Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Just want to know what best deals you've managed to get for your iPhone 5 in the UK ?

Orange are offering me £36 per month, unlimited calls/text 1GB internet . £109.99 for the handset. Which is the same deal they offer to new customers and I am annoyed at the face I do not get any discount on it .

I was offered £5 of per month when I spoke to a person in the call centre, but I couldn't go through with the deal then for various issues; now they do not seem to offer that at all and state "we do not offer loyalty discounts on the iPhone".

How can this be possible when I spoke to someone who could ?

Very annoyed and putting me off purchasing the iPhone 5 at all !

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Orange are terrible for customer loyalty discounts, I was with them for 4 years and at both renewals all I got offered was some cheap crappy android phone for free or £1 a month off my bill. A decent phone upgrade would cost me the same as what a new customer would pay - thankfully the company pays my phone bill now and I'm happy with the iPhone 4 :)

DionysusTheVino

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
What if he doesn't like it? And why'd you recommend the S3, when theres the nexus 4 which is better in every way but 3 ways: removable battery, LTE, and storage. Plus, the nexus 4 is half the price, so I don't see any reason to justify that much money for those few features

So it doesn't have 2 of the most important features to people who buy smartphones at this level. Gotcha.

Last edited:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I was offered £5 of per month when I spoke to a person in the call centre, but I couldn't go through with the deal then for various issues; now they do not seem to offer that at all and state "we do not offer loyalty discounts on the iPhone".
That was probably something their supervisor allowed them to do at the time, not a policy. If you get through to someone else they could be more or less generous. It should be common sense that if an offer isn't advertised you should grab it with both hands when you can.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
If you do the sums, it's cheaper overall to buy the phone outright, and get a sim-only plan. Of course, that does mean you need a large outlay, but it might be worth looking into how much credit would cost for the same period.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you do the sums, it's cheaper overall to buy the phone outright, and get a sim-only plan. Of course, that does mean you need a large outlay, but it might be worth looking into how much credit would cost for the same period.

That's what I do. Buy outright and pay O2 £15 a month. Works out cheaper in the end. Plus I'm free to move around and upgrade when I like. I tried an orange sim and the signal was awful. I had the offer of an orange work phone a few years ago but turned them down due to poor reception.
As for the people offering other phone brands with LTE, don't make me laugh. He's in the UK!

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
They dont offer discounts on the iPhone 5 simply because they don't need to

They know people want it and will most likely buy it no matter what the price is

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Ee

I got a 12 month contract with EE, turrently the only 4G provider in the UK.

£56 a month for unlimited calls and texts, plus 3GB of data.

16GB iPhone 5 for £49.99

This works out only £10 more over the 12 months than buying the phone outright and getting a cheap £15 a month SIM (which wouldn't have 4G). Plus the cost is spread out.

Sounded too good to be true, and it was. The phone price was a mistake on the website, it went up to £159.99 the day after I ordered. EE did the right thing and honoured it though!

4G speed is terrific when you can get a signal on it. 11Mb down and up. Faster than my fixed line broadband.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I got a 12 month contract with EE, turrently the only 4G provider in the UK.

£56 a month for unlimited calls and texts, plus 3GB of data.

16GB iPhone 5 for £49.99

This works out only £10 more over the 12 months than buying the phone outright and getting a cheap £15 a month SIM (which wouldn't have 4G). Plus the cost is spread out.

Sounded too good to be true, and it was. The phone price was a mistake on the website, it went up to £159.99 the day after I ordered. EE did the right thing and honoured it though!

4G speed is terrific when you can get a signal on it. 11Mb down and up. Faster than my fixed line broadband.

Wow it's expensive ! But still yuo get more data than i'll be getting.

I'm getting the o2 unlimited mins/text £26 per month 1GB data £260 for the phone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.