Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrickowtf

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
Chicago
so for some reason my 2011 MBP died on my way to work this morning? when i got in and booted it up, it froze. i restarted it and got a flashing folder with a question mark on it.

what does this mean exactly? how could this happen? i was literally just using it last night before i went to sleep, and then it was doing this when i woke up.

so i read some stuff online and did an internet recovery, which i've never done before. now it's at a disk utility page asking me to choose a method to restore. i want to restore from an old Time Machine backup I have, but that's back at my apartment. is it safe to put it to sleep on this screen until i get home?

sorry for this, i'm very confused and frustrated as to why this just happened. and my backup is old and i don't know if i backed up any system settings so i don't know if that will even work.

Anyway...

• What could have caused this? What does that error even mean?

• What is the current status of my computer? Is everything wiped from my HDD?

• Is is safe to leave it sleeping on the Disc Utility until I get home?

• Can I restore from Time Machine if I didn't backup system settings?

i'm really anxious at work right now, and any insights would be really helpful right now.

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.