Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:29 PM   #51
theodmic
macrumors newbie

This thing looks so sweet in a car...I had my initial doubts about the iPad mini, but it seems to have quite a few uses that a full sized iPad just doesn't have.

Can't wait to get this in my little Honda fit! Also, what bass nectar song is playing in this vid?
theodmic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:29 PM   #52
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroexe View Post
[Plus it beats the interface of all modern car systems, don't even get me started on the idea of using a scroll wheel to type an address instead of just having a touch screen in 2012]
I'm looking at you BMW
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:34 PM   #53
SirHaakon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanide View Post
Can you imagine the data usage running Pandora or iHeartRadio plus Maps on your daily commute? Guess the only way is if you are on Sprint with an unlimited Data plan.. otherwise you're going to fly through the GBs.
I already do just this with my iPhone; having the mini installed would just look way sexier. I go through about 5 gigs a month... I'm on the unlimited plan (AT&T) still, but I think the normal data plans allow for about that much. I don't stream video with it, just audio via the apps you mentioned.
SirHaakon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:35 PM   #54
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
I'm looking at you BMW
Mercedes too. Believe it or not, the only car I've owned in which I loved the nav system is my Infiniti. The current models are very well done. I hate the current gen E-Class Mercedes system, so cumbersome and the display looks like an Atari.
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:36 PM   #55
hortod1
macrumors member

Wonder how well voice activation for Siri works with the microphone covered up, for say, asking for driving directions.
hortod1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:47 PM   #56
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Finally the virtue of a smaller size is being displayed!!
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:49 PM   #57
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidesuru View Post
Whoah whoah whoah. Lets not get carried away. He clearly states in the video that they are using an Audison sound system in that vehicle, with two amplifiers. A quick look on Amazon shows me the -cheapest- Audison amp is ~$250, going all the way up to > $1000. That's JUST the amps as well. Add in additional hardware, an iPad, and not even counting installation (if you could do it yourself lets say), and you are probably over 2 grand for what's in that car.

I'm not saying its not cool, but there is NO WAY you would beat the quality of a "$1000 stereo" with an iPad for less money. The iPad is just putting out a stereo line level signal, the rest is all being done by the expensive audio hardware...

I'm not an audiophile, but I wouldn't be surprised if one could tell the difference in audio quality compared to a device more specifically geared towards putting out high fidelity sound than an iPad, which is intended for use with -at best- some dock speakers.

Personally, I wouldn't want a setup like this, because in order to use your car's stereo you would have to have the iPad in place, and as mentioned by others if you don't remove it when you leave the car it begs to be stolen. The end result is you now have to always carry the thing with you (or sometimes not use your stereo). Maybe that works for some people (cool!), but would not for me. I personally would find it a burden to have to keep track of one more device at all times.

All just my $0.02 of course.
I do not need the top of the line stuff nor the audison stuff.

My current setup is a deck that has ipod controls through being connected through USB and I can control the volume and controls through the deck or steering wheel controls.

Instead I could push back the deck install a place to hold iPad temporarily and just rewire a volume control knob to a different place in the car.

I will post pictures of my current setup running through the stock stereo and for my ears it sounds great because thats what I care about, I am no audiophile.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:58 PM   #58
ladeer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroexe View Post
Wow that's cool.

[Plus it beats the interface of all modern car systems, don't even get me started on the idea of using a scroll wheel to type an address instead of just having a touch screen in 2012]
There is a reason car companies all over use scroll wheel than much cheaper touch screen. Do u think developing a scroll wheel UI and install it on the central column is cheaper than a touch screen technology? The reason they use scroll wheel is because its much safer and accurate. It ur car is moving, it's hard to reach your hand over to the screen and touch tiny buttons. Scroll wheel each click is accurate and u rest ur hand on the car. Although slower, u don't have to look at it constantly, also much more accurate entry when u can driving in a bumpy road.

Source: I own both kinds of car
ladeer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:12 PM   #59
dponte
macrumors member

Not a lot of functions demoed here...cons?

Going to play the 'cons' game here...wondering what others think about this stuff:

- GPS seems far better with a satellite receiver, I would not trust 2G/3G/'4G'/LTE to be consistent, but I have never used the iPhone/iPad as a GPS...I used the iPhone 3GS for maps and traffic to compliment my car's GPS (which is not even built in, it's a Navman...getting a new lease, so maybe I'll get a built-in one then).

- Music...ok...but we can do this with a simple AUX line from the iPhone...or my new Samsung Galaxy Note 2...which provides a HUGE screen that I can actually see (ahem...iPhone5...I'm looking at YOU!) while driving.

- More of a distraction, up front? Most people who drive shouldnt be doing this...they are bad enough drivers as it is. Keep your foot over the brake whenever you even consider looking at this thing/any device. We need more HUD's in cars!

- Does one have to alter the car's functionality of it's info panel that was removed (if it's removed for this iPad mini, which seems the case for anyone wanting to do this)?? For instance, bluetooth? iPad is not a phone, obviously.
But, it looked like he just slid the iPad mini over the existing display and it plugs into a mounted charge/adapter on the left side. So, I don't know...

- Lots we don't see demoed here...or explained in full. The music was controlled by a remote via the amp installed in the car, which probably helps ease-of-use.
dponte is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:14 PM   #60
johncrab
macrumors 6502

Oooohhh! With the LTE model and an Apple Bluetooth keyboard I could pull into a parking lot and catch up on emails easily. A detachable mounting system would be so ideal for this.
johncrab is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:17 PM   #61
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

I dunno....looks cool but why not just have a mount for your iPhone 5 and use that?
Undecided is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:37 PM   #62
dponte
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post
I already do just this with my iPhone; having the mini installed would just look way sexier. I go through about 5 gigs a month... I'm on the unlimited plan (AT&T) still, but I think the normal data plans allow for about that much. I don't stream video with it, just audio via the apps you mentioned.
Another good point...that you made for my 'cons'

5GB a month? Now if you are using this all month long...on the road...using CELL data...what would your usage total be?

I have AT&T and am grandfathered into the 'unlimited' plan...which means they throttle my data anyway at 3GB. I do NOT use that much, as most of my data is via wifi. However, if one were to do this...well, then let's see someone use this method and what their cellular billing is after a month!

I use my iPhone 3GS to compliment my satellite GPS in the car (Navman, portable and now way out-of-date)...but, of course using the iPhone for google map traffic and music and etc. If I used Pandora or ConcertVault or some streaming media a lot OR the GPS on this iPad mini...then this does not help my data usage over cellular. Video streaming...yeah...good luck with that.

Going in and out as you drive, depending on where you are...this is another reason why I prefer satellite GPS.

Therefore, what else would one use it for...over cellular? LTE would only help to hasten your cell data limit, it seems...on the road, in such a scenario.

What does this do that your car (and newer cars) would not be able to do...or that my nice new Note2 (google voice/svoice) or even my old iPhone 3GS (ok, no Siri) could do just the same?
dponte is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:40 PM   #63
roadie.f
macrumors newbie

Good, now I can play Need for Speed while I drive.
roadie.f is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:58 PM   #64
ladeer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
Lol... I hope you're joking.

Just to name a few reasons: GPS, Contacts, Find your Friends, Movies... upon a million more. But if you just need one: the best infotainment system available - PLUS it syncs with all your other devices you already have.

It's not about being antisocial, its simply the best infotainment system you could buy.
Really now? My 2012 5 series tells me my engine oil level, miles till next maintenance, brake pad, fluids, efficient dynamic setting which show brake energy regen status, ac level, mpg, trip computer, GPS that connected to my wheel so even works in tunnel or underground, it reads me text message, post twitter or Facebook, it can play everything on my iPhone, show 360 degree camera view around my car, park my car automatically, read me people Facebook status, set speed limit for my car, display sports mode setting, owner manual, schedule maintenance remotely, remotely unlock or start my car without key, call ambulance when crash, make emergency call without a cell phone, control lighting of my car, etc. really the iPad is the best system??
ladeer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:05 PM   #65
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

But it wouldn't be a stereo.....or hook up to amplifiers.....what's the point? Unless you had a bluetooth enabled stereo behind the mini.

But then again I wouldn't want sub woofers vibrating my ipad apart.....
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:15 PM   #66
kemo
macrumors 6502a

damn, thats way cooler than iPad in some car holder! Looks like I'm gonna grab iPad mini with LTE once available!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:26 PM   #67
rictus007
macrumors member

Wow, that's sweet....the down side is that my car is not that good for an iPad mini... LOL
rictus007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:32 PM   #68
Matt-M
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedx View Post
His car is flashing: STEAL ME STEAL ME STEAL ME
I don't see too much of a theft issue. Once installed, and when it is off, it looks no different than the nav system in most modern cars.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortod1 View Post
Wonder how well voice activation for Siri works with the microphone covered up, for say, asking for driving directions.
Bluetooth.
Matt-M is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:52 PM   #69
imariopereira
macrumors newbie

Super AWESOME!
imariopereira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:06 PM   #70
sclawis300
macrumors 65816

it's still a corolla. don't get too excited buddy.
sclawis300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:12 PM   #71
marty1990
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Walter White and an iPad. Wow.
marty1990 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:14 PM   #72
dponte
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeer View Post
Really now? My 2012 5 series tells me my engine oil level, miles till next maintenance, brake pad, fluids, efficient dynamic setting which show brake energy regen status, ac level, mpg, trip computer, GPS that connected to my wheel so even works in tunnel or underground, it reads me text message, post twitter or Facebook, it can play everything on my iPhone, show 360 degree camera view around my car, park my car automatically, read me people Facebook status, set speed limit for my car, display sports mode setting, owner manual, schedule maintenance remotely, remotely unlock or start my car without key, call ambulance when crash, make emergency call without a cell phone, control lighting of my car, etc. really the iPad is the best system??
Another good point for the 'cons' of doing this.

Are there any pros? I can't see anything that outweighs the cons here. Unless your car is not new and has really none of these features at all and you dont care about cell data usage on the road...but, in that case, save up for a new car instead!
dponte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:16 PM   #73
macchiato2009
macrumors 65816

nosebleed
macchiato2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:37 PM   #74
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladeer View Post
You took what I said out of context. Obviously most people don't drive $40k cars. I was replying to the guy that said "Why would anyone do this?"
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #75
blueroom
macrumors 603

Just what drivers really need; more distractions.
blueroom is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion