Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #101
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.


This is true, except is isn't selling as well as iPad original. Nice device but screen is a let down. It's kinda like flying first class, it sux to fly economy again..

Last edited by Fruit Cake; Nov 2, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:49 PM   #102
chukronos
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Colleyville, TX
I hope it sells well. But, a sell out doesn't mean volume. I am not surprised to hear of a sellout with the known stock shortages. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-says-analyst/ Many people on here posted about the short supply in stores.

I am curious of the actual numbers.
__________________
iMac 27" i7 680mx - Black MacBook - Old as S#!& but works great! / iPhone 5 / iPad (3rd generation)
chukronos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:52 PM   #103
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson View Post
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.
Life does continue.
hexonxonx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:52 PM   #104
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
This is true, except is isn't selling as well as iPad original. Nice device but screen is a let down.
just released this morning. Everyone just didn't throw away their iPad 1,2,3. Plus there are other tablets to consider.
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:00 PM   #105
bommai
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K. View Post
Racism

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

He's not being racist. It is true that Asian people will buy apple products to resell for a profit overseas. I work at a retail store and see it all the time, and yes they're mostly Asian. Just because someone fits into a certain stereotype doesn't make it racist. I'm Hispanic and I love burritos.

Oh and I think apple restricts 2 iPads per customer and some stores just 1 to combat resellers.
Asian is not a race!!! Asia has several races. Which Asian country are you talking about? Israel is in Asia, India is in Asian, Japan is in Asia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, parts of Russia! Be more specific. I hate the term Asian. Too generic.
bommai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:04 PM   #106
GekkePrutser
macrumors 6502a
 
GekkePrutser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
That's mad... I picked mine up from PC World here in Ireland this morning and there was absolutely no one waiting. We don't have an official Apple store in this country unfortunately so I wonder if this queue phenomenon is less pronounced with resellers because they're more of them.
GekkePrutser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:07 PM   #107
f00f
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Yawk
I'm one of those few folks who said "Nahh, I'm gonna pass on the Mini." Somewhat in denial of the fact that I'm a gadget nerd & programmer for a living, not to mention convinced that Apple uses some subliminal messaging techniques....

It was inevitable, my acquisition of the 64GB Mini that is. While out looking for a gas station with fuel (I'm in a hard-hit area on the south shore of Long Island), I "randomly" stopped at a local Best Buy. All they had left at that point were black Minis of various sizes. White seems to be in higher demand.

The local Apple store didn't sell out either; they still had 32GB in white and black and 64GB in black around 2pm here. Sandy is likely the damper on the launch here, despite that many people are not at work or school and are out and about.
__________________
13" MBA mid 2012 | 27" iMac late 2012 | iPhone 5S 64GB Space Gray
f00f is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:10 PM   #108
Bruce Oksol
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
This is true, except is isn't selling as well as iPad original. Nice device but screen is a let down. It's kinda like flying first class, it sux to fly economy again..
For certain applications, retinal display will be nice, no doubt, but for 99% of us, including all the Asians buying the device for resale, the iPad mini is absolutely incredible. I wasn't planning to buy one, but I was curious. I couldn't believe how incredible it was. It is absolutely gorgeous. Even without retinal it makes my blog look awesome.

The Boston flagship store on Boylston opened at 8:00 a.m. and was sold out by 8:43. When I got there at about 8:43 (the very time, they were starting to tell folks that no more minis were available, but more coming in daily), there were about 30 folks in line.

I assume Apple bases daily deliveries on previous days sales at each store, and that's why stores themselves don't know how many they will be getting.

My hunch is that Apple has daily deliveries to retail stores down to a real science. These supply issues are not manufactured (no pun intended). Apple could simply keep manufacturing 110% of what they need, stacking them in warehouses, and then releasing them when they have more than they need for that particular point in time, but then we would be waiting several months to even have a chance to buy them, and Apple would be paying for warehouse rental.

This is not rocket science.
Bruce Oksol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:20 PM   #109
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
just released this morning. Everyone just didn't throw away their iPad 1,2,3. Plus there are other tablets to consider.
No and it will sell well, Xmas is around the corner, how many kids u think want of of those under the tree? BUT I prefer the retina screen, and as you say, haven't thrown my ipad3 out, typing on it as we speak. For movies, the low res display is fine, reading, not so much.

Of course we all know what the "new iPad mini 2" will have in 6 months time right?
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:20 PM   #110
franktho
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwilson View Post
They're pulling corpses out of the water and these people are lining up to buy the latest gadget. I don't know what's more disgusting, the fact people in this area are buying or that Apple is selling.
How do you know that someone in that line today wasn't a first responder (or the family of one) who just wanted a break from this past week? Should they also shut down movie theatres and Broadway shows and Wall Street jobs and Starbucks?

I don't believe it is appropriate to make a rush to judgement about 'these people'.
franktho is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:24 PM   #111
Andrew K.
macrumors 65816
 
Andrew K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Asian is not a race!!! Asia has several races. Which Asian country are you talking about? Israel is in Asia, India is in Asian, Japan is in Asia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, parts of Russia! Be more specific. I hate the term Asian. Too generic.
I never said they were. The people who come in the store are Indian, Chinese, and Korean mostly. They're all from Asia. Therefore Asian. I don't see the problem. I'm American and I am Hispanic. I don't get offended if someone says I'm American overseas.
__________________
iPhone 5 Black 32GB l iPad Air Black 32GB l MacBook Pro 15.4" Late 2008 l Apple TV 3
Andrew K. is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:24 PM   #112
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Oksol View Post
For certain applications, retinal display will be nice, no doubt, but for 99% of us, including all the Asians buying the device for resale, the iPad mini is absolutely incredible. I wasn't planning to buy one, but I was curious. I couldn't believe how incredible it was. It is absolutely gorgeous. Even without retinal it makes my blog look awesome.

The Boston flagship store on Boylston opened at 8:00 a.m. and was sold out by 8:43. When I got there at about 8:43 (the very time, they were starting to tell folks that no more minis were available, but more coming in daily), there were about 30 folks in line.

I assume Apple bases daily deliveries on previous days sales at each store, and that's why stores themselves don't know how many they will be getting.

My hunch is that Apple has daily deliveries to retail stores down to a real science. These supply issues are not manufactured (no pun intended). Apple could simply keep manufacturing 110% of what they need, stacking them in warehouses, and then releasing them when they have more than they need for that particular point in time, but then we would be waiting several months to even have a chance to buy them, and Apple would be paying for warehouse rental.

This is not rocket science.
No but I don't think they made that many to begin with, they weren't sure how many they would sell. Boston apple store may be out of stock but in Australia apparently the retailers here have plenty of stock. Stock will be lower, they are launching 22 countries in 1 go. Usually it's 6-7 countries. Still, I wish they put the guts of the nexus7 into this thing, it would be so much more value. Of course when you own the market you can afford to be complacent.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:28 PM   #113
supertomtom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbajabba View Post
We got an Asian couple here in our company who religiously take the week of new releases off to buy massive amounts of stock between them to sell them via a family member overseas. They flew over with about 20 4S and already have about 15 iPhone 5 (they came around the department and asked if we want to buy some). His brother sold the 4S for $1500 and he sold them all.

Not racist, but certainly part of the iVironment (see what I did there).
Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. Your shrewd observation of 'Asians' must be true then. Now I feel compelled as an Asian to go in line just to scam your 'iVironment'
supertomtom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:47 PM   #114
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom View Post
Thanks for your anecdotal evidence. Your shrewd observation of 'Asians' must be true then. Now I feel compelled as an Asian to go in line just to scam your 'iVironment'
To be fair though - we have similarities here - people pay stupid prices on eBay just to get their hands on iTools early - but I was shocked how much they pay in Asia.
Jibbajabba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:13 PM   #115
Constable Odo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
Won't sell well.
Overpriced.
Crappy screen.
No market niche.
Nexus 7 is better.
No Retina.
CPU is old.
RAM is weak.
Tim Cook's major failure.
Apple's greed is unrelenting.


It's rumored that Apple only had 1000 iPad Mini units in stock for each store. Tim Cook messed up on getting sufficient inventory. That's why it sold out. That was the main reason Apple shares lost another $20.
Constable Odo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:15 PM   #116
Krafty
macrumors 601
 
Krafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: La La Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew K. View Post
I never said they were. The people who come in the store are Indian, Chinese, and Korean mostly. They're all from Asia. Therefore Asian. I don't see the problem. I'm American and I am Hispanic. I don't get offended if someone says I'm American overseas.
What store do you work at?
__________________
Krafty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:16 PM   #117
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
No and it will sell well, Xmas is around the corner, how many kids u think want of of those under the tree? BUT I prefer the retina screen, and as you say, haven't thrown my ipad3 out, typing on it as we speak. For movies, the low res display is fine, reading, not so much.

Of course we all know what the "new iPad mini 2" will have in 6 months time right?
I played with the mini for a couple of minutes. Not having the retina display just didn't seem like a big deal.
__________________
iPhone 5s 64Gb T-mobile Gold13" MacBookPro BaseiPad air, ATV3Airport ExpressiPhone 5, 64Gb, black(wife)iPad mini(wife)
osofast240sx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:20 PM   #118
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Two hours huh? Thats hardly a winner..... It could be just low stock. P,us, the lines wen't as long.... Thats tells me everthing.


So judge on big lines
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:36 PM   #119
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post
I played with the mini for a couple of minutes. Not having the retina display just didn't seem like a big deal.
I played with mine a bit longer, got both side by side.. I guess our needs differ.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:49 PM   #120
pig pile
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Kids like customization. They will go with Android.
but their parents will not like more customization, they prefer a controlled environment. apple will decimate the competition with the mini in the 8-13 demographic. another thing, kids that young won't give a crap about retina either
pig pile is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:51 PM   #121
iPastor
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
My quick observation...

I stood in line at Best Buy this AM, there were only 6 of us at 8AM. They had about 25 iPads available. I got mine, and got out.

I went to the Apple Store at 8:30A, they had about 75 units on the Genius Bar, with 8 of them being white. They said majority wanted white. I agree, the white is nice in the mini. It just looked as good as the iPhone, to my eye.

I got my mini out at home. The screen is a slight setback as I am used to the retina display on my 4G LTE iPad. But, I'm getting used to it. The black shows my finger prints everywhere and its noticeable. My kids left their prints everywhere too.

I am thinking I will go with the white mini LTE in a couple weeks, and possibly sell my iPad. The small size is very nice, and with my folio case coming, will be just about right for 90% of what I do. Works great for the web, and I love the Kindle App!

Last edited by iPastor; Nov 2, 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Spelling error caused by the mini self-correcting!
iPastor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:51 PM   #122
xofruitcake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadman View Post
Selling out doesn't mean it was a huge success. All it means at this point is that they sold what they had. We have no idea how many they had. Maybe it was a big hit and maybe it wasn't, but that can't be determined with the limited info at this time. Maybe they only got 5 devices and sold all 5.

Piper Jeffarray think 1 to 1.5m units over the next three days and it will be supply constrained. We will find out on Monday..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavi...les-of-1-1-5m/

Apple this morning is launching sales of the iPad Mini, triggering the usual Street speculation on opening weekend sales. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster thinks the company can sell 1 million to 1.5 million iPads for the three-day period.
xofruitcake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:57 PM   #123
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by pig pile View Post
but their parents will not like more customization, they prefer a controlled environment. apple will decimate the competition with the mini in the 8-13 demographic. another thing, kids that young won't give a crap about retina either

Nope... I even get a headache sometimes from constantly using my ipad 3 for long periods, and i'm in my 30's.

Then again, if you've seen the stream on Microsoft, what about the Windows 8 phone, those kids on stage certainly liked it.
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:00 PM   #124
shiseiryu1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
It's very nice

I have to say that I was a little skeptical, but I think the iPad Mini is a really nice product. My wife got one for her birthday and I really like the size and weight of it. I makes the full-sized iPad seem huge and overweight in comparison. It's much more pleasant to hold..especially for long periods of time. This is definitely the future of iPad computing. The front facing camera is noticeably sharper compared to the 3rd gen iPad.

The screen is not retina but it definitely looks better than an iPad2 even though it's the same resolution. Shrinking those pixels helped to compensate for the relatively weak resolution. I'm sure they'll release a retina version eventually but they're going to have to wait for the technology to mature (become cheaper/lighter/thinner).

The smart cover seems better thought out for this device also. I noticed that when you stand up the iPad Mini in landscape mode it rests at a much more natural angle than the 3rd gen iPad in the smart cover. The 3rd gen iPad almost feels like it's going to fall forward and crash but the angle that the iPad mini sits at is perfect.

If you do a lot of traveling I think this iPad is a much better choice...it's much smaller and lighter but still quite pleasant to use. I just might have to get one also.
__________________
27" iMac 15" Retina Pro TV iPhone5S x 2 iPad Mini Retina
shiseiryu1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:01 PM   #125
topmounter
macrumors 68000
 
topmounter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FEMA Region VIII
Surprised? LOL, give me a break. Of course they're going to "sell out".

And I'm still scratching my head on how they forgot to include a retina screen.... iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, New Ipad, New New iPad, 13" MBP, 15" MBP... iPad Mini?... nah, forget about it
__________________
iLoveDrones.com
topmounter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Images of Completed Brisbane, Australia Flagship Apple Retail Store Emerge MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 70 Jan 16, 2014 03:50 PM
Apple Begins Hiring for Flagship Retail Store in Brisbane, Australia MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 25 Dec 3, 2013 01:20 AM
Former Apple Employee Sells Apple Retail Store Displays jackfilmproject iPhone 6 Aug 28, 2013 06:59 PM
Apple to Relocate Flagship San Francisco Retail Store to Union Square MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 60 May 17, 2013 03:37 PM
What retail store (in Toronto) sells 'Wrapsol'/SGP? gamecube117 iPhone Accessories 1 Sep 26, 2012 08:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC