Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:32 AM   #51
croooow
macrumors 6502a
 
croooow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon44 View Post
Hardly surprising given it's not really a flagship product, it's like queueing for the new iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsBeaTt View Post
I disagree; I had the pleasure of holding one today. It's an incredible design. If it had a Retina display, it would in all likelihood supplant my use for a full sized iPad.
Sure, it is really well made, so is the iPod touch. That does not make it a flagship product.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro ● iPad mini ● iPhone 5s
croooow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:32 AM   #52
hppy29
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: UK
Maybe people are saving spare cash towards a new iMac. As Apple want to keep people guessing how much they will need to save...

Maybe it's too close to the launch of their old iPad and people are waiting for a redesign over speed bumps

Maybe people just don't want to part cash for another iPad and hoping Santa will bring one..... And pre-ordered online
hppy29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:33 AM   #53
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzkids View Post
Keyword "if" but it doesn't. The mini is a "mee too" device because so many others are doing smaller tablets...better.

I know that the design and build is so great, but it is technology. I personally do not buy this stuff to put it in a frame or try to sell it in 20 years as a collectors piece. I buy it to use it.

I have a plastic, large bezel Kindle, made by that inferior company Amazon (sarcasm) and I love it. Apple, IMO, needs to get back to really innovating. The iPhone was an innovation. Guess we will see what J.Ive comes up with next.

Paying a premium for a device that has lackluster specs, that will only be around for a year tops, seems silly to me.

I say all this because I have been a loyal Apple fan for over 15 years. But, I recently switched to an Android Galaxy S3 phone from the iphone and I love that too. The Android store is way bigger than Apple fans like to admit. I can honestly say there is not 1 app that I had on my iphone that I did not get on my S3...that I NEEDED.

Sure the Apple app ecosystem has more apps, but I don't need a "fart" app or $999 diamond app. I;m looking for these devices to actually make my life easier (cough: iTunes...terrible)

I plan on geting that plastic Google Nexus 10, cause there is a device with some specs...and a beautiful screen.

OK, let the flaming begin....
Considering it crushes the Nexus 7 I owned, I'd hardly call it a 'me too' device; it has literally everything the full iPad has except for the raw power and resolution. The benefits it has over its competition, however, are so glaringly obvious that said competition hardly matters. And please, don't try to pull the GS3 BS on me; I own one and develop for Android as well as iOS. In terms of actual usability and experience in everyday use, it competes with the iPhone 4 (but ohgod the awful size). I wouldn't in my wildest dreams call it a competitor for the iPhone 4S let alone 5. If you like it purely for the sake of it being 'it', sure, go ahead; it's build quality is terrible, the I can't stand the OS (4.2 is an improvement, but in actual use and quality third party support it's still terrible), and the form factor is unwieldy and clumsy. Only thing it has is NFC, and that's more of a gimmick than anything else. The Nexus 10 will just be a slight refinement of the 7 with more grunt, whoopty doo. It'll still be cheap, flimsy with a lackluster OS implementation, good for nothing but getting spec monkeys to herp derp about benefits that are so insignificant when viewed from a distance. The only thing I really care about specs in is my desktop, which I use primarily for my power-gaming. One more thing about the Nexus 10; if the 7 is anything to go on, the display will have resolution on its side and that's it; colour and image response will be awful.
__________________
15" RMBP 2.6GHz16GB; 11" MBA; iPad Mini R;Gold iPhone 5S; 27" Thunderbolt Display; PC: 4GHz i7, 3GB 7970, 6GB triple channel RAM, Lian Li A71F case, Logitech G700 mouse, Apple Wireless Keyboard.
fpsBeaTt is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:33 AM   #54
iCraigy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Darlington, UK
The Newcastle Apple store in the UK had 50-60 people waiting in line this morning for the launch. When "the new iPad" launched it was closer to 200.

Tho I have to say that overall (excluding the fact it's not a retina screen) I'm impressed with the look, weight and feel of iPad mini.
__________________
 MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008), iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010), iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd Gen, iPad Mini, iPod Nano 3rd Gen, Time Capsule 1st Gen
iCraigy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:33 AM   #55
lifeinhd
macrumors 65816
 
lifeinhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 127.0.0.1
I'm kinda hoping sales are a bit lackluster, if only to encourage a price drop of $80 to get it to where it should be. Then I'll take two

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertruded View Post
The mini is crippled for marketing reasons, and not much of a value.

Apple has "jumped the shark" with their obvious crippling of their new products, especially the new iMac as well as this new mini tablet.
This. It just doesn't feel like Apple was doing its best work. More like it purposefully held back on what it's capable of, and that doesn't sit well with me.
__________________
PowerBook G5, 1.67GHz MacBook Pro, iPhone Nano, iPhone 6, Apple Television Set
lifeinhd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:40 AM   #56
croooow
macrumors 6502a
 
croooow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdix View Post
Lincoln Road Apple Store in Miami.
I am here for a black 32GB iPad mini and a white 16GB mini.
As far as I hear, they have no iPhone 5's left an there are only like 50 people ahead of me...
The stores still don't have any iPhone 5s in stock, they do get some in but those get reserved online pretty quickly.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro ● iPad mini ● iPhone 5s
croooow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:41 AM   #57
Nikos
macrumors 65816
 
Nikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
The line at the Roosevelt Field store is quite short.

EDIT: People are pouring in now.

Last edited by Nikos; Nov 2, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Nikos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:42 AM   #58
TC03
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I think this was to be expected, the iPad mini is certainly a cool device, but it's not really something new. Still, I think it will be a huge hit.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:43 AM   #59
everything-i
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzkids View Post
Keyword "if" but it doesn't. The mini is a "mee too" device because so many others are doing smaller tablets...better.

I know that the design and build is so great, but it is technology. I personally do not buy this stuff to put it in a frame or try to sell it in 20 years as a collectors piece. I buy it to use it.

I have a plastic, large bezel Kindle, made by that inferior company Amazon (sarcasm) and I love it. Apple, IMO, needs to get back to really innovating. The iPhone was an innovation. Guess we will see what J.Ive comes up with next.

Paying a premium for a device that has lackluster specs, that will only be around for a year tops, seems silly to me.

I say all this because I have been a loyal Apple fan for over 15 years. But, I recently switched to an Android Galaxy S3 phone from the iphone and I love that too. The Android store is way bigger than Apple fans like to admit. I can honestly say there is not 1 app that I had on my iphone that I did not get on my S3...that I NEEDED.

Sure the Apple app ecosystem has more apps, but I don't need a "fart" app or $999 diamond app. I;m looking for these devices to actually make my life easier (cough: iTunes...terrible)

I plan on geting that plastic Google Nexus 10, cause there is a device with some specs...and a beautiful screen.

OK, let the flaming begin....
Good luck with your future purchases, I honestly don't know why you bothered to comment or even read the article maybe your just insecure about your choices of technology or just generally insecure. In future maybe you would be better sticking to the Nexus and Fire forums as you obviously seem to have a problem with some sort of personal inadequacy
everything-i is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:44 AM   #60
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I'm in line at best buy for the iPad 4, 8am opening

There are 3 people waiting in their cars as opposed to about 20+ for the iPad 3 launch and the store opens in 15 minutes
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:45 AM   #61
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's November, probably the busiest month for everyone, whether you're in work or at school. I think most can't afford to miss half a day of work when they're going to get a whole week off in a few weeks time. Plus, Christmas is around the corner and there won't be shortages of these by December. Any other time and it would have been different.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:45 AM   #62
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I was 13th in line at 7:20am at a store near Atlanta. The first two arrived at 10:00pm night before. 19 people now at 7:45. Apple bought a cartfull of Starbucks coffee for us.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:46 AM   #63
v0lume4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I feel that the mini will be one of those products that end up selling more and more and more with time, as people either start to become up for a "renewal" with their current iPad, or actually are able to get their hands on one and then purchase one from there.

Word of mouth and experience will sell this more than just hype, I think.
v0lume4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:48 AM   #64
emaja
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
I am at my local Best Buy and there are just two of us in line. We're in the suburbs of Chicago so it's not a small town thing either.
emaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:49 AM   #65
Jman13
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Columbus, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzkids View Post

I plan on geting that plastic Google Nexus 10, cause there is a device with some specs...and a beautiful screen.

OK, let the flaming begin....
No flaming...but...

Yes, the Nexus 10 has specs....and no tablet apps. I say this as the owner of an Android tablet running ICS (Cyanogenmod 9). I enjoy mine, and it's nice as a diversion, but first off FINDING tablet apps in the Play store is damn near impossible if they aren't on the Google Staff Picks for Tablets list, and the ones that DO exist are pretty clunky overall. There are some good things, some nice functionality, but the design of these apps is horrid compared to the iPad (which I don't own, but I've used many, many times). When I first got my tablet, I was very excited. WIDGETS! Live Wallpapers! Loads of apps! (though, I never felt any desire to switch from my iPhone to an Android phone).

Then all the little annoyances started creeping in. The lack of polish in tablet apps...the fact that you can't find anything on the Play store, the differing interfaces between apps (yes, that's getting better, but it's got a long way to go).

The long and short of it? After a little more than a year of Android as my sole tablet platform, I found myself picking it up less and less because it sort of annoyed me. None of these faults are big faults. There are just a lot of little things that add up. And so, I'm getting an iPad Mini to replace it. (I'm also tired of the 10" size, especially for reading...the smaller size will be nice). Had I stuck with Android, I'd have gotten a Nexus 7, but I want that tablet ecosystem and polish I get with my iPhone.
Jman13 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:49 AM   #66
ctdonath
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzkids View Post
I don't need a "fart" app or $999 diamond app
Dude, we're nearing the end of 2012, not 2010. Try to keep up.
ctdonath is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:51 AM   #67
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Good luck with your future purchases, I honestly don't know why you bothered to comment or even read the article maybe your* just insecure about your choices of technology or just generally insecure. In future maybe you would be better sticking to the Nexus and Fire forums as you obviously seem to have a problem with some sort of personal inadequacy
It's called an opinion. Yes, that's right, even if you don't agree with them, they have every right to express themselves and it's still an opinion.

*Since it seems you have some difficulty with the difference between your and you're, I'll assume you need some help with this...

Opinion, noun
def: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter.

You stating that they are "insecure" and have "some sort of personal inadequacy" is nothing more than a baseless and pathetic ad hominem.

Last edited by SlCKB0Y; Nov 2, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
SlCKB0Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:52 AM   #68
TC03
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzkids View Post
Sure the Apple app ecosystem has more apps, but I don't need a "fart" app or $999 diamond app. I;m looking for these devices to actually make my life easier (cough: iTunes...terrible)
Are you even serious? The Apple ecosystem is way better because it has tons of quality apps that give a full tablet experience that will enhance your productivity. Not because of some gimmick apps you listed.

Apple ecosystem is better because of quality, not because of quantity (even though quantity is better as well).
TC03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:53 AM   #69
photographypro
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: American in Pisa (Italy)
But there are lines!

The lines may be "mini", but at least there are lines! I've NEVER heard of lines for a Samsung product
photographypro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:53 AM   #70
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
Many are saying the Mini should have been $299 (some are saying less) but would $30 really make a difference for most customers?
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:54 AM   #71
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
Has anyone bitched about how it doesn't fit in your pocket? Remember those weird iPad critics that claimed it would flop because it wasn't portable via back pocket? It was strange.

The iPad Mini is just a step in the marketing scheme of Apple, not a primary product. However, Apple is screwing up bad this year by pricing the iPT so high. There is a giant gap between shuffle and nano, nano and touch, and then everything is close in price; close enough to destroy the iPod Touch market and heavily limit the success of the iPad mini.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:55 AM   #72
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000
 
BillyBobBongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: On The Interweb Thingy!
I understand standing in line for a totally brand new product, the 1st generation of something, there's a sense of excitement to that. Makes sense to me that the lines are shorted, common sense is kicking in.
__________________
"You didn't have a bad experience with tequila, you had an experience with bad tequila!" : crushedagave
Mac Pro: 2.93GHz Quad-Core, iMac 21.5":2.7 GHz Core i5, MacBook Air: 1.8GHz i5
BillyBobBongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:58 AM   #73
tomsamson
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
The device has great fit & finish, so exterior product quality seems great as usual, but Apple made a lot of people (including me) more cautious regarding when it is a good time to buy an iOS device after launching the iPad 4 so shortly after the iPad 3.
Add on top that even not that well informed people to large degree know this is basically the hardware internals of the iPad 2, so the version with the internals of the 3 or 4 are basically a given for coming in a year if not again in way less time, makes much less people be into hurrying out to get one right away.
The competition also has more attractive devices than ever, the first time where they can compete on both better specs on many ends and better price at the same time as much as now.
Apple will surely still sell a huge load of iPad (mini)s, just not have the same huge craze for them in the scale they had em for some previous devices.
I'd like to have an iPad mini, too, but like for many others, i already have more than one large iPad so the high price of the mini combined with Apple's meanwhile completely off the rails upgrade cycle and the mini basically having two generations old hardware internals (so the "mandatory" upgrade being a given) doesn't exactly entice me to run out and get one asap.
tomsamson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:58 AM   #74
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
The media and anti-Apple trolls will have a field day, but can't say Apple doesn't deserve it this round. It's really not a "gotta have it right now" product. Ultimately, sales will be great this quarter and that is all that matters.

But I hope Apple is taking note. They need to beef up the screen and proc. next round. Instead of a mini iPad and iPad retina line they need an iPad and iPad Pro line. Sell both sizes like the MBP, but one as a "budget" model, and the other with all the tech bells and whistles. The mini shouldn't be hobbled by a two year old proc and 512GB RAM just because it's smaller.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:59 AM   #75
TC03
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
Has anyone bitched about how it doesn't fit in your pocket? Remember those weird iPad critics that claimed it would flop because it wasn't portable via back pocket? It was strange.

The iPad Mini is just a step in the marketing scheme of Apple, not a primary product. However, Apple is screwing up bad this year by pricing the iPT so high. There is a giant gap between shuffle and nano, nano and touch, and then everything is close in price; close enough to destroy the iPod Touch market and heavily limit the success of the iPad mini.
I can't believe there are still people out there who predict failure because 'Apple prices it too high'. I mean, come on, Apple product have been more expensive than competitors since the beginning of time, and yet almost all products are far more popular than competitors.

I think the iPad mini will be a huge succes. The main reason is shown below. Now add a far better build quality, very nice design, the AppStore which is superior when it comes to tablets, etc.



TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Any launch day iPad Air adopters who've had a change of heart: Today is the last day duelingdragons iPad 46 Nov 14, 2013 11:47 PM
All iPads: iPad Launch Day Lines vs. iPhone Launch Day Lines TAI182 iPad 5 Oct 7, 2013 06:29 AM
Do you think it will easy to buy an ipad mini in-store on launch day? Jacoblee23 iPad 7 Oct 31, 2012 09:36 AM
Apple Sells Out of Remaining Launch Day iPad Mini Pre-Order Stock MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 109 Oct 30, 2012 09:11 AM
iPad mini Product Red Smart Cover a availability to 3rd Party Stores on Launch Day Wolfmore iPad 7 Oct 27, 2012 02:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC