Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:07 AM   #26
boshii
macrumors 68040
 
boshii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneJack View Post
Its same or better than iPad 1 and iPad 2.
Which sold millions and no one is complaining.
We still have those models and they are just fine.
Mini will be fine too.
Even if there will be retina mini in fall 2013, the previous mini still be sold. There are still iPhones 3gs being used by millions. Thats the way Apple works. Until Apple, everyone had low resolution and the whole computing world was and still using 1024 displays just fine.
The 3G/3GS was released in 2009/2010. 2-3 years later, Apple introduces a new product line (iPad mini) that uses display tech from 2009/2010 when there's now better display tech available. That's the problem.
boshii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:08 AM   #27
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it.
I have only one question for you

when you bought your ipad 2 the 1st time did you complain about the screen?
AttilaTheHun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:08 AM   #28
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisemaker View Post
Clearly a troll, and a pathetic one at that.
A troll for voicing his negative opinion? We all know the screen is a compromise but its tough to gauge how much until you use it in person. And OP is sharin his thoughts after using one. I actually share his opinion so it looks like we're not going to be mini owners. I'm positive given how beautiful the thing is otherwise that it'll sell by the boatload. But why on gods green earth would you label anyone who isn't unconditionally praising it a troll?
thelookingglass is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:09 AM   #29
sfwalter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I have to laugh when people says its unusable. Is it the display we wanted? no, not since Apple has conditioned us with retina displays. But its very usable, just go ask all those iPad 2 users out there.
sfwalter is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:09 AM   #30
Nikos
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Nikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneJack View Post
Its same or better than iPad 1 and iPad 2.
Which sold millions and no one is complaining.
We still have those models and they are just fine.
Mini will be fine too.
Even if there will be retina mini in fall 2013, the previous mini still be sold. There are still iPhones 3gs being used by millions. Thats the way Apple works. Until Apple, everyone had low resolution and the whole computing world was and still using 1024 displays just fine.
All of those products sold well because they were the best thing available at the time. Whenever Apple releasees a new product, it pushes technology to the next level. With the iPad Mini, it just doesn't feel that way. It's MUCH nicer than other 7" tablets out there, but the screen is just not up to par IMO.

Like I said; I knew exactly what to expect but, to those who are like me and still on the fence about it, they should see it in a store before committing.

I'm not trolling and don't mean to start some kind of war here, just stating my honest opinion. I love Apple as much, if not more, than the next guy but felt compelled to post this.
Nikos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:09 AM   #31
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.
His point was in your use of hyperbole. While "unusable" is a nice sensationalistic headline, it's hardly accurate. You can express your subjective views without then turning it into objective catastrophe.
poloponies is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:10 AM   #32
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
I don't have a retina iPad, so I'm guessing once it arrives I'll be happy with the display.
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:10 AM   #33
saber45
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
A troll for voicing his negative opinion? We all know the screen is a compromise but its tough to gauge how much until you use it in person. And OP is sharin his thoughts after using one. I actually share his opinion so it looks like we're not going to be mini owners. I'm
Too stupid to finish a sentence?
saber45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:10 AM   #34
boshii
macrumors 68040
 
boshii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun View Post
I have only one question for you

when you bought your ipad 2 the 1st time did you complain about the screen?
The iPad 2 was released over a year and a half ago and we've seen Apple put out better displays since. When iPad 2 came out, there were still people disappointed and holding out for a retina iPad.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:10 AM   #35
Nikos
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Nikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun View Post
I have only one question for you

when you bought your ipad 2 the 1st time did you complain about the screen?
I already answered this. I never bought an iPad 2 because it wasn't retina. I held out. I couldn't go from my retina iPhone to a non-retina iPad.
Nikos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:10 AM   #36
mac jones
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
A troll for voicing his negative opinion? We all know the screen is a compromise but its tough to gauge how much until you use it in person. And OP is sharin his thoughts after using one. I actually share his opinion so it looks like we're not going to be mini owners. I'm
And You must be a troll for defending the troll ...defender....or something like that
mac jones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:11 AM   #37
henryonapple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
People are homeless and starving all over the world EVERY DAY. I see them every day, and help when I can. By your logic, I should never complain about anything as long as I have something to eat.

Sorry for discussing an Apple product on MacRumors. Next time I'll make a thread about world peace in the iPad section.
rofl good one
henryonapple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:11 AM   #38
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
I had an iPad 3. Sold it and got a mini. Only thing I hate is that it comes with a 5w not 12w charger. You really don't notice the pixels unless you really look for it. And the iPad is made to be used at arms length, not as close as the iPhone viewing distance. I love mine and the size is perfect.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:12 AM   #39
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it.
I also picked up a iPad mini today along with a Nexus 7. Will play with both for the next few weeks and return whichever one doesn't make the cut.

At first glance, I totally agree. Coming from an iPhone 4 I have been completely spoiled. The mini screen is noticeably pixelated. Whether or not I can deal with it is another question. But it would be a compromise.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
I appreciate the honest reviews.

I'll take a range of opinions over people just fawning over everything that comes out.

By most accounts it appears the screen is a compromise. And it's something each potential buying should weigh in making their purchasing decision. For some it's no big deal, for others it's a deal breaker.

But I'd rather people be honest with their opinions than just expect everyone to grab their pom poms for everything that comes out.


Exactly!
53x12 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:12 AM   #40
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
The 3G/3GS was released in 2009/2010. 2-3 years later, Apple introduces a new product line (iPad mini) that uses display tech from 2009/2010 when there's now better display tech available. That's the problem.
with my old eyes I can't see pixells from 10"
AttilaTheHun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:12 AM   #41
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it.
Totally agree. Mine is going back.
__________________
Far far too much Apple kit to admit to!
Dlanod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 AM   #42
Nikos
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Nikos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
His point was in your use of hyperbole. While "unusable" is a nice sensationalistic headline, it's hardly accurate. You can express your subjective views without then turning it into objective catastrophe.
Unusable to ME and a bunch of others who have now become anal about pixel density. Blame Apple for spoiling us with other beautiful displays.

There are millions out there who will love their iPad Mini, this post is for people like me who have become spoiled by and particular about Apple's other displays.
Nikos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 AM   #43
close2reality
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Your iPad mini doesn't have a retina for the exact reason apple is so successful.

They have a retina for it in their back pocket, along with an a6 chip. They are carefully playing their cards. It's called marketing.

They know apple zombies will upgrade.
close2reality is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 AM   #44
53x12
macrumors 68000
 
53x12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
And the iPad is made to be used at arms length
Depends how long your arms are and how far you want them stretched out. I keep the device ~8 in from my nose. Pixels are noticeable. You don't have to go looking for them.
53x12 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:15 AM   #45
boshii
macrumors 68040
 
boshii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
I have a retina iPad and i've thought about selling it for a mini, but i'd hate to avoid using it because the display sucks.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:15 AM   #46
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
I already answered this. I never bought an iPad 2 because it wasn't retina. I held out. I couldn't go from my retina iPhone to a non-retina iPad.
So all you laptops and monitors are now retina?

Or did you just stop reading text on those?

I love the retina screen, but I don't overreact or freak out over non-retina screens. I do tons of reading on my MacBook Po.

The iPad Mini screen looks better than my MacBook Pro screen.
hyteckit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:15 AM   #47
bsquared397
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Ok. I have been seeing a a lot of negative posts on this forum. Don't they have the right to express their opinion without being told about the starving in Africa and how they are entitled rich people. I hate negativity. But just because someone has a negative view on something does not constitute calling them entitled or ungrateful. If you don't like to hear the other side of a story, then don't read this forum. . Oh, and I'm still waiting for FedEx to deliver my mini
bsquared397 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:15 AM   #48
GeorgieAcevedo
macrumors 6502a
 
GeorgieAcevedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Mine looks beautiful with the screen turned on.
__________________
I do have an iPhone, iPad & MacBook. But why do I have to put it here? Why would you care?
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:16 AM   #49
Lone Deranger
macrumors 65816
 
Lone Deranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me.
Unusable. Really? You literally cannot use it? What.. you've the eyesight of a mole?
__________________
Lone Deranger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:16 AM   #50
Hello...
macrumors 6502a
 
Hello...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I say the same thing about gray hair.
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turn into iPad Mini? theapplefanboyj iPod touch 12 Apr 7, 2014 11:15 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Retina Apple.com order thread [MERGED] Jazwire iPad 997 Dec 9, 2013 06:18 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Screen Impressions [Merged] FooArk iPad 103 Nov 9, 2012 07:37 AM
What color ipad mini should I get/are you getting?? [Merged] Christian 5G iPad 48 Oct 26, 2012 04:03 AM
Mini iPad is Perfect with Siri's Turn by Turn Navigation apierrec iPad 11 Oct 19, 2012 04:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC