Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyallen23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
hobart, tasmania, australia
Hi guys,

I am new here, and I am studying in Tasmania, Hobart in Australia. If anybody knows this tiny tiny place I would be very glad haha.

Anyway I am new to mac, and one week ago I bought a second hand macbook white 2010 on ebay. Didn't go for the latest lines because I like those white macbook's looking. So cute. And I have upgrade it to 5 gb and a 120gb ssd. The whole lot cost me about 1000 beacause I failed at first time and took it to my local store to get it fixed for 200 bucks...

But after one week I found there were few dents and scratches on it, which made me upset. So I just ring apple and they had agreed to replace the enclosure for me...Lucky of me...It will at least look like a brand new one.

And I currently see a guy at ebay selling brand new ones( also 120gb ssd and 4gb ram with unused box&unsed power cord&booklet.....) at 1000 bucks. He got only one left.

I really like this macbook and it will be my main laptop. I am a little worried about it as its battery cycle shows as 300, and battery health as 83% in the app called battery health.Also some keys on keyboard are not that sensitive, I would say they are 80% as brand new ones.

I hope my laptop will last about 2-3 years for watching movie and web browsing, and after that I can still keep it as a collection.

So what do u guys think? Sell mine and get a new one( after replace the enclosure) or simply keep using mine with new enclosure...?

Thanks guys

Allen

Plus do I need to replace my battery? Will apple replace this for free? It last about 3-4 hours for normal use while wifi connected but took some 4 hours( don't know exactly just think it is very slow....) to charge fully, is that normal?...

Last edited:

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
It's a 2010 MacBook, I don't know why Apple told you they would replace the case just because it has some dents. Even if the previous owner bought AppleCare, that doesn't cover dents. AppleCare only covers hardware failure, not damages from using it, especially cosmetic damage like dents, scratches, etc.

Of course Apple or any Apple reseller can replace the case if you want, but they'll charge you for it.

heyallen23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
It's a 2010 MacBook, I don't know why Apple told you they would replace the case just because it has some dents. Even if the previous owner bought AppleCare, that doesn't cover dents. AppleCare only covers hardware failure, not damages from using it, especially cosmetic damage like dents, scratches, etc.

Of course Apple or any Apple reseller can replace the case if you want, but they'll charge you for it.

That's true.

Thing is I honestly told the guy on apple care that I would like to buy a new one, and had contacted apple and other reseller, but they all ran out of stock. Then guy asked his manager, Who later on asked me to send some photos. After I did that she called me back said she gave the authority to replace it...

That's why I feel lucky...

Thing is I don't think resellers should refuse to replace it after it has already been authorised by apple. Btw I am yellow, I kinda find the guy in next byte is racist.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Dealing authorized Apple repair centers is always a mixed bag, they have completely different rules, attitudes, etc. than Apple, who most of the time are pretty consistent on how they do things.

heyallen23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks for your quick reply

Dealing authorized Apple repair centers is always a mixed bag, they have completely different rules, attitudes, etc. than Apple, who most of the time are pretty consistent on how they do things.

Thanks.

Yeah I found that too, but we don't have apple store here in Tasmania. So...

Sigh...last time my iPhone went wrong and I sent it to apple, took a week or two to send me back...

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008

How much does apple charge for something like this ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.