Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Jagshere
macrumors newbie

Mini 2011 SSD Upgrade

Going to Add 2 SSDs in a Raid "O" configuration. So I add the drives, use recovery, format and partition the drives. So if I use a time machine backup to put all my stuff back on, is this the most efficient and effective way to do this upgrade? Any better way to do it? Comments and concerns appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Jagshere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Lance-AR
macrumors 6502

That's what I would do
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Jagshere
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance-AR View Post
That's what I would do
Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Yep, that plan sounds good. Only thing I might suggest is that if you've been accumulating data for a long time, you might want to think about a clean OSX and app install, and just restore the time machine user files.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Jagshere
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
Yep, that plan sounds good. Only thing I might suggest is that if you've been accumulating data for a long time, you might want to think about a clean OSX and app install, and just restore the time machine user files.
Thanks! My though is that I would do a fresh install with the mini lion recovery when I fire it up, then do the restore. I just need to do photos, docs, ext, and will do the apps separate.
I have never used the time machine backup to restore stuff. can I just pick certain items to restore or does it do everything.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:16 AM   #6
helveta
macrumors member

I recently changed out the ssd of my MBA and the time machine backup wouldn't boot. I ended up using carbon copy cloner to transfer the contents of the old drive to the new and that worked perfectly. The only thing that didn't transfer was the authorization code for Microsoft office, so look that up first if you use it. The trial version of carbon copy cloner is free.
helveta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:33 AM   #7
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagshere View Post
Thanks! My though is that I would do a fresh install with the mini lion recovery when I fire it up, then do the restore. I just need to do photos, docs, ext, and will do the apps separate.
I have never used the time machine backup to restore stuff. can I just pick certain items to restore or does it do everything.
I can't remember if the wizard lets you pick and choose what to restore. If it doesn't give you the option though, you can browse the drive and copy files like you would from a flash drive. Just look for the "Latest" folder for the most recent version of your files.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Jagshere
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
I can't remember if the wizard lets you pick and choose what to restore. If it doesn't give you the option though, you can browse the drive and copy files like you would from a flash drive. Just look for the "Latest" folder for the most recent version of your files.
Great info! Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:46 AM   #9
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagshere View Post
Going to Add 2 SSDs in a Raid "O" configuration. So I add the drives, use recovery, format and partition the drives. So if I use a time machine backup to put all my stuff back on, is this the most efficient and effective way to do this upgrade? Any better way to do it? Comments and concerns appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
well TM is okay but I would attach an external hdd once a week and use superduper to make a clone of the the raid0.

usb3 drives are cheap if you are using the 2012 mini
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini