Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:57 AM   #26
superman23
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Nice stand but with the usual Apple premium attached.

i bet you couldn't copy it and sell it for less. in fact, i bet you couldnt make one of these for $70, or 1000 of them for $70,000. i'll even allow you to make it in China.
superman23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:24 PM   #27
Supa_Fly
macrumors 68030

Send a message via MSN to Supa_Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles:) View Post
HERESY!!! Someone fetch the tar and feathers!
I'm VERY VERY curious about the basis of where LooneyToons got this from. hmm.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:19 PM   #28
JoeShlabotnick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
designed to compliment Apple's sleek aluminum notebooks.
I compliment the designers on their complementary desktop stand.
JoeShlabotnick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:20 AM   #29
KdParker
macrumors 68020

I never found a need for these stands. Does look nice however.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:32 PM   #30
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

South Carolina-based Twelve South has released a new adjustable desktop stand designed to compliment Apple's sleek aluminum notebooks. The HiRise for MacBook stand elevates the notebook from a few inches to half a foot off the desk, while staying nearly invisible.

TwelveSouth sells a riser for the iMac as well, also called the HiRise.

HiRise for MacBook is available for $70 on the Twelve South website and Apple's online and retail stores.

Article Link: Twelve South Releases New MacBook Desktop Stand
Nice car jack, i mean laptop stand
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:06 AM   #31
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Cheap/Broken/Do NOT Buy

So I own the Rain mStand, and this new Twelve South looked nice... in the pix. So I got one. What a piece of junk. I took it out and thought I was missing a piece. It's so light, I thought it would fall over. It's thickest part is about half as thick as the mStand, and it's not all aluminum. I broke one of the arms that the computer rests on. The grips on the bottom of the unit do not grip. I used it on a flat wooden table (sealed) and it was moving all over the place.

It has aluminum color, but the arms are definitely not aluminum, it simply broke off, clean break. Alloy?

Also the grips that are supposed to grip the computer, along with the grips on the bottom that don't work, I wouldn't trust this with my computer on it. They tell you not to type while the computer is one, but they should tell you not to be near this when your computer is on it. I'd rather lose $70 than $2k.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:13 AM   #32
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
So I own the Rain mStand, and this new Twelve South looked nice... in the pix. So I got one. What a piece of junk. I took it out and thought I was missing a piece. It's so light, I thought it would fall over. It's thickest part is about half as thick as the mStand, and it's not all aluminum. I broke one of the arms that the computer rests on. The grips on the bottom of the unit do not grip. I used it on a flat wooden table (sealed) and it was moving all over the place.

It has aluminum color, but the arms are definitely not aluminum, it simply broke off, clean break. Alloy?

Also the grips that are supposed to grip the computer, along with the grips on the bottom that don't work, I wouldn't trust this with my computer on it. They tell you not to type while the computer is one, but they should tell you not to be near this when your computer is on it. I'd rather lose $70 than $2k.
I don't know what to make of your complaint. I own the X-Stand Pro. The Hi-Riser is a spin-off of the X-Stand. The X-Stand Pro is a rock solid, quality device. I find it hard to believe that the Hi-Riser is the way you describe it unless the one you purchased is defective.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:58 PM   #33
designs216
macrumors 65816

I dig the aesthetics of Twelve South, though the products don't come cheap. I bought the BookArc a few days ago and really like the simple utility of it. It doesn't hold the cords efficiently but perhaps it's incentive to upgrade my monitor to the upcoming TB display.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:07 PM   #34
zankou
macrumors newbie

i bought the hirise macbook desktop stand yesterday. the apple store did not have it on display but found one in back when i asked about it. sadly, i just returned it today and purchased an mstand instead.

the hirise had poor build quality and just felt cheap. the silicone grip on the arms was slightly misaligned and could be lifted up on the edges. even the height adjustment was clunky.

the mstand feels much more sturdy and actually rises my laptop higher off the desk than the hirise at its tallest setting. furthermore, it's easier to center my laptop on the mstand due to its design, based on the little notch in the front lip. conversely, with the hirise, it's more guesswork, and the laptop screen can be crooked if not centered properly.

obviously, i would not recommend the hirise at all.
zankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:16 PM   #35
macduke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
You do realize that the space underneath is for storing the keyboard? When you are typing just pull the keyboard forward.

In my case I just use the keyboard on the Macbook when it's on the stand. But that's probably not very comfortable for a lot of folk.
That's great if you have a desk with enough depth. At the time, my wrists were hanging off the edge when I would do this and it made them hurt. I also wanted to sit closer so the screen since I do a lot of detailed work and I have a retina display. For my purposes I needed to type under the stand and it was easy to modify it to do so. Typing at a higher angle on the MacBook itself hurts my wrists. I always have my hands on the keyboard because I use a lot of shortcuts in Adobe Creative Suite apps and do a lot of coding.
macduke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:54 PM   #36
vito
macrumors 6502

I've been contemplating the mstand until the twelve south came along. I have just recently sent back the mstand360 due to missing rubber pads. I've had a good look at the twelvesouth on display at the Apple store and it seems very sold, staff said its been on display for a while when asked how could the rubber grips are. They have the stand bolted to the table so it makes it hard to inspect.

Is the build quality really that bad? Anyone happy with theirs over the mstand?

Thanks!
vito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:28 AM   #37
rkdiddy
macrumors 65816

Disappointed as Well

I purchased this for my rMBP / ACD setup - so I could use both monitors. Coming from a TwelveSouth Book Arc I'm very shocked by the quality of this product.

The first thing I noticed when I removed it from the box was it appeared the finish was pitted and scratched in a few areas. Since my laptop will be sitting on it most of the time - I can overlook these imperfections.

Next, I placed my laptop on the stand. To my shock, the stand was quite wobbly. I adjusted it thinking it was due to the adjusting screw in the back not being tight, but that didn't solve the issue. It actually wobbles between the base and the pole. After doing some research it appears this is somewhat a common issue. While some say people have the stand upside down (causing the wobble), I can say I have the stand orientated correctly.

I will be sending this back. I'm very disappointed, this wouldn't be acceptable on a $29.99 stand, let alone a $70 stand.

advertising : design : marketing : print : social media : web - www.risencreative.com
rkdiddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:47 AM   #38
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
Nice try Andrew.
Ha ha. It's funny because its true.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion