Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
While the matte black back does look very nice I am guessing it will show scratches much more than the silver backed white face version. I hope that the 2013 version does have a black faced and silver back version.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
While the matte black back does look very nice I am guessing it will show scratches much more than the silver backed white face version. I hope that the 2013 version does have a black faced and silver back version.

me. also concerned about back scratching bc I wanted to just do the smart cover on this thing. Normally I buy slightly heavier duty cases on my apple devices but for this mini...I really wanted thinnest cover as possible. And since I'd prefer black to match all my other devices, I guess I'll have to buy clear case backing for this mini.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I know what you mean. I've got a black one ordered, looks great but scratches are a concern. However, I just can't stomach white bezels on devices, for my eyes they look like ****, so there was no option but to get a black.

Maybe through years of subconscious training, but I dont "see" a black bezel, whereas I'm always conscious of a white bezel and it distracts me.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I know what you mean. I've got a black one ordered, looks great but scratches are a concern. However, I just can't stomach white bezels on devices, for my eyes they look like ****, so there was no option but to get a black.

Maybe through years of subconscious training, but I dont "see" a black bezel, whereas I'm always conscious of a white bezel and it distracts me.

I'm not so concerned about scratches, but the black back feels like it could be too much black, if you know what I mean. But I'm exactly the same way as you about a white bezel, so I'm sticking with black.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, not so fussed about "normal" usage scratches, I just hope it doesn't suffer from crazy ultra scratchy syndrome like that old iPod, or the chamfer on the 5. That said my naked 5 is still perfect nick.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Me too. The aluminum back is what sold me on the white mini. I just think it looks better and will be less prone to being scratched.

Seems like the white is far more popular, based on how quickly it sells out. I guess they could have made more black, but I doubt it.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Me too. The aluminum back is what sold me on the white mini. I just think it looks better and will be less prone to being scratched.

Seems like the white is far more popular, based on how quickly it sells out. I guess they could have made more black, but I doubt it.

One my concerns about the white front is that it would eventually yellow.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin

There was far and away more black in the supply chain than white. Best Buys in my region received zero white models in their initial shipment and near 75 black models per store.

Apple store this morning had 8 white 16GB and over 50 black 16GB according to the lady that helped me during checkout.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Love the black back. I think it's a nice change actually. I put a TPU cover on mine right out of the box so I'm not worried about scratches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.