Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPod Touch 4G or iPod Nano 7G

• iPod Touch 4G

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • iPod Nano 7G

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I'm weighing this up at the moment, but leaning towards the iPod touch for various reasons as below:

- Most of the iPod docks are still incompatible with the new "lightning" port.... So the iPod Touch straight away has more accessories.
- The iPod Touch 4G has a bigger screen and a full version of iOS making it easier to navigate.
- The iPod Touch supports Airplay as well as Bluetooth for more connectivity.

I don't really need 16gb of torage or the extra colours. I can get an 8GB 4G iPod touch through the refurb store for the same price as the iPod Nano, I strongly doubt my mother has 8GB worth of music.

The primary use for it will be portable music and hooking it up to an iPod speaker dock at home. The new iPod Touch range is a little too expensive and I don't need Airplay video, just Airplay audio or Bluetooth.

Am I missing something or is the iPod Touch 4G the answer I'm looking for?

bruceclay85

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I'm weighing this up at the moment, but leaning towards the iPod touch for various reasons as below:

- Most of the iPod docks are still incompatible with the new "lightning" port.... So the iPod Touch straight away has more accessories.
- The iPod Touch 4G has a bigger screen and a full version of iOS making it easier to navigate.
- The iPod Touch supports Airplay as well as Bluetooth for more connectivity.

I don't really need 16gb of torage or the extra colours. I can get an 8GB 4G iPod touch through the refurb store for the same price as the iPod Nano, I strongly doubt my mother has 8GB worth of music.

The primary use for it will be portable music and hooking it up to an iPod speaker dock at home. The new iPod Touch range is a little too expensive and I don't need Airplay video, just Airplay audio or Bluetooth.

Am I missing something or is the iPod Touch 4G the answer I'm looking for?

iPod touch seems to be right up her alley. Not to mention that she can surf the web, play games and read on it. Though I don't know how well reading would go.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
iPod touch seems to be right up her alley. Not to mention that she can surf the web, play games and read on it. Though I don't know how well reading would go.

Being able to connect to and surf the web at home is a nice little added bonus. I can't really justify a new iPod Touch when shes already got a better camera and doesn't need Airplay video or the extra added power to play games or what not.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Dude, I thought brand new 8GB ipod touch is like 10 bucks more expensive than Nano Gen 7 or am i wrong? 16G touch gen 4 is around 50 more. I dont know, its up to you but I wouldn't get refurbished stuff for my mom. I dont even get one for me.

Back to your choice, i absolutely think that the touch is better if you compare to the overpriced nano. Also you probably have like couple of 30 pin sync cable already. Save more bucks. If she doenst surf then she wouldn't get frustrated from the page refresh.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Dude, I thought brand new 8GB ipod touch is like 10 bucks more expensive than Nano Gen 7 or am i wrong?

http://store.apple.com/au/product/FC540ZP/A/refurbished-ipod-touch-8gb-black
http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_nano
http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch
http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch_4thgeneration

16G touch gen 4 is around 50 more. I dont know

You're a little wrong.

its up to you but I wouldn't get refurbished stuff for my mom. I dont even get one for me.

8GB of music is still a shed load of music, and the refurbs are just old stock for the most part that Apple sells at reduced prices.

Back to your choice, i absolutely think that the touch is better if you compare to the overpriced nano. Also you probably have like couple of 30 pin sync cable already. Save more bucks. If she doenst surf then she wouldn't get frustrated from the page refresh.

I guess the weigh up is between a new touch and a 4G touch then, she has a phone and a camera, but wants an iPod for an iPod dock, a 4G touch offers bluetooth as well as airplay for music and the 30 pin sync cable that fits most of the docks out there.

The issue is whether I spend the money to buy one new or grab a refurb, I guess it's $50 for another 8GB of storage space and it's non upgradable, plus I can get it gift wrapped and engraved if I go with a new one, I really should be a tight ass, but I hadn't had a good look at the difference in price.

I think the 4G touch will be a good fit, I don't see her wanting to get into airplay mirroring or her having any need to make use of any of the extra power of the new Touch. I guess if she wants mobile internet she can even pair it with her phone for 3G connectivity.

Unless there's any other suggestions I might order up an iPod Touch 4G in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I recommend the iPod Touch 4G... for many of the reasons already listed. Keep an eye out for accessories (cases, cables, docks, chargers, etc.) Stores are already starting to clearance these items that use the old connector... there are bargains to be had.

I've owned my 64GB 4G iPod Touch for over 2 years and although I did not upgrade to iOS 6, it is still snappy and actually performs a little better than it did when brand new (iOS 4.0 had issues).

Last edited:

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I recommend the iPod Touch 4G... for many of the reasons already listed.

Thanks Sracer, I've noticed a lot of cheap 30 pin docks being moved out on clearance lately. The good thing is that these iPods will also do airplay/bluetooth to work with newer docks.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
You'd be surprised how fast 8 GB of space can vanish. While she may not have 8 GB of music, she may start getting into Audio books and other long/large content. Also even pocket sized video can get really bulky when you start talking TV show season.

So here's the literal 50 dollar question. How much is she going to travel with the iPod? Along with that what is the longest period she would be away from her computer? How comfortable (tech savvy) is she with being able to swap music and video (and to a degree Apps) through the iTunes interface, out of iCloud.

As an addition if she's comfortable with the home computer and iTunes, it is still possible to Share the iTunes library with a remote device and stream content over WiFi to the iPod in its speaker/dock. However this requires that the computer be on as well.

In terms of other space use, like for Apps, it all depends on what her hobbies and interests are. Also what does she currently do for employment (if any) and what productive Apps may she eventually start looking at.

Speaking as a techy person with my 64GB iPod 3rd Gen I'm running 20+ GB in music/audio-books/pod-casts, 20+ GB in Apps (ranging from a few 1GB games to things like iWorks & Garageband), plus and odd 2 GB in "other" which is all the junk I keep in GoodReader which acts like a semi-flashdrive for file storage.

A good way to judge would be look at her computer usage and then extrapolate to what she'll want "on the go" with her. And be generous, because very often people don't know what they'll want "on the go" until they say "I wish I could do X here way from my computer" with that X begin something like tweaking or initial layout of comics in something like Comic Life.

Sorry to throw a lot at you, but IMO more is often better if you can afford it. Especially when it isn't upgradeable. It really comes down to use. And how often you're willing/able to swap data to and from ones main computer.

----------

I would go with the iPod Touch 4G or the iPad mini.

Feh, if he was in the range for an iPad Mini I'd say get a 'refurbished' iPad 3. Same point about the 30-pin dock connector and its a better/large screen.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
If I were looking at an iPad Mini it would be for the point of her watching music video on a decent sized screen, concerts really, things like that. She has expressly stated she would like something that's dockable. The iPod Touch really gives you the best options of current and future docking technologies.

I'm really not sure that the iPad will be too bulky to pick up on the go and carry around all day. If it were a toss up between a 5G iPod Touch and an iPad Mini it would be the mini every day of the week.

As to software I'm really not sure where this stands, accounting software from professional companies MYOB (in Australia) and Quickbooks, are not feature rich enough to rate a mention in terms of apps to use in a business/work sense as a real alternative and if you were going to go that far you'd be better off in the 11" MacBook Air/Netbook market, but I'm sure she would in time be able to find thing to fill space with.

Hmmm.... She does read a lot so an iPad Mini as a book reader might be an option, but I'm not so sure she just doesn't prefer paper books and is of that generation. Although, time would tell if she had an iPad Mini as to whether or not she would actually use the Book Store.

To be honest the iPad wasn't really even on my radar, but it would definitely have been ahead of the iPod Touch 5G if it were. The issue comes down to its size. It's really not that easy to pick up and take an iPad Mini with you as you go as it is to stick an iPod Touch in your pocket.

Which now, I see a use I guess for buying her an Apple TV and a couple of airplay speakers so she can watch Sting and the police, Coldplay, etc as a justification for an iPad Mini, or even a 5G iPod Touch. Yes I have a hip mother...

Hmm... conundrum... She saw a friends iPod dock and said she wanted that... The iPad Mini would almost be justifiable for watching video content, as would the iPod Touch 5G for Airplay streaming down the road. This is what happens when you start thinking of possibilities rather than guidelines. You tell me I should consider buying an iPad, I start thinking of the ways it could be used.

The downside of the Mini though is lightning and the lack of docking peripherals.

Last edited:

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Spreadsheets and accounting are one of the last things I'd want to do on an iPod, I tried and then got an iPad :p. I guess then it comes down to finding out how big her music collection is ;). Now I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if it's wireless music she wants around the house there are other options, including again using AirPlay from her computer. Currently iTunes should work to stream AirPlay (audio) to any speakers with it.

Thinking on it a bit more, the 8 GB iPod Touch 4th Gen will likely do everything she will want it do in terms of home entertainment and a bit for travel. At home it can easily drive her computer as a remote control (Apple Remote at real minimum) and pull from a larger selection of content if that becomes an issue. This kind of multi-tool use is why the iPod Touch stacks up better then the current iPod Nano.

Perhaps someday Apple will bring AirPlay mirrioning (video) to PCs :rolleyes: but until then programs like AirParrot are an option if she ever gets the need to be fancy and have an AppleTV to watch music videos.

Complete digression: I'd still strongly recommend against an iPad Mini. There still a good number of iPad 3s in the refurbished section for only a slight bit more and you get quite a difference in the screen quality. I take my iPad 2 just about everywhere and am basically down to it and a small hip bag for cables and other junk. A good case makes a huge difference in a full sized iPad "get-up-and-go" ability. Most people seem obsessed with stupid strapless folio cases. Get something like an Air Strap Med and using an iPad on the go is far more practical. Come to think of it I could probably put the hip bag on the strap for iPad instead of on my belt.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Spreadsheets and accounting are one of the last things I'd want to do on an iPod.

I had a look at the two main accounting packages here in Australia and neither MYOB (Australian based) or Quickbooks (Quicken internationally) seem to take the iPad very seriously.

I was not aware that iTunes for PC could not do Airplay mirroring, hmm... thanks for that. She has a PC at home because of the need to have access to Quickbooks as there is not a solid alternate solution for other OSs for clients she works for that have Quickbooks. I have Macs, well because I've always had a Mac of one sort or another growing up.

I guess with a 5G iPod Touch you can do mirroring from the device itself though and use Windows just for syncing and your home sharing library, but the question is what else would need to be upgraded in order to make it work.

Ok so I toss and turn, the iPad gives more options down the road, but for the here and now for what she wants to do the only added advantage of the iPad would be the larger screen for watching videos. The iPod touch 5G has airplay mirroring, but my mothers TV is an old CRT flat screen and I'm not sure it has HDMI or VGA for that matter.

I think in the short term to get her into the eccosystem a Touch 4G will be just fine, we can continue to talk like your local genius at your Apple store, and then you buy this and then you buy that and then you walk out the store with a whiz bang 52" LCD TV that you didn't need in the first place, or I can just call it for what she wants and get a new 16gb iPod Touch 4G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.