Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
A question, before I visit my local AT&T store (can't be sure they'll give me the whole truth):

My wife has a Verizon iPad LTE. I won't bore you with why. Our family has AT&T phones on the AT&T Family Share Plan, with 6GB shared.

My wife is currently paying $20 a month for 1GB of data with Verizon, prepaid. A couple of times she has used up the data is less than a month.
With an AT&T SIM I could add her to our Family Share Plan for $10 a month and she would have access to up to 6GB of data each month (we have not used more than 3GB in a month so far).

This seems like a good way to save $10 a month and avoid selling her iPad for an AT&T model (the plus would be an upgrade to the 4th gen, the minus is a $300 - 400 loss). I know she will get AT&T HSPA+ only, but that is still pretty quick and I don't think she'll notice the difference.

Anything I'm missing? Should I be able to get a free SIM from AT&T?

Last edited:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
A question, before I visit my local AT&T store (can't be sure they'll give me the whole truth):

My wife has a Verizon iPad LTE. I won't bore you with why. Our family has AT&T phones on the AT&T Family Share Plan, with 6GB shared.

My wife is currently paying $20 a month for 1GB of data with Verizon, prepaid. A couple of times she has used up the data is less than a month.
With an AT&T SIM I could add her to our Family Share Plan for $10 a month and she would have access to up to 6GB of data each month (we have no used more than 3GB in a month so far).

This seems like a good way to save $10 a month and avoid selling her iPad for an AT&T model (the plus would be an upgrade to the 4th gen, the minus is a $300 - 400 loss). I know she will get AT&T HSPA+ only, but that is still pretty quick and I don't think she'll notice the difference.

Anything I'm missing? Should I be able to get a free SIM from AT&T?

You won't get LTE on AT&T. The verizon model has different LTE frequencies than AT&T. You will HSPA+ or psuedo 4G. ;)

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You won't get LTE on AT&T. The verizon model has different LTE frequencies thanAT&T. You will HSPA+ or psuedo 4G. ;)

He clearly said he knows that. But that aside, I believe it should work. The Verizon iPhone five works like that, but I'm not positive about the iPad.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
He clearly said he knows that. But that aside, I believe it should work. The Verizon iPhone five works like that, but I'm not positive about the iPad.

It should work. All iPads are SIM unlocked.

The previous Verizon 3G iPad did not have SIM for GSM networks, but I believe they added the SIM for the LTE models.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Thanks for the answers folks. I think I'll talk to AT&T to confirm. The only remaining questions are:
1) What will Verizon charge me to give me a new micro-SIM when the time comes to sell?
2) Will I be able to pry the iPad out of my wife's hands long enough to take it to an AT&T store and get it set up?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I went to my local AT&T store and the manager said that a Verizon iPad won't work on AT&T's network.
I then talked to AT&T live chat online and the CSR told me that 'Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM' so it wouldn't work.

Perhaps I'll just pull the SIM out of one of the phones and put it into the iPad to test it...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.