Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:51 AM   #101
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristobalHuet View Post
Time to dip into the warchest and pay these fools to get over it.
Where is the downvote button when you need it?
Tiger8 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:51 AM   #102
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
iCaramba!
best comment ever
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:52 AM   #103
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Apple should simply purchase Mexico.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:52 AM   #104
ctrl94
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarali.ch View Post
buy them, then close them for ever!
You're right, that's the only way Apple knows how to compete: buy shutting down the competition.
ctrl94 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:54 AM   #105
token787
macrumors regular

Apple need to seriously stop it and have a seat in all of Mexico's country!!
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:54 AM   #106
bradgfromboo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iapplelove View Post
Lol ****ing Mexico. Anyone ever go there ? It's the least of their problmes
Apparently you haven't... Mexico is amazing.

It's hilarious how bad apple is making themselves look. God what a bunch of tools....
bradgfromboo is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:55 AM   #107
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
Reading this reminds me of a Steve Martin line in one of his songs: "Criticize things you don't know about."

Disclaimer: Not a lawyer.

Someone tried to explain this, but apparently most of you didn't understand it.

Apple has trademarks that are literally worth billions of dollars. There are reams of case law regarding what someone has to do to protect a trademark. For example, let's say I own trademark XYZ and a company creates a product called XYZ. After 10 years, XYZ product becomes hugely successful. I now sue for infringement. The courts will ask, "why didn't you sue when you first became aware of the infringement? It appears that it is only the fact that this trademark has become valuable that is motivating you. If you weren't concerned before, why are you concerned now?"

I would have to demonstrate all kinds of things including that I was being damaged by the infringement. But, the key fact here is that I didn't try to proactively protect my trademark. I hate all the suits, but you have to understand that if Apple lets even one of these go, it opens the door for someone to take control of an asset that they have spent billions creating. Now, you may say it's only a name, but trademarks can be extremely valuable.

This is not a case as many of you suggest that Apple is a bully or conceited, or whatever. Apple is a business that needs to protect its assets, and the way to protect a trademark is to actively pursue anyone who infringes. Yeah, it might seem crappy to go after a grocery store, but it's not because they are jerks, it's because they a cautious about a billion dollar asset.

The Mexican court made the right call, but so did Apple in bringing the suit. No one will be able to claim that Apple has not proactively protected the iPhone trademark. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple knew they would lose. But rather than paying off the iFone, sued first to establish that they are actively protecting this trademark. There are times when bringing a lawsuit isn't cost effective (at least in the short run), but gives you many other benefits.
exactly
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:56 AM   #108
4D4M
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrl94 View Post
You're right, that's the only way Apple knows how to compete: buy shutting down the competition.
Another anti-Apple newbie... do you actually know anything about the company at all? Or did you just come here to stick a spoon in and stir the mix?
4D4M is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:57 AM   #109
Singin Hobo
macrumors regular

Get ready for the Aye-yi-yi-phone
Singin Hobo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:00 PM   #110
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Huh? It's a telecom, not a phone manufacturer. How is Apple shutting down competition in Mexico by seeking rights to use a similar sounding but different name for a hardware product versus a service?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:00 PM   #111
TrentS
macrumors 6502

iMayan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singin Hobo View Post
I'm waiting for the Badda Bing Badda Bang Badda Boom Phone!!

But really, does all this really matter!? When December 21st rolls around, we'll all be dead anyways...

TrentS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:00 PM   #112
spb3
macrumors regular

ifone should sue iphone
spb3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #113
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
If I were Tim Cook I would just stop selling the iPhone in Mexico. iFone and iPhone are two different trademarks, even if they do sound the same. Since iFone is a telecommunications company, just stop allowing them to carry the iPhone. If there is no other telecommunication company in Mexico, well too bad for Mexican citizens, no iPhone for you.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:02 PM   #114
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singin Hobo View Post
They already have the trademarked locked on ai-yi-yi-maps.
pacalis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:02 PM   #115
Hurda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Don't know about anyone else but companies sticking and "i" in front of their product/company name leaching off Apples success deserves everything they get.
Linksys (then InfoGear) iPhone - released in 1998
Apple iMac - first released in 1998
NTT DoCoMo's i-mode - released in 1999

You were saying?
Hurda is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:03 PM   #116
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgfromboo View Post
Apparently you haven't... Mexico is amazing.

It's hilarious how bad apple is making themselves look. God what a bunch of tools....
I have been to Mexico. I accidentally consumed a fountain soft drink at a fast food restaurant and put ice in it. I spent the next week at home sitting on the toilet.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:05 PM   #117
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottNWDW View Post
If I were Tim Cook I would just stop selling the iPhone in Mexico. iFone and iPhone are two different trademarks, even if they do sound the same. Since iFone is a telecommunications company, just stop allowing them to carry the iPhone. If there is no other telecommunication company in Mexico, well too bad for Mexican citizens, no iPhone for you.
Obviously this is silly talk. Cook should sell iFones everywhere else.
pacalis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:05 PM   #118
frayne182
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
I have been to Mexico. I accidentally consumed a fountain soft drink at a fast food restaurant and put ice in it. I spent the next week at home sitting on the toilet.
Thats like everywhere you go down south.

Dominican, Cuba, etc.

I just pretty much accept that I'm going to get the ***** when I'm down in those places.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:05 PM   #119
ctrl94
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I hate all the suits, but you have to understand that if Apple lets even one of these go, it opens the door for someone to take control of an asset that they have spent billions creating.
Apple is not protecting their innovation, they're eliminating anyone who tries to compete in the same market as them. They are trying to create a monopoly so that they can fill their pockets with the consumers' money.
Quote:
Apple is a business that needs to protect its assets, and the way to protect a trademark is to actively pursue anyone who infringes. Yeah, it might seem crappy to go after a grocery store, but it's not because they are jerks, it's because they a cautious about a billion dollar asset.
So you're saying that a grocery store, to which an apple is much more relevant, should not be able to advertise that they sell apples?
ISHYGDDT
Quote:
No one will be able to claim that Apple has not proactively protected the iPhone trademark.
You might even say they overactively protected it.
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Apple knew they would lose.
So they should sue everyone they can just to make sure noone is "copying" their "innovation"?
Quote:
but brings you many other benefits
Like stealing money from a company who is only interested in honest competition? I seriously wonder if Apple fanboys read what they write before they post it.
ctrl94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:06 PM   #120
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffradio View Post
Apple did this with IOS and Cisco. Cisco had IOS for their router operating system for a long time, and then Apple licensed the name or bought it. They should have attempted the same thing here instead of trying to sue them to stop being a company...
This is of course after Cisco successfully sued Apple over the iPhone name, which they owned prior to 2007. Of course Apple actually asked for iOS, it would have been quite the shock to Cisco to have to go through all those proceedings a 2nd time with Apple.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:07 PM   #121
ctrl94
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveainone View Post
but.. I would guess iFone picked their name because using "i" in the name was already "in" because of iPod?
The company filed the patent in 2003. Try again.
ctrl94 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #122
cdreams
macrumors newbie

similar stupidity

My brother had to go through something similar recently with Warner Bros who were trying to sue him for using the name iNCEPTIONAL.

Their claim was that he was piggybacking off the film Inception's success, however he had been using the name for over 2 years before the Inception was even mentioned in the public domain.

He created the name by mixing up the words Inception and Exceptional to create iNCEPTIONAL, the creation of something exceptional.

It wasn't until he tried to register his name with the trademark office that he got a challenge from Warner Brothers who had put in their application after his. He battled them for over a year with them trying to bully him into removing his name from all material but he proved that he had used the name way before they had and that he had indeed registered it before they had.

The worst thing about it all though, was he offered a deal with them but they weren't interested and thought they could outsmart him. So after a year he won his fight against them with no concessions and his name iNCEPTIONAL is now legally registered with the Trademark office. What's even better is the newspapers wanted to support him by highlighting the unscrupulous nature of these big companies and how they use money and size to ruin peoples lives or ideas.

You can see info on it here: http://www.scotsman.com/edinburgh-ev...name-1-2590283

He's now free to get on with making his game SaveSanti without fear of WB hounding him which was pathetic.

----------

Quote:
The company filed the patent in 2003. Try again.
I really hope they have to pay the company a substantial amount for all the grief they will have put the little company through trying to fight off and prove their case to the courts.

I remember many years ago people hated Bill Gates for being an ******* to smaller companies, I feel Apple is acting similar in many senses and using their size and money to bully smaller businesses. Businesses that people have probably worked their as**s off to establish only to have to deal with some unjust legal case.
cdreams is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #123
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurda View Post
Linksys (then InfoGear) iPhone - released in 1998
Apple iMac - first released in 1998
NTT DoCoMo's i-mode - released in 1999

You were saying?
I was just saying how companies are leeching of Apples success by putting an "i" in front of their products.

Sorry was that not clear?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #124
ctrl94
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D4M View Post
Another anti-Apple newbie... do you actually know anything about the company at all? Or did you just come here to stick a spoon in and stir the mix?
Are you implying that Apple actually competes fairly? They've started too many patent wars to count over products and names that they didn't invent because they had a slight similarity to what Apple was making. As far as actually competing, just look at the Mac Pros. They're using incredibly old hardware and charging three times as much for it as it costs to buy it on newegg. Not only that, but they're selling server components for a desktop computer. Why anyone would do that is beyond me.
ctrl94 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 PM   #125
Hurda
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveainone View Post
but.. I would guess iFone picked their name because using "i" in the name was already "in" because of iPod?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...er_quarter.svg

Yeah, iPod was totally hot ****** in 2003...
Hurda is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion