Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
hobx
macrumors regular

Ipad 4 Screen temperature

Okay. So let me just preface this by saying the screen is absolutely gorgeous. My first Ipad 3 had backlight problems, so i returned it and the second one was fine. No such problems with the 4th gen, BUT, the colour temperature has changed again to a pinkish white, Not badly, just you can tell that that is the dominent aspect.

This has alternated for every ipad I've had so far:

Ipad: Bluish temperature

Ipad2: Pinkish tempature

Ipad3: Blue

Ipad4: Pink

I'm sure giving it a few days I will barely be able to tell, but going from ipad to ipad the change is jarring, and I'm just wondering what this is an affect of. I remember a recent colour comparison article I read online said that Apple calibrated their displays better than most. Is this a calibration issue, or just differences between screen manufacturers? Is it a generational thing as per my anecdotal evidence above?
hobx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:25 AM   #2
henriknorem
macrumors member

I went through a couple of 3rd gen iPads before giving up, but my 4th gen is perfect. It has a warm tint to it, but not anything more than what's natural. Looks stunning. But remember, the pink will appear under specific light conditions.
henriknorem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
hobx
macrumors regular

As I say, it looks spectacular. All LCD's tend to lean slightly towards some colours. My current PC one is yellowish blue. Its very subtle and most people wouldn't even notice it. I'm just curious as to why it varies between models is all.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Supra Mac
macrumors regular

Could you post pics of the 3 and 4 next to each other so we can see the difference?
Supra Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:43 AM   #5
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Mac View Post
Could you post pics of the 3 and 4 next to each other so we can see the difference?
Even this comparison might not be fair as it's likely luck of the draw with both.

But i'd be curious as well
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
hobx
macrumors regular

I sold mine, but I will check one of my family members units when I get home to see what that is line, and then see if I can represent it in picture.....
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

My ipad 3 was yellow 2 one pink.
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:51 PM   #8
RobNor
macrumors regular

The iPad 4 I have is warmer than the my iPad 3 which was warmer than my iPad 2.

BTW iPad mini black version has a cooler look
RobNor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Achilles75
macrumors member

Just got my 4 yesterday off the FedEx truck. It was clearly tinted a dingy yellow. I guess this is what some would call warm. I called Apple this morning to go ahead and get on record with the issue. Was advised to give it several days. As I've used it throughout today, the yellow hue seems to be giving way to a more neutral white. The neutral white color seems to be working its way up from the bottom of the iPad (home button) gradually toward the top of the screen. As of now, the lower half of the screen seems to be a fairly normal hue, and the top half still has the yellow look. Very bizarre.
Achilles75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:10 PM   #10
ixodes
macrumors 601

I used to just pre-order via the convenience of the Apple online store. But recent bouts of poor quality has proven that it's a very risky choice. So I have changed my buying to in person, at the Apple store. It's a pain for obvious reasons such as availability etc, but when possible it's the best way.

My purchase of iPad 4 is a perfect example. I purchased one, opened it while still in the store, found it very blue, so I returned it for another and another. By the fifth one I had found a good one. No problem. No more risky ordering from the online store, with it's waiting and wondering what will arrive. The in store purchase method is time consuming but worth it.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:05 PM   #11
iLukeJoseph
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles75 View Post
Just got my 4 yesterday off the FedEx truck. It was clearly tinted a dingy yellow. I guess this is what some would call warm. I called Apple this morning to go ahead and get on record with the issue. Was advised to give it several days. As I've used it throughout today, the yellow hue seems to be giving way to a more neutral white. The neutral white color seems to be working its way up from the bottom of the iPad (home button) gradually toward the top of the screen. As of now, the lower half of the screen seems to be a fairly normal hue, and the top half still has the yellow look. Very bizarre.
I would replace it if half the screen is a different color temp than the other. Mind taking a picture of it on a white background (not to determine color temp, but to see if it really is half and half).

Keep in mind that since the iPad 3 Apple has been trying to move to the correct color temp of 6500k. In display calibration there are very few "user preference" options. White level/Light output, and gamma (one could say black level, but you want that as low as possible without crushing blacks). Color temp is not one of them. If your display is set to a color temp above 6500k then it is wrong. And everything you are looking at is inaccurate.

People that prefer "cool white" prefer something that is inaccurate. The problem really stems from TV's. When you go to a store every single TV is set to store mode. Which is generally always has very high blue levels, over saturated colors, backlight/contrast set to max. So that is what probably 90% of the population thinks looks good. So now if they think that looks good, they want all their displays to look similar.
iLukeJoseph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Achilles75
macrumors member

Will try to get a picture later on a white background. Tried a few earlier that didn't come out. It's very hard to get a photo to show the gradation from white at the bottom to the yellow at the top. But by way of comparison, here's the iPad 4 with my iPhone 4.

Achilles75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:01 PM   #13
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
I used to just pre-order via the convenience of the Apple online store. But recent bouts of poor quality has proven that it's a very risky choice. So I have changed my buying to in person, at the Apple store. It's a pain for obvious reasons such as availability etc, but when possible it's the best way.

My purchase of iPad 4 is a perfect example. I purchased one, opened it while still in the store, found it very blue, so I returned it for another and another. By the fifth one I had found a good one. No problem. No more risky ordering from the online store, with it's waiting and wondering what will arrive. The in store purchase method is time consuming but worth it.
How do you check it? Don't you have to go through the setup process with each one before you can really get a screen whereby you can make an informed decision? I ask because my iPad 4 resembles Achilles' as it is quite yellow and I may be returning it as a result.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:18 PM   #14
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

I bought an iPad 4 for my daughter, but its for her birthday on the 27th so I can't really comment on its colour temperature. However I will say this. I have an iPhone 5 which looked more yellow than my iPhone 4. Recently I took a photo of a product in a D50 lighting booth. My mate was there who did the same with his iPhone 4. When we compared photos mine was exactly the same as the item. His was completely cool and not correct. This was a real world test of screen colours.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Deasnutz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Will try to get a picture later on a white background. Tried a few earlier that didn't come out. It's very hard to get a photo to show the gradation from white at the bottom to the yellow at the top. But by way of comparison, here's the iPad 4 with my iPhone 4.

Wow, your looks like my 4s did. My 5 is closer to the ipad temp.

I prefer the bluish though as the white is whiter, more accurate maybe?
Deasnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:44 PM   #16
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
How do you check it? Don't you have to go through the setup process with each one before you can really get a screen whereby you can make an informed decision? I ask because my iPad 4 resembles Achilles' as it is quite yellow and I may be returning it as a result.
How?

Buy it, set it up and check it right there.

Yeah it's work, but with Apple's highly variable quality, it's up to me to do Apple's QC work. They don't do it.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:48 PM   #17
kalt
macrumors regular

YES! Exactly. I posted about this regarding the screen hue/color/temp between the iPad 3 and iPad 4 yesterday.

I think the ipad 4 has the more accurate, vibrant colors. Side by side, the iPad 3 looks very blue and cold. The iPad 4 does seem like it has more red (or pink) in it at first, but I'm not sure if it's actually more red, or just the greater amount of blue in the iPad 3.

In the setup screens next to each other, the gray looks more gray on the iPad 4, and looks more bluish on the iPad 3.

But regardless, these are very slight changes in color temp/hue.
kalt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:06 AM   #18
Achilles75
macrumors member

Here's a photo that illustrates well how my screen seems to gradiate from white to yellow. iPad set to maximum brightness in a totally dark room. The left side of the screen is the top (camera) of the ipad, the right side is the bottom (home button).

Achilles75 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 06:19 AM   #19
tarasis
macrumors 6502

Yeah that doesn't look right at all.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:54 AM   #20
maxwellr
macrumors newbie

I have gone through 6 ipads and all of them had some sort of issue with the screen. Two of them had dead pixels and 4 of them had uneven screen temperature (like the OP). In one of the apple stores they only let me swap 3 times and twice in another. Got the 6th one from staples and it has an even (yellowish white but it is same as real paper color!) brightness but I just spotted a dead pixel. I am gonna swap for another tomorrow and hope for a good screen. I swear this is my last try

BTW units starting with dmj have LG displays(yellowish white) and dmq have Samsung(blueish white) displays.

Last edited by maxwellr; Nov 5, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
maxwellr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:25 AM   #21
tarasis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellr View Post
BTW units starting with dmj have LG displays(yellowish white) and dmq have Samsung(blueish white) displays.
Hmm, okay and DMP(J), which is mine, is then made by who?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:31 AM   #22
prism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have gone through 6 ipads and all of them had some sort of issue with the screen. Two of them had dead pixels and 4 of them had uneven screen temperature (like the OP). In one of the apple stores they only let me swap 3 times and twice in another. Got the 6th one from staples and it has an even (yellowish white but it is same as real paper color!) brightness but I just spotted a dead pixel. I am gonna swap for another tomorrow and hope for a good screen. I swear this is my last try

Errr my starts with DLX and it has a subtle pinkish hue!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:26 AM   #23
evasquez7
macrumors member

Quote:
Here's a photo that illustrates well how my screen seems to gradiate from white to yellow. iPad set to maximum brightness in a totally dark room. The left side of the screen is the top (camera) of the ipad, the right side is the bottom (home button).

Do you have a Samsung display? Mine is the same way.
evasquez7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:29 AM   #24
maxwellr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
Errr my starts with DLX and it has a subtle pinkish hue!
I of course didn't try all serial numbers. This data is from the devices I tried and the the display devices at apple store.

However apple store guy said the serial numbers had nothing to do with it and they were totally random. But he agreed they were two screen variations.

The display units only had bluish variation, of course apple knew people liked it more
maxwellr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:07 AM   #25
prism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I of course didn't try all serial numbers. This data is from the devices I tried and the the display devices at apple store.

However apple store guy said the serial numbers had nothing to do with it and they were totally random. But he agreed they were two screen variations.

The display units only had bluish variation, of course apple knew people liked it more
So are you suggesting that my screen is unique? Hmm, maybe I should auction it!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad