Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Nikos
macrumors 65816

[MERGED] The iPad Mini looks beautiful until you turn it on.

The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
rever3nce
macrumors 6502a

then go return it. Tired of such negative Nancy's around here lately.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

6 months i tells ya'
Yr Blues is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4
skyler286
macrumors member

The display looks fine. Not sure why everyone is complaining about. Geez
skyler286 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:53 AM   #5
MartyCan
macrumors regular

Actually you are bashing it.

"Unusable?" Really?

People are out of their homes after a Hurricane, people starve all over the world and your biggest problem is that the pixels are too big for you?
MartyCan is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rever3nce View Post
I know there are other people on MR who are exactly like me when it comes to these things but might still be on the fence about it. I'm not complaining, just posting for those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
6 months i tells ya'
That's what I'm thinking. Next fall at the latest.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler286 View Post
The display looks fine. Not sure why everyone is complaining about. Geez
I agree. Perfectly fine for me. I think mine is retina.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:55 AM   #8
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Unusable?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:55 AM   #9
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rever3nce View Post
Yeah Negative Nancy!

Ner ner! Negative Nancy!

Now I'm going to read some more posts from Positive Peter.
wrkactjob is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyCan View Post
Actually you are bashing it.

"Unusable?" Really?

People are out of their homes after a Hurricane, people starve all over the world and your biggest problem is that the pixels are too big for you?
People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:56 AM   #11
mantan
macrumors 6502a

I appreciate the honest reviews.

I'll take a range of opinions over people just fawning over everything that comes out.

By most accounts it appears the screen is a compromise. And it's something each potential buying should weigh in making their purchasing decision. For some it's no big deal, for others it's a deal breaker.

But I'd rather people be honest with their opinions than just expect everyone to grab their pom poms for everything that comes out.
mantan is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Eric5964
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it.
We're you expecting anything different? They were upfront with us on the display, so why did you order one? Unusable....that's just silly. Was your iPad 2 "unusable"? It's also $329, so what did you expect, top of the line everything? Again, silly.

EricE
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:57 AM   #13
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Stop staring and start actually using one.

If you spend your time comparing it to something that is physically different it may look better or worse.

Mine looks a little better then my iPad 2 and tens of millions thought the iPad 2 is or was just fine.

So me thinks the problem must be that the mini just isn't right for you.

Link bate
noteple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a

If you don't want an iPad mini, don't buy it. If you bought one and you don't like it.. bring it back... back to the Apple Store. /song
MisterDisney is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:59 AM   #15
monaarts
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I think you're psychologically building this up. :-P
monaarts is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:59 AM   #16
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:

You look a bit old for this sort of thing
I can't even tell the difference between the 4 and 2. Maybe I need new reading glasses. But then again, I can read fine. Go figure

Or maybe it's just that its a tool not the Second Coming
mac jones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:00 AM   #17
MartyCan
macrumors regular

Quote:
People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.
By all means discuss but don't sensationalize. The thread title and the label of "unusable" is pretty over the top don't you think?
MartyCan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:00 AM   #18
bigboar
macrumors 6502

unusable???? some people are so dramatic!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:00 AM   #19
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
Quote:
I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing.
Well that does say it all - It is an individual thing here. Some people may not like it; others will.

I am used to my 'retina' iPhone display, but reading on the mini (which I did 6hours of during this morning) is ok for me. I find it crisper than the old iPad2 and its fine.

I think it will have a screen update in the next revision; but its quite acceptable for me.

Compared to the Tab 7 I had this is a much nicer format.

Each to his or her own I say -

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:01 AM   #20
Nikos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
I appreciate the honest reviews.

I'll take a range of opinions over people just fawning over everything that comes out.

By most accounts it appears the screen is a compromise. And it's something each potential buying should weigh in making their purchasing decision. For some it's no big deal, for others it's a deal breaker.

But I'd rather people be honest with their opinions than just expect everyone to grab their pom poms for everything that comes out.
That's all I'm trying to say. Thank you for thinking rationally while reading the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5964 View Post
We're you expecting anything different? They were upfront with us on the display, so why did you order one? Unusable....that's just silly. Was your iPad 2 "unusable"? It's also $329, so what did you expect, top of the line everything? Again, silly.

EricE
I wasn't expecting anything more. I didn't buy an iPad 2 because of the same issue. I couldn't go from a retina iPhone to a non retina iPad. That's just the way I am, and I know there are a ton of others here who are the same way.

The iPad Mini will have a retina display soon and its price isn't going to go up. It will still be $329.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

Its same or better than iPad 1 and iPad 2.
Which sold millions and no one is complaining.
We still have those models and they are just fine.
Mini will be fine too.
Even if there will be retina mini in fall 2013, the previous mini still be sold. There are still iPhones 3gs being used by millions. Thats the way Apple works. Until Apple, everyone had low resolution and the whole computing world was and still using 1024 displays just fine.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Noisemaker

Quote:

Clearly a troll, and a pathetic one at that.
Noisemaker is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:05 AM   #23
nasa25
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Craig Federghi or whatever looks like a dbag?
nasa25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:06 AM   #24
ReValveiT
macrumors regular

Just looking at the Mrs' 3GS...

Not sure I'd want to go back to that res to be honest. It's apples fault for giving us retina in the first place; we're just spoiled now.

I'd need to see one in person before deciding if I'd like it.
ReValveiT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:07 AM   #25
hyteckit

The iPad Mini screen looks better than my iPad 1 screen, my MacBook Pro screen, my acer iconia screen, and my PC laptop screens.

Then again, my acer iconia screen and former galaxy tab screen were crap.
hyteckit is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad