a stand like the X-Pro or the Hi-Rise is it allows air to pass underneath. This helps with cooling when running cpu intense programs.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:29 AM   #25
waqas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGregory View Post
A benefit of having a stand like the X-Pro or the Hi-Rise is it allows air to pass underneath. This helps with cooling when running cpu intense programs.
Now this above seems a better reason.

A pile of books won't give you the space underneath as you said ...

Aesthetics are important to some ... True.

It'd be cool though if Twelve South came up with a stand that looked like stacked books (like their BookBook and other sleeves), but at the same time it was adjustable. Would eliminate the point of it though (no space and air flow issues).
waqas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion