Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:46 PM   #1
digital.l0gic
macrumors member

IDC: Android claims 75 percent of smartphone shipments in Q3, 136 million handsets so

Quote:
Android devices already counted for a lion's share of phones shipped during Q2, and now fresh IDC figures show Google's OS claiming the top spot with a hefty 75 percent marketshare in the third quarter. In total, 136 million Android handsets were shipped during the time frame, a new record in a single quarter.

Even with the help of new hardware, iOS lagged behind in second place with a 14.9 percent stake of handsets. Both Blackberry and Symbian clung to their respective 3rd and 4th place spots, making up 6.6 percent of total shipments. Windows-based phones (both WP7 and Windows Mobile) fell to 2 percent, keeping Microsoft in fifth place just above smartphones running Linux. However, with Windows Phone 8 devices making their debut, we wouldn't be surprised to see Redmond's numbers get a boost when IDC's next report rolls around.

link
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/01/a...llion-shipped/
Not meant to flame, just posting it cos I was surprised to see the news stating that Android reached this milestone this quickly.

I still remember reading about Android in 2008 and realizing even then, that it is the "PC vs Mac" war all over again. There was absolutely no doubt on my mind regarding the end result. A result which is becoming more and more apparent today. I knew that the IOS would be relegated to the single digit market share one day..and it seems to be the case when one looks at the trend.

PS: Before someone points out the Billions Apple has...allow me to say
1 I don't care how much a company profits
2 In the long run reduced marketshare = reduced profits = irrelevancy.

Imo Google plays the Long term game and it seems to be bearing fruit. Just my two cents.
digital.l0gic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices