Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:12 PM   #101
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfjava View Post
But Nexus doesn't have a LTE chip, thus it is not really a steal at $349.
You must have forgotten how much iPhone without LTE support cost.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:14 PM   #102
RDStrong
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacird View Post
That should make the web happy today. A new google anything makes all the screens look extra white.

----------

Dont say that. Greatest phone ever! You know they didn't cheap it up to hit that mark at all. It's google man.....google.
The Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet and not a phone. However, the Nexus 4 (which is a phone), is considerably cheaper than its rivals.
RDStrong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:18 PM   #103
miknos
macrumors 6502

I love competition
miknos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:21 PM   #104
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDStrong View Post
The Nexus 7 is a 7 inch tablet and not a phone. However, the Nexus 4 (which is a phone), is considerably cheaper than its rivals.
The quote you are quoting was me in response to someone speaking of the Nexus 4 which is a phone FYI.

The rival phones are usually what $200 to make?? So its nice to see a decent one sell at a reasonable price point. I just like teasing the google C riders, I tease the Apple one as well. It's all in good fun.

If Sony made the Nexus I would be all over it perhaps.
Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:22 PM   #105
jarred125
macrumors regular

The Nexus 4 is cheap because that's how ALL smartphones should be. Please note, cheap in price, not in build.

If you honestly think mobile devices are expensive because that's what it costs to build them, I've got a bridge to sell you.
jarred125 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:30 PM   #106
token787
macrumors regular

I love the Samsung Note 10.1 for the multitask and so much more you can do but the screen somewhat sucks. The Nexus 7 is cute and power packed. The Surface is gorgeous, but it looks more for business. Now I have to try to find the Nexus 10 and the new Nook HD+.
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:32 PM   #107
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

lol how is setting defaults in Android hacking!?
uknowimright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:32 PM   #108
bushido
macrumors 603

how things have changed lately hm? so many people talking nicely about android and competition being a good thing on here

so refreshing
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:39 PM   #109
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Once my ipad dies ill prob look at the newer version of this. Looks promising (unless apple picks up their game again with amazing features (come on apple take this as a challenge))
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:41 PM   #110
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Which parts are missing in Google ecosystem? I can't find any. I can see a lot of deficiencies in Apple ecosystem. To name a few: missing file system in iOS, missing support for BLu Ray, missing support for NFC, only one phone model, no phones with OLED screens, no mobile devices with expandable memory, no phones with better than 8MP resolution, no multi-SIM phones - the list is very long.
I'm glad your happy. It's nice to have choices.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:41 PM   #111
bazinga!!
macrumors member

And why is there Android news on fricking MACrumors??
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:43 PM   #112
iMLo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
That's one thing I hate about Apple's product. The shiny shell is next to useless for a regular human being. I prefer holding my e-ink Kindle (rubbery back) than my iPod touch (stainless steel back).

Yes we can buy a shell for the Apple products, but it's still a flaw. Once again functionality loses over looks. These products are made to be used, not to be looked at on a display.
Maybe you should tell that to the people who own Android tablets. Even with all of them out there, they account for less than 10% web traffic. Sounds like a good case that iOS devises are far more 'usable' - while still kicking ass in the looks department...
iMLo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:47 PM   #113
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
I would of gotten the S3 if it wasn't so damn big.

If it was a 4'' phone with all the bells it had I would of been holding it right now and not my iPhone 5.

To me a phone should be small.

I would of been fine if the iPhone never got bigger.
Ha i was like you then i took the plunge and got the note 2, now the s3 looks small. Its definately changed my perception.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga!! View Post
Sorry, do you want to see more ipad mini unboxings?
nick_elt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:49 PM   #114
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
i'm glad your happy. It's nice to have choices.
Yep. (FedEx just delivered my choice)
D.T. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:56 PM   #115
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i cant wait to get my Nexus 4! time to try something new still love the apple ecosystem but i fell in love with Google Now and they got some great innovative features coming up
you and I both, Google is creeping up on Apple big time, delivering on innovation and technology and also pricing devices reasonably ..... Apple is just stagnant and pricey these days, and unfortunately you do not get what you pay for LOL, I'll gladly ditch my iPhone 5 and get the nexus 4+ Extra $
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:22 PM   #116
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
More so, it has no "legitimate" Eco System. If Google can ever get the users to agree to a lock down system Apple will be concerned.
I agree that the ecosystem needs some work, but the fact that it is NOT locked down is one of its best qualities, IMO.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:27 PM   #117
iMLo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape123 View Post

Apple is only good for stealing others' inventions and making them look better. They fail at everything else. Oh, that's right, except marketing. Apple is a designing and marketing company; that's all.
Seriously?

You do realize that Apple created the tablet market, right? You also know that Apple reinvented the smart phone market (perhaps you really liked Blackberry and Windows mobile phones...)

This comment is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen here....and that's saying something. Congrats.
iMLo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:29 PM   #118
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

I must say, the Android OS is much more capable of replacing a laptop than ios is, or probably ever will be.
A Hebrew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:30 PM   #119
MacDav
Banned

The body is made out of the same stuff as my car dashboard.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:35 PM   #120
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDav View Post
The body is made out of the same stuff as my car dashboard.
And the iphone is made of the same stuff as a bums beercan... Your point?
nick_elt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:36 PM   #121
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
To get everybody riled up and foaming at the mouth. It's kind of like being in a street gang. You have the Apple gang and the Google gang. They are deadly enemies fighting over technical turf. It takes us back to our tribal roots.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:39 PM   #122
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why is there ios news on fricken MACrumors??
nick_elt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:43 PM   #123
swagi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
More so, it has no "legitimate" Eco System. If Google can ever get the users to agree to a lock down system Apple will be concerned.

Until then it a nice 10" Tablet without an Eco System. Google should have taken control 2 years ago.
What is this "Eco System" you are talking about? The big brother approach of Apple?

Honestly you should consider the benefits of Android being open. Yes, you are forced to act more reasonably (i.e. spare the data-mining free apps available, i.e. check an apps permissions before installing, i.e. read the fn reviews of the app). Nevertheless the openness is really great.

I personally love the possibility to have other sources for Apps than a single-company App Store. Actually some of Samsungs offerings are quite neat - so if you like them, go grab them at Samsungs Apps Store. Samsungs security suite is quite nice btw (and offers everything including forced wipe and phone tracking). Same applies to other vendors.

I also like some of the carrier specific Apps I own i.e. being able to synchronize my Adress Book to someone that is not Google but my carrier's server (which binds me to the carrier and not to the Smartphone OS) or having a widget showing me my data usage.

Heck - if I want a walled garden approach I just install the Amazon AppStore on Android. I can also get my Apps from there.

In short - what kind of benefit does the "Eco System"-approach bring?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:43 PM   #124
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
And the iphone is made of the same stuff as a bums beercan... Your point?
The Nexus body is "rubbery" to quote one of the reviewers. If that's your thing then more power to you. I prefer a beautiful, smooth, polished aluminum back myself, but to each his own. By the way... We are are discussing Tablets not phones.
MacDav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:46 PM   #125
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape123 View Post
Apple created the [...] smartphone market
Apple did no such thing.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion