iPad Mini Sells Out in Two Hours at Apple's Flagship Fifth Avenue Retail Store - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:51 PM   #26
AppleInMyBlood
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrjy View Post
I've been using my Mini all day and one of my main concerns was the screen, I have both an iPhone 4S and iPad 3 so have now become accustomed to the retina display but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, the Mini screen is nowhere near as bad as you might first think. It's obviously not retina but it definitely hasn't put me off...I'd suggest looking for yourself before slagging it off, you might be surprised.
I presume you weren't referring to me as "slagging off" the mini's display, as I was doing the opposite! But anyway, I am very pleased to read your comments.
AppleInMyBlood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:51 PM   #27
komodrone
Banned

one thing i'm wondering, if you know you're the 800th person, why are you waiting in line? does a store even carry 800 iPads?
komodrone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:52 PM   #28
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Mini will be top seller for Apple.

Just behind iPhone 5 and iPad 4.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:52 PM   #29
Nungster
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson View Post
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.
I live here in Florida, and storms/hurricanes are no stranger to these parts. Storms come and go, people heed and people ignore warnings. Thus people end up dying. Death is a fact of life, and world moves on.
Nungster is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #30
Chrjy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInMyBlood View Post
I presume you weren't referring to me as "slagging off" the mini's display, as I was doing the opposite! But anyway, I am very pleased to read your comments.
No not at all...wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, I just think people should check it out for themselves before passing judgement. I find that a lot with Apple products, sometimes you don't really get it until you have a hands on experience...it's weird!!
Chrjy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #31
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Apple FTW!

Another amazing magical product; another amazing magical product debut!

Apple never ceases to astound. They are the most innovative company in the history of the world, bringing more joy to more people than anyone ever before.

Since Apple hit the scene, productivity has skyrocketed, because workers can actually USE their technology, instead of spending 5 or 6 hours each workday trying to get rid of bugs and viruses.

Equal parts technology and liberal arts, the world is finally realizing that because Apple products Just Work, the majority can now Think Different.
iGrip is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #32
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
Better idea than waiting in line for an iPad mini: help with clean up and rescue efforts.
Why can't they do both? The world isn't binary.
rwilliams is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #33
Kadman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

Selling out doesn't mean it was a huge success. All it means at this point is that they sold what they had. We have no idea how many they had. Maybe it was a big hit and maybe it wasn't, but that can't be determined with the limited info at this time. Maybe they only got 5 devices and sold all 5.

Kadman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:53 PM   #34
euphemus
macrumors newbie

Does anyone here think for a second that Apple doesn't precisely engineer stock levels in the first weeks of a launch so that there are reports that 'xyz product has sold out'? When iPad 3 launched, my local Apple store had crateloads of stock from day 1 but they were still handing out tickets to 'reserve' devices and an empty line was roped-off...you know, just in case there was a stampede to grab the last iPad from the pile of 4000. Creating the impression of short supply, when you control the largest electronic supply chain in the world is, well, kind of ballsy.

I generally love Apple hardware but the iPad mini has nothing new, nothing innovative and nothing exciting about it. It is rushed-out product designed to fill a demographic segment.
euphemus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:55 PM   #35
AppleInMyBlood
macrumors regular

Quote:
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.
You're not seriously suggesting retail stores should all shut down, are you? That would do wonders for the economy.

But since you're so fond of being judgmental, how's this:

How dare you be spending your time reading MacRumours on a day when people are struggling against Superstorm Sandy?! Disgusting! You should be busy making donations, or on a flight to the East Coast to help out, or at the very least reading about the storm on a general news site!
AppleInMyBlood is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:55 PM   #36
Chrjy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphemus View Post
I generally love Apple hardware but the iPad mini has nothing new, nothing innovative and nothing exciting about it. It is rushed-out product designed to fill a demographic segment.
I wish all rushed out products where as good!
Chrjy is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:57 PM   #37
Brett.F
macrumors newbie

I wonder if the black iPad mini will scratch easily? How many complaints are we going to get now?...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:57 PM   #38
catalyst6
macrumors 6502

i think apple built like 15 white ipad mini's

they aren't selling out first because they are more popular, they are selling out first because there are so few out there, for whatever reason
catalyst6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:59 PM   #39
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

I think there was a lot of pent up demand for a smaller iPad and that has been met with this release. I had a chance to play with one at an Apple store earlier today and it is a very nice device. I had some concerns about the display but after seeing it I think it's ok. For reading books it will be 100 times better than the full size iPad because it is unbelievably light.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett.F View Post
I wonder if the black iPad mini will scratch easily? How many complaints are we going to get now?...
Same anodised aluminium case as the iPhone5 so it will scratch as easily.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:04 PM   #40
AppleInMyBlood
macrumors regular

Quote:
Here we go again--because you aren't excited about the iPad mini, there's "nothing exciting about it."

I'm excited and I'm not even in the market for one yet (I'm saving up for a shiny new iMac. )

And "a rushed-out product"? Hardly. People have been saying Apple should sell a smaller iPad since before the original Kindle Fire arrived. They launched it when it was ready. If they wanted to rush it out, it would have been announced before the new Fire was.

----------

Quote:
Lol!!!!

Last edited by AppleInMyBlood; Nov 2, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
AppleInMyBlood is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:06 PM   #41
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
Why can't they do both? The world isn't binary.
They can.

Its just sad that in a time like this, waiting in line for hours to be one of the first people to have an iPad mini takes precedence.
Parise is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:09 PM   #42
xero9
macrumors regular

I don't see what there is to be excited about.. Honestly, it's a smaller form factor with 1.5 year hardware inside. Maybe I'm missing something.
xero9 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:10 PM   #43
euphemus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Apple Maps?
2012 MacPro update?
Final Cut X?

You got your wish.
euphemus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:11 PM   #44
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
How many in line were Asians buying them all up for resell?
I'm sure some, but there were others, as well. I walked past around 11:30 and could see what appeared to be legitimate end user buyers. The line was still a block long.
KPOM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:12 PM   #45
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Well what do you expect people to do, stay at home and beat themselves with birch twigs. Life has to go on and I'm sure the people queuing were glad to get away from the reality of their situation for a few hours. There are people all over the world dying for lack of clean water, simple medicines or in pointless conflicts, human existance can be a nightmare so what do you suggest we all do?
everything-i is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:12 PM   #46
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.

Lol you're getting played by Apple. Only 800 people and it sold out? That's probably only 1,000 units sold at one of their largest and most important stores.

Typical apple though. Deliever a shortage to make the demand seem higher.
Battlefield Fan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:13 PM   #47
Chrjy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple Maps?
2012 MacPro update?
Final Cut X?

You got your wish.
Am I missing something....whereabouts in my last post did I mention any of those pieces of software?
Chrjy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:13 PM   #48
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAK View Post
It's disgusting....I'm an Apple guy and to even care about this now with all that is happening in the Tri-State is gluttony.
Wrong sin. Your post sounds more like envy to me. As for what others do with their personal time and money, that's frankly none of your concern.
Kaibelf is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:14 PM   #49
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
Well what do you expect people to do, stay at home and beat themselves with birch twigs. Life has to go on and I'm sure the people queuing were glad to get away from the reality of their situation for a few hours. There are people all over the world dying for lack of clean water, simple medicines or in pointless conflicts, human existance can be a nightmare so what do you suggest we all do?
Be a decent human being and help out around the city that you live in which was just destroyed?
Parise is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:15 PM   #50
mex4eric
macrumors 6502

Sounds a lot more popular than the naysayers proclaim. Another niche filled to cover the spectrum of needs and wants. Numbers of iPad sales totals will swamp PC sales. iPad internet traffic will notch up again.
mex4eric is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion