Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
What all do you plan on having on your phone? You're the best judge of that, not anyone else.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
32gb seems to be solid for normal iPhone users. People seem to find that they run out of space quickly with a 16gb. If you use a lot of apps then get the 32gb.

I'm thinking of going for a 64 gb for the next iPhone.

Europa13

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2009
I agree with looking at the size of your music library to determine that.

I go with 32 on my phone since I have about 8 GB of music that I sync onto it and I still have 12 GB empty space after syncing apps, books and movies. I ordered a 16 GB iPad mini since I don't plan on syncing music to it.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I think it also depends on whether you carry any other gadgets.

I just ordered a 4S with 16 since I also have a 64GB iPad.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I have the 16GB because i dont listen to 5000 songs per day or even per week, so I never need all my music at the same time. But I know some people like to listen only to 3 second clips of each song so in their case, they go through 5000+ songs per day and the extra space is neccessary.

Coastercraze

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Cedar Point
16 GB seems plenty for me at least. I don't have a whole lot of music or videos on my phone. I do have quite a few games though most are under 100 MB in size except for GTA 3 which is around 689 MB.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
32GB for me, based purely on music. However I only use about 16GB of space for music, the rest I reserve for apps, pictures and a few video clips, always leave about 3-4 GB free just in case. The only reason I put some much music on is because I drive about 2 hours round trip to school 4 days a week and I hate listening to the radio. So large playlists are what I do to keep the music new daily. Because of the extra space I have, I've downloaded more games than when I had a 16GB. Larger games like Epoch, Dark Knight Rises, Real Racing, Infinity Blade, NOVA 3, etc. I also keep 4 separate email accounts synced on there as well.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I stream music and video from my desktop using StreamToMe, so 16GB is plenty for apps and taking pictures.

Honestly though, the iPhone 5 should've been 32GB for 699$ and 64GB for 799$. My 2+ year old iPhone 4 had 16GB for the same price as the 5... Kinda crappy from Apple.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I have always bought the 16GB model, except with the original, i bought the 8GB lol.

I don't put almost any music on it. I only put maybe 10 albums, and those are absolute personal classics i can listen to a million times. i like to stream music, so i can hear new interesting stuff that i haven't heard.

And pictures, i always transfer my pictures to my computer and delete off the phone every few hundred i take. I don't feel comfortable having so many pictures on my phone.

And then apps, i have lots of apps. But not tons. i use every one of them. If i find myself not using something, i delete.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I use iTunes Match and Spotify.

I use plenty of apps, but not many games.

I wish Apple did a 8GB one

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Me:

4GB of music
10GB of apps
2GB of photos
2GB of other

Leave room for me to record videos and take photos with my iPhone. I used up my 32GB, but remove tons of stuff.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Me:
4.4GB of Music
0.29GB of Pictures
1.75GB of Apps
1.47GB of Other

Remaining total of GB left: 5.7GB

When next years iPhone is released, I will be purchasing the 32GB model. I'm slowly starting to run out of available space.

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
I've tended to opt for the 32gb iPhone as I use it to watch TV shows/movies when I commute to work as well as plenty of apps.

Ended up with a 64gb 5 though which I'm still 15gb from filling up. All my music is on an iPod so I tend to keep that separate. :)

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
a 16 gb iPhone was all I could find. I'm struggling for space lol I only have 1gb left I would have got the 32gb but if it really came down to it and I had the money to afford all of them I would get the 64gb. More resale value and more enjoyment

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I wanted the 32gb, but to save money I went for the 16. My best advice, at least as it pertains to my situation, is if you're going to put a lot of music then go with the 32gb model. Since I only went for 16 I just decided to leave off all music except for what I've purchased from my phone itself. I only have 565MB of music, and still have less than half my storage available (5.6GB used, 7.9GB free).

I failed to take into account how overtime new apps will use more and more space as our phones get more powerful and can handle hardier processes. I'm pretty cheap so I can't guarantee, but I think I'd go for 32GB if I had to do it over again with what I know now.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I usually get 16 GB as I went for the cheaper option in past releases (however this was the 8GB model under the 3G, moved to 16 GB when the low end 3GS started there).

With everything the phones can do, and the cameras and picture quality, I really wanted to get the 32 GB version of the iPhone 5, with my iPhone 4 @16 GB I was having about 12 GB used. Having the extra space would give me cushion room for more photos, more apps, and all my music (about 3 GB if you count podcasts too).

Moral of the story, it may be cheap for the 16GB but if you have a lot of media, you may be making some sacrifices based on storage space. However, you should always buy what suits your needs the best.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I love the people saying : oh man 16 is enuff yo. U can have spotify yo. Offline sync yo.

Ye man. Did you know that u actually have the songs physically on your phone with that ?
Was doing a sync and then I'm looking at the space I had left: 15 gb. 5 playlists synced with about 50 songs each. Ridonkoulus. Never say spotify is the solution.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I use iTunes Match and Spotify.

I use plenty of apps, but not many games.

I wish Apple did a 8GB one

same here. games go on the ipad.
and with everything going cloud.. nothings on my iphone media wise.

----------

I love the people saying : oh man 16 is enuff yo. U can have spotify yo. Offline sync yo.

Ye man. Did you know that u actually have the songs physically on your phone with that ?
Was doing a sync and then I'm looking at the space I had left: 15 gb. 5 playlists synced with about 50 songs each. Ridonkoulus. Never say spotify is the solution.
yo no one on here said anything about offline sync yo.
yo spotify can keep me from carrying around 15 gb of music.. (because you never know what mood you are in yo)
that same collection is 0GB if you stream it yo.

but yo if youdont have unlimited data, or dont want to pay for an extra gb or 2 a month. then yo probably right it isnt the solution [for you]....yo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.