Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:11 PM   #101
MacDawg
macrumors P6

To each his/her own
I just went by my Apple Store at lunch (I work in the same building)
I played with the mini and found it to be pretty dad gum awesome

I am one of those that really can't tell much difference if any between the displays
Guess I am cursed (blessed?) with poor eyesight or a "don't really care gene"

I understand some get violently ill when they see anything other than retina
Meh, I am not one of them, so it doesn't bother me at all

The design, the build quality, the thinness and lightness... all are very tempting
I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3, so I don't need one and really wasn't considering it
But having held it and used it, I can see where I might find a use for it

My advice is just try it yourself
If it bothers you, don't get one
If it doesn't, then you have a great device
MacDawg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #102
urkel
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompatible View Post
THE REASON IT ISN'T RETINA:
I think people understand WHY retina isn't on the iPad Mini and the complaints seem to be more about how noticeable Retina's absence is. Just because we understand "WHY" doesnt mean its easy to overlook.

Personally, my bigger gripes are with the lack of RAM and the A5. There's no excuse for those to be excluded on a product of this class/quality.
urkel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:13 PM   #103
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Obviously I was wrong that Apple would put in an in-between resolution, but it might happen next year.
You may be right. Apple may have gone with the 1024x768 so as not to disrupt the app ecosystem while testing the demand for an iPad mini, if it's high, then developers won't care to update. If it's low, then who cares if it stays at 1024x768? It will probably be a high demand, and you're probably right about the display.

MAYBE iOS 7 will include different spring board features to accompany the different uses of the 3 different screen sizes they have, in addition to having support for the new iPad mini resolution. I can dream.
maccompatible is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #104
eric18
macrumors member

Maybe my wallpaper looks really good, or maybe I need to see an optometrist, but I honestly don't see what the problem with the screen is. Sure, it's not retina but I feel like it's somewhere in between iPad 2 and iPad 3. Either way, I'm happy with it.
eric18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #105
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You may be right. Apple may have gone with the 1024x768 so as not to disrupt the app ecosystem while testing the demand for an iPad mini, if it's high, then developers won't care to update. If it's low, then who cares if it stays at 1024x768? It will probably be a high demand, and you're probably right about the display.

MAYBE iOS 7 will include different spring board features to accompany the different uses of the 3 different screen sizes they have, in addition to having support for the new iPad mini resolution. I can dream.
Yeah that's a good point! It is nice to have apps working out of the box, and then once it's an established product, have it go with some other in between resolution. I just hope so, as I really want a beautiful screen for reading on the Mini. it is the perfect size for doing everything but reading full-sized PDFs for me.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:15 PM   #106
DexterToThe
macrumors newbie

Well
You can't have everything
DexterToThe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 PM   #107
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I bet you could find posters who have posted very inconsistent statements about retina when each product (iPad 3 and mini) were released.
Oh, most certainly. That'd be a piece of cake to find. People are wishy washy and think that technology companies are in some sort of physical battle... I think it's more of a race that includes natural selection. The most successful product lives on and the less successful ones must change or die.

Like I and seajewel said previously, Apple may have just put the 1024x768 on it to not disrupt the app ecosystem while testing the popularity of the iPad mini, and the next gen iPad mini may have another resolution (between iPad 2/3) offering higher pixel density without being ridiculously expensive/superfluous (326 ppi on a 7.9" screen.

----------

Quote:
It is nice to have apps working out of the box, and then once it's an established product, have it go with some other in between resolution.
I'm looking forward to the days of resolution independence and the software adapting to offer the same interface elements automatically scaled to fit the display to a real world size instead of pixel size. If apple wants to take another huge leap, they'll do this.

Last edited by maccompatible; Nov 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Avoidance of plagiarism
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:18 PM   #108
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
6 months i tells ya'
I'd put up money that you are WRONG! I'll be sure to rub it in your face then.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #109
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Oh, most certainly. That'd be a piece of cake to find. People are wishy washy and think that technology companies are in some sort of physical battle... I think it's more of a race that includes natural selection. The most successful product lives on and the less successful ones must change or die.

Like I said previously, Apple may have just put the 1024x768 on it to not disrupt the app ecosystem while testing the popularity of the iPad mini, and the next gen iPad mini may have another resolution (between iPad 2/3) offering higher pixel density without being ridiculously expensive/superfluous (326 ppi on a 7.9" screen.

----------

I'm looking forward to the days of resolution independence and the software adapting to offer the same interface elements automatically scaled to fit the display to a real world size instead of pixel size. If apple wants to take another huge leap, they'll do this.
Haha no that's what *I* said!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #110
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Personally, my bigger gripes are with the lack of RAM and the A5. There's no excuse for those to be excluded on a product of this class/quality.
Sure there is. Unless you factor price into it. Then there isn't.
maccompatible is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #111
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
6 months i tells ya'
Yup, this is a drip feed test product to see how well people buy it, then a proper one will arrive within 9 months, guaranteed!
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 PM   #112
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Haha no that's what *I* said!
Credit given.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 PM   #113
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
If people honestly don't like the screen they should be allowed to vent.
lulla01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:21 PM   #114
fsumom
macrumors regular

The screen is unusable? It amazes me how spoiled people are. It's perfectly fine. My only issue is that mine has a small scratch on the back but I'll just deal as I'm sure it'll suffer more in the hands of my 6 year old .

Last edited by fsumom; Nov 2, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
fsumom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #115
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumom View Post
The screen is unusable? It amazes how spoiled people are. It's perfectly fine. My only issue is that mine has a small scratch on the back but I'll just deal as I'm sure it'll suffer more in the hands of my 6 year old .
Maybe it is unusable for his purposes. If I bought it purely to read pdfs and such for work I would probably not find it great either. To each his own and it's good to hear of other's opinions.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #116
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
but the screen renders it unusable to me.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

We obviously have very different definitions of unusable.
Buckeyestar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:28 PM   #117
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
The iPad Mini is a beautiful and elegant piece of hardware, but the screen renders it unusable to me. We've pretty much known for months that it would carry the same resolution as the iPad 2, but coming from a 3rd generation iPad and iPhone 5, I can't help but cringe when I look at the iPad Mini's display. It might actually look worse than the iPad 2, from what I remember, for some reason. It almost looks like it's not at its native resolution.

If you have become accustomed to looking at retina displays and have any concern about about the iPad Mini's display, I urge you to check it out in store before purchasing. When the iPad Mini does finally get a retina display, it will be perfect. I'm not bashing the product. It really is beautiful, until you start to use it.
Writing this post on the on the mini now... Looks great, feels great I am very happy with this. Can I see pixels? Yes. Does everything still look great? Yes!

And my last 4 devices in this order; iPod Touch 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3rd gen LTE. The 163ppi is a non-issue. I wish I never got the 3rd gen to be honest, too heavy and it stutters briefly when I bring up the controls on video playback, we should be at the age where video playback is as smooth as mp3 playback. In retrospect it was a stop gap/beta product that should have been allowed to mature before it was released. The iPad 4th gen is the complete product.

I am selling my iPad 3 and keeping the Mini.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:30 PM   #118
mac jones
macrumors 68040

What we need is a 'retina screen, eye test chart ' here, so people can avoid disappointment.

A series of screens decreasing in resolution. You view them until you proclaim one 'unusable'.
mac jones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:30 PM   #119
Powrie
macrumors regular

I stick to what ive been saying,

The iPad mini 1st gen is for kids.

Wait to get the 2nd gen if you want an Ereader sized tablet because it will have Retina.
Powrie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:31 PM   #120
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
I'd put up money that you are WRONG! I'll be sure to rub it in your face then.
1 trillion internet dollars
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:32 PM   #121
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Baw I don't like x lemme go whinge about it on the forums

/MacRumors summarized
mKTank is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:36 PM   #122
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKTank View Post
Baw I don't like x lemme go whinge about it on the forums

/MacRumors summarized
it's 2012
we're dying from boredom and fapping
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:42 PM   #123
Gris Gris Man
macrumors newbie

Unusable? I'll show you unusable ...

Thumb resize.

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Please use TIMG tags for large images
Gris Gris Man is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:45 PM   #124
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
you sonsofbitches and your new fandangled devices. Some of us still suffer on an iPad1 16gb wi-fi ya know. Have some sympathy for us low end tech sufferers and enjoy your new purchase.
peeaanuut is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:49 PM   #125
mantan
macrumors 6502a

I checked it out over lunch and agree with the general reviews made.

It's a very nice little device, build/size feel great. The screen is a compromise. Whether or not it's a dealbreaker is up to each invididual...but I can't believe people are saying 'they don't notice it.'

It's as noticable as it is on an iPad 2. But there are millions of people still buying the iPad 2 who don't give a rip about the resolution.

For $329 I'll wait for the next iteration. But i'll likely get one for my teenage daughter for Christmas.
mantan is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad