Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Will removing the battery reset the EFI firmware lock on a Macbook Air 2012 model?

I have distributed Macbook Air's to my 4 employees for my personal business in financing. My question is, if one of them decides to pull the battery out, will the Firmware lock I have on it, be reset?
kdeffects is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeffects View Post
I have distributed Macbook Air's to my 4 employees for my personal business in financing. My question is, if one of them decides to pull the battery out, will the Firmware lock I have on it, be reset?
No, it won't.

MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later, MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and later, iMac (Mid 2011) and later, Mac mini (Mid 2011): Recovering a lost firmware password
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Is there any way for them to do so?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:48 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Is there any way for them to do so?
Only Apple can reset the password.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Only Apple can reset the password.
I doubt it. I'm looking on eBay, and amazon where you can send in your Mac and they will reset it for you. There has to be a way if they are doing it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Not only won't it work, I believe that Apple classify the Air as a model that the user should not attempt to remove the battery. Out of curiosity, why do you want to?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:58 PM   #7
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Not only won't it work, I believe that Apple classify the Air as a model that the user should not attempt to remove the battery. Out of curiosity, why do you want to?
I'm just concerned that's all!. Is there a reason that removing power to the EFI chip won't reset it like it does on all other models?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
I'm just concerned that's all!. Is there a reason that removing power to the EFI chip won't reset it like it does on all other models?
The way I understand it is that the EFI chip acts like the old EPROM modules, each EFI update re-programmes the chip, and that code remains power or no power....I think that's how it works....
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:11 PM   #9
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The way I understand it is that the EFI chip acts like the old EPROM modules, each EFI update re-programmes the chip, and that code remains power or no power....I think that's how it works....
Alright good thing then. Why am I seeing this on eBay and other sites though? They will take it and reset it for you.

This brings me back to say, my sister went to an apple store to get her aunt's reset because she had passed away and they wouldn't reset it without the paperwork you get when you buy it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:44 PM   #10
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I'm also now looking for a way to crack these and find the algorithm that has many baffled. I would assume to see this figured out within months.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
I'm also now looking for a way to crack these and find the algorithm that has many baffled. I would assume to see this figured out within months.
I not suggesting anybody try this, but in the old old day's we used to use EPROM burners....Times have changed and that would mean removing the chip, knowing the code etc. I used to play around with custom EPROM's, but my MBA isn't coming apart...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
He's probably the person who wants to reset the password.
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:42 PM   #13
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
I love how ignorant people like you are. I'm simply a person who seeks knowledge. If you have no way or advice for me, then don't respond at all. I've already figured it out anyway.
kdeffects is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I love how ignorant people like you are. I'm simply a person who seeks knowledge. If you have no way or advice for me, then don't respond at all. I've already figured it out anyway.
Don't be so rude to people.

For the record, only Apple can reset the password. Those services on eBay will just have internal connections.
Brian Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:23 PM   #15
kdeffects
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Don't be so rude to people.

For the record, only Apple can reset the password. Those services on eBay will just have internal connections.
For the record, stating a fact that someone is ignorant isn't rude. Assuming like he did is, in fact, rude.
kdeffects is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
For the record, stating a fact that someone is ignorant isn't rude. Assuming like he did is, in fact, rude.
Ignorant
Adjective
Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:39 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
It certainly appears that way, since the OP's questions started with an expressed concern that their "employees" may find a way to reset it, then shifted to the OP wanting to figure out how to do exactly the same thing:
Quote:
I'm also now looking for a way to crack these and find the algorithm that has many baffled.
While the OP's motives may, indeed, be legit, the direction of this thread suggests a possible alternate interpretation.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air