Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jagshere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Going to Add 2 SSDs in a Raid "O" configuration. So I add the drives, use recovery, format and partition the drives. So if I use a time machine backup to put all my stuff back on, is this the most efficient and effective way to do this upgrade? Any better way to do it? Comments and concerns appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Yep, that plan sounds good. Only thing I might suggest is that if you've been accumulating data for a long time, you might want to think about a clean OSX and app install, and just restore the time machine user files.

Jagshere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
Yep, that plan sounds good. Only thing I might suggest is that if you've been accumulating data for a long time, you might want to think about a clean OSX and app install, and just restore the time machine user files.

Thanks! My though is that I would do a fresh install with the mini lion recovery when I fire it up, then do the restore. I just need to do photos, docs, ext, and will do the apps separate.
I have never used the time machine backup to restore stuff. can I just pick certain items to restore or does it do everything.

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
I recently changed out the ssd of my MBA and the time machine backup wouldn't boot. I ended up using carbon copy cloner to transfer the contents of the old drive to the new and that worked perfectly. The only thing that didn't transfer was the authorization code for Microsoft office, so look that up first if you use it. The trial version of carbon copy cloner is free.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Thanks! My though is that I would do a fresh install with the mini lion recovery when I fire it up, then do the restore. I just need to do photos, docs, ext, and will do the apps separate.
I have never used the time machine backup to restore stuff. can I just pick certain items to restore or does it do everything.

I can't remember if the wizard lets you pick and choose what to restore. If it doesn't give you the option though, you can browse the drive and copy files like you would from a flash drive. Just look for the "Latest" folder for the most recent version of your files.

Jagshere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
I can't remember if the wizard lets you pick and choose what to restore. If it doesn't give you the option though, you can browse the drive and copy files like you would from a flash drive. Just look for the "Latest" folder for the most recent version of your files.

Great info! Thanks!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Going to Add 2 SSDs in a Raid "O" configuration. So I add the drives, use recovery, format and partition the drives. So if I use a time machine backup to put all my stuff back on, is this the most efficient and effective way to do this upgrade? Any better way to do it? Comments and concerns appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

well TM is okay but I would attach an external hdd once a week and use superduper to make a clone of the the raid0.

usb3 drives are cheap if you are using the 2012 mini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.