Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
I know that iPad apps will "just work" on the iPad mini.... I also know that non-retina apps will "just work" on a retina display, but that doesn't mean it is ideal.

I haven't actually used an iPad mini (I think it'll be awesome though!), but I know there are some apps which use pretty small touch targets on my iPad and I would imagine that would only be worse on the iPad mini. I'm sure 90%+ of apps wouldn't need to update anything, but I'm sure there are some devs that would like to option to update the iPad mini version to have slightly bigger touch targets (or some other minor adjustments) without making things bigger on the full iPad.

Do you agree with me? And is this even possible?

SunnyStudioNeo

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Several comments:

1. Agree w you. Many controls would be a bit too small on iPad mini. Optimizing would be desired. I would consider that for my app as well.
2. Talking about how many developers will do that, I would say not many. Because it might ends up much effort to redesign layout for iPad mini, but the increase of revenue is not that much.
3. The effort would be reduced by an iOS 6 only technology called auto layout. So of the majority of iOS device has moved to iOS 6, I would anticipate more optimization for mini.

euphlyusUNO

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I agree that while apps do work they will still need to be optimized.
, I've been using my apps from my (stolen) ipad 2 and they just work fine. They can be better though, I'm just curious to see if app developers will work on optimizing the apps for the mini, I know that flipboard has updated the interface of the ipad app for the mini, but some of the content still looks jagged

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 111

perpenso

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
Tap targets same size as on Phones

While the physical dimensions of the iPad mini are smaller, the pixels per inch is exactly the same as the non-retina iPhones, which is a little better than the non-retina iPads.

So the size of a tap target may be no more difficult to hit on an iPad mini than on an iPhone. If a developer followed Apple's recommended minimum size of a tap target then there should be no problem.

That said it is likely that some apps will need an update. I haven't had problems hitting tap targets yet but I have noticed a couple of apps that need to use a larger font size. Their current size is fine on an iPad 2 but too small on an iPad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.