Emoji Apps No Longer Welcome in App Store Following Native iOS 6 Support - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:40 AM   #26
glap1922
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat318 View Post
This has been Apple's stance the entire life of the app store.
Does that mean it is a good stance? Developer identifies a need/want and fills it, only to then be cast aside because apple decided that it is no longer needed. Imagine if another company did that, people be freaking out.
glap1922 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:42 AM   #27
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis
Hmmm.. Emoji apps are still there. Still in the top spots, as well..
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:43 AM   #28
Ahonen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I really can't stand those things. I wish there was a way to turn them off completely, everywhere, on every device and in every browser. I never really cared for : ) and all the other permutations, but the full color pictures are even worse. In my opinion. I guess I am the only one who hates emoticons and emoji.
Ahonen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:44 AM   #29
glap1922
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahonen View Post
I really can't stand those things. I wish there was a way to turn them off completely, everywhere, on every device and in every browser. I never really cared for : ) and all the other permutations, but the full color pictures are even worse. In my opinion. I guess I am the only one who hates emoticons and emoji.
You aren't alone...
glap1922 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:47 AM   #30
donrsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Theres no need for an app developer to make money on an app that comes standard in iOS!

If your iPhone cant be updated, tuff luck.
Apple has supported your iPhone for 2+ years - get a new one.

If you dont want to update, thats YOUR CHOICE - again, dont complain that you cant get the app now.

BRAVO APPLE!!!
__________________
PSN: DonVCorleone
The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:49 AM   #31
tatonka
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Wow .. I head now idea ..
tatonka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:50 AM   #32
jamojamo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainprayer View Post
What about people with older devices that don't want to or can't upgrade to iOS 6?
They can use them in 5 or not use them at all. Or switch to Android, choices are awesome.

It's not like they are removing the ability to receive WiFi signals from those devices, sheesh

But for those of you suffering from emoticon withdrawal I offer the following:

and finally
jamojamo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:52 AM   #33
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrsd View Post
Theres no need for an app developer to make money on an app that comes standard in iOS!

If your iPhone cant be updated, tuff luck.
Apple has supported your iPhone for 2+ years - get a new one.

If you dont want to update, thats YOUR CHOICE - again, dont complain that you cant get the app now.

BRAVO APPLE!!!

Please tell me how it hurts anyone to have these apps in the market. Are you going to suffer some sort of damages because there are apps YOU don't need or are willing to buy?

If so - maybe Apple should delete every app YOU personally won't ever need. BRAVO indeed
samcraig is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:54 AM   #34
bigcat318
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by glap1922 View Post
Does that mean it is a good stance? Developer identifies a need/want and fills it, only to then be cast aside because apple decided that it is no longer needed. Imagine if another company did that, people be freaking out.
I didn't say it was good. It just shouldn't be a surprise. It is clearly stated and is a risk you take when you enter that market.
bigcat318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:55 AM   #35
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UT
I always cringed when I saw the reviews of those emoji apps:

"This iS tEh besT eVAr!! SO fuN! DowNloaD ThiS aPp NOw!"

Meanwhile, these idiots paid $.99 - $1.99 for nothing more than an app with a set of instructions on how to enable what was already present on their phone. It's about time Apple pulled the plug on these shady apps.

It is like charging for an app that "unlocks" bluetooth, that's nothing more than instructions on how to turn BT on. Preying on the uninformed. Sad.

Oh, and I fell victim to this as well a few years back. Didn't know any better and when I found out, I felt real dumb. It's unfortunate that anyone makes money off of this.
__________________

Note 3, iPhone 5, iPad 4 LTE, 15" rMBP, 13" rMBP, 13" Air.


Last edited by coolbreeze; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
coolbreeze is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:56 AM   #36
gotluck
macrumors 68030
 
gotluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blomkvist View Post
So here's a silly question:

How do you use Emoji's without the apps?
settings - general - keyboard - international keyboards - add new keyboard - emoji

Then, use the new globe button on your standard keyboard to access the emoji keyboard

don't feel bad, I just found out too..
__________________
iPad Air LTE 7.1.2 JB (T-Mobile) - GS 4 Google Edition 4.4.4 ART (AT&T) - Windows 7 PC's - iPhone 4 6.1 JB
"Give me liberty (root access), or give me death!" - Patrick Henry
gotluck is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:56 AM   #37
bushido
macrumors 601
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: España y Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
These apps were such a scam. Only iOS users could see them when received lol. I just use copy and paste's site for symbols when texting another non iOS device.
actually any smartphone can display those "iOS" emojis by now

---

by the way, how did apple come up with those categories? what does a bell icon have to do with food for example? always baffles my mind
__________________
¡No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio!
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:03 AM   #38
jamojamo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blomkvist View Post
So here's a silly question:

How do you use Emoji's without the apps?
Ooops, already answererd

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
actually any smartphone can display those "iOS" emojis by now

---

by the way, how did apple come up with those categories? what does a bell icon have to do with food for example? always baffles my mind
Maybe a Dinner bell? or
Pavlov's bell signaling food coming for his dogs?

(Maybe they should have the bell link to their coming soon page for new hardware to get the salivating started? )

Last edited by jamojamo; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: gotluck beat me to it :)
jamojamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:04 AM   #39
Blomkvist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
settings - general - keyboard - international keyboards - add new keyboard - emoji

Then, use the new globe button on your standard keyboard to access the emoji keyboard

don't feel bad, I just found out too..
Thank-ee sai.
__________________
32 GB iPhone 5 64 GB iPad 2 27" Aluminum iMac, 3.1 GHz, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HD 13" Macbook Air 256GB
Blomkvist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:04 AM   #40
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020
 
zorinlynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida, USA
Why was Emoji ever a Japanese-only thing in the first place anyway? They're just pictures, usable by any culture with any language.

I'm glad they're on all phones now because it's a bit ridiculous to restrict something non-language-specific to a single language.
__________________
Old-school Apple ][ expert! Ask me if you have a ][ question!
Apple user 1983-1992, 2003-Present -- Linux user 1995-Present
Windows-free since 2003! Though I still have to deal with it at work.
zorinlynx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:04 AM   #41
donrsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Please tell me how it hurts anyone to have these apps in the market. Are you going to suffer some sort of damages because there are apps YOU don't need or are willing to buy?

If so - maybe Apple should delete every app YOU personally won't ever need. BRAVO indeed
It hurts because these apps clog up the market with 'apps' that are already available on iOS 5 & 6.

Either way - Apple sides with me and thats all that matters.

Go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotluck View Post
settings - general - keyboard - international keyboards - add new keyboard - emoji

Then, use the new globe button on your standard keyboard to access the emoji keyboard

don't feel bad, I just found out too..
I always knew how to enable mine, but I quoted you so your set of instructions doesnt go un-noticed.
__________________
PSN: DonVCorleone
The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:05 AM   #42
ryuok
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
It's about time Apple stop these Emoji scams.

These apps have nothing to do with adding Emoji icons. They didn't invent them, and their apps certainly don't carry them. Emoji icons are built into all iOS, and starting from iOS5 enabled for users outside Japan as well.

All you have to do is to enable the Emoji keyboard form International Setting of your phone. Why pay $1 for an app to do that for you when you can switch it on with a few clicks?

These apps try to present themselves as if they come with the icons, which without the app won't be available. God knows how much money they have made out of doing nothing, but judging by the ranking I would say not a little.
ryuok is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:09 AM   #43
geeksweep
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat318 View Post
I didn't say it was good. It just shouldn't be a surprise. It is clearly stated and is a risk you take when you enter that market.
then the developer should get his $99 back. if we invested in building a suite of tools and apple yanks them because they decide to implement what you wrote, therefore you cant make any more money off of it then do i get my $99 back?
geeksweep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:10 AM   #44
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816
 
Tankmaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
😃🌛👻🏡 wow, never knew i could enable the emoji keyboard😊😍😘😚
Tankmaze is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:12 AM   #45
donrsd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksweep View Post
then the developer should get his $99 back. if we invested in building a suite of tools and apple yanks them because they decide to implement what you wrote, therefore you cant make any more money off of it then do i get my $99 back?
Why get your $99 back when all you do is provide a set of instructions for something that comes STOCK ON APPLE DEVICES!!??

If anything, the emoji people should pay Apple back for all the $$$ they swindled out of people who knew no better.

Best part is now when I scroll thru the top 100 free & paid apps, i wont have to see those bologna emoji apps anymore
__________________
PSN: DonVCorleone
The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:12 AM   #46
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Good. 😄😜😛😁😃
dannyyankou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:12 AM   #47
Rodimus Prime
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainprayer View Post
What about people with older devices that don't want to or can't upgrade to iOS 6?
But Apple does not care about older users. They have no problem screwing over customers so they can get more money out of you.
Rodimus Prime is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:13 AM   #48
Mundty
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
I'm glad they did this, these are the kind of garbage apps that flood the Android App stores. Google should take some notes from Apple on this one, and remove apps like this.
__________________
iPhone 5 Apple TV 3rd Gen 13" MacBook Pro Mid-2009 Mac Pro 2013 (coming soon)
Mundty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:16 AM   #49
jdodoubleg
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington
Why is this news?

I've been using the Apple imoji icons since I got my iphone 4. Its been there for over 2 years people. This isn't new stuff.
jdodoubleg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:17 AM   #50
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrsd View Post
It hurts because these apps clog up the market with 'apps' that are already available on iOS 5 & 6.

Either way - Apple sides with me and thats all that matters.

Go away.
Go away? How charming. I'm so glad Apple "sides" with you. You realize it's the other way around. You're siding with Apple since they made the decision.

And the app market has a lot more problems that Emoji apps. It's like removing a cup of water from a flooded basement.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iWork Apps no longer free on 5s in App Store? erthquake iPhone and iPod touch Apps 2 Oct 25, 2013 09:01 AM
Clean install & purchased itunes apps that are no longer in the app store JeffiJers OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Oct 22, 2013 11:14 PM
iOS App Store now allows legacy app downloads to support older hardware and software! user-name-here iOS 6 4 Sep 17, 2013 08:18 AM
Mountain Lion - can no longer remove apps from app store purchased list! gwelmarten OS X 5 Feb 1, 2013 10:19 AM
'Apple Store' iOS App Gains Support for Express Checkout, Advance Check-In for In-Store Pickup MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 25 Jun 15, 2012 11:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC