Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Angry AT&T won't let me exchange defective iPhone 5 for a new one?

Purchased an iPhone 5 yesterday at an AT&T corporate store and it was defective with a bad screen. I took it there today and the girl came out with a new one and then the manager stopped her and said they don't do DOA exchanges on iPhones anymore. She told me I'd have to take it to Apple. Then she said Apple handles all issues in the first 30 days now.

Complete BS!!! I said forget it, paid the $35 restocking fee and left as the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away.

Wow. Could this be because of all the defective iPhone 5s that were going out? The back of the receipt did say this.
BlueMoonForever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:41 PM   #2
regbarc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonForever View Post
Purchased an iPhone 5 yesterday at an AT&T corporate store and it was defective with a bad screen. I took it there today and the girl came out with a new one and then the manager stopped her and said they don't do DOA exchanges on iPhones anymore. She told me I'd have to take it to Apple. Then she said Apple handles all issues in the first 30 days now.

Complete BS!!! I said forget it, paid the $35 restocking fee and left as the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away.

Wow. Could this be because of all the defective iPhone 5s that were going out? The back of the receipt did say this.
I'm kind of surprised you paid the restocking fee.

Time to get a new carrier.
regbarc is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by regbarc View Post
I'm kind of surprised you paid the restocking fee.

Time to get a new carrier.
Tell me about it. I argued and argued with the manager but they wouldn't budge. What was I suppose to do?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Tell me about it. I argued and argued with the manager but they wouldn't budge. What was I suppose to do?
Go to a different store? If all else fails, just go to the Apple Store, they'll replace it no questions asked.
ProudLoz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a

Sorry to read about your experience with AT&T.

I can understand their position in light of what has been happening with all of the iP5 exchanges. However, I am quite surprised that they did not treat you in a better fashion.

Might I suggest that you call AT&T's customer service line and inquire about the $35.00 restocking fee. Perhaps, they may be inclined to issue a credit on your next bill. At the very least, I would contact Apple and explain your circumstances in an attempt to facilitate a delivery of another unit.
erratikmind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:01 PM   #6
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Why wouldn't you just call Apple Care? They will ship a replacement to you within a few days.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7
foam
macrumors member

Or why don't you just return it and buy a new one
foam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Well really they don't exchange phones Apple does so there is no real complaint except for the defective screen and restocking fee. The warranty is with Apple not AT&T
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:31 PM   #9
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam View Post
Or why don't you just return it and buy a new one
Because the credit takes a couple days and I don't want my credit card maxed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Why wouldn't you just call Apple Care? They will ship a replacement to you within a few days.
I paid for a brand new phone and should have one ASAP. Why should I wait a couple days and use a defective iPhone 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Well really they don't exchange phones Apple does so there is no real complaint except for the defective screen and restocking fee. The warranty is with Apple not AT&T
That's true but usually after your return period is over with.

AT&T Customer relations credited me $78 on my account due to the incompetent/rude staff.

Very pleased with AT&T's customer service.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Next time go to the manufacturer/Apple.
The wireless carrier doesnt provide warranty services, they just sell the phone and plan.
Apple handles the hardware issues, replacement, exchanges etc..
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:46 PM   #11
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Next time go to the manufacturer/Apple.
The wireless carrier doesnt provide warranty services, they just sell the phone and plan.
Apple handles the hardware issues, replacement, exchanges etc..
Your right, but I was only in my second day in the buyer's remorse period. I can understand if this was past AT&T's 14 day return policy. They have always exchanged defective phones in the past.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Your right, but I was only in my second day in the buyer's remorse period. I can understand if this was past AT&T's 14 day return policy. They have always exchanged defective phones in the past.
It doesnt matter if its 2nd day or 1st.
Unless you want to return it and buy another one then you could do that. The carrier doesnt do warranty replacements.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:59 PM   #13
kalexn
macrumors 6502

Quote:

That really does stink. I wouldn't have paid the $35 restocking fee. I do think though that while they probably should have taken it back since it is an Apple product you do have to go through Apple. I know that is how the Sprint store is.
kalexn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:02 PM   #14
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
It doesnt matter if its 2nd day or 1st.
Unless you want to return it and buy another one then you could do that. The carrier doesnt do warranty replacements.
My mom actually got a defective 3GS from them a couple years ago and they swapped it for a new one.

Last year I got a defective iPhone 4S and they swapped it out.

Never was I told to go to the Apple store unless your not in your buyer's remorse.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalexn View Post
That really does stink. I wouldn't have paid the $35 restocking fee. I do think though that while they probably should have taken it back since it is an Apple product you do have to go through Apple. I know that is how the Sprint store is.
It was either that or take the defective product. Nearest Apple store is 2 hours away, so why should I be inconvenienced?

I paid the $35 restocking fee, yes, but AT&T customer relations credited me $78 on my account for all the hassle. Very happy about that, since my phone bill is $80/mo.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:04 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
My mom actually got a defective 3GS from them a couple years ago and they swapped it for a new one.

Last year I got a defective iPhone 4S and they swapped it out.

Never was I told to go to the Apple store unless your not in your buyer's remorse.
That's not how it works though, your warranty is from Apple not AT&T.
If they did it before you got lucky, now they barely have any iphone 5's to go around so you have to contact the manufacturer for that.
I know you dont want to hear that or even try to understand it but that's how it works.
Your phone has a year warranty from APPLE, its not covered by your wireless provider period.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:09 PM   #16
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
If all else fails, just go to the Apple Store, they'll replace it no questions asked.

He did say the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away. 5 hours of driving is surely to cost more than the restocking fee....not to mention what 5 hours of your time is worth.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:14 PM   #17
HowardSmith
Banned

I do not think the carrier has ever done warranty replacments. You got to return and then buy another.
HowardSmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:16 PM   #18
BFizzzle
Banned

edit delete delete delete.. i cant read.. delete
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:19 PM   #19
ScottJ
macrumors member

Quote:

You might want to try calling up AT&T customer service, explain your situation with this phone (tried to exchange in store but store manager refused), and see if they'll issue you a $35 courtesy credit.
ScottJ is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:24 PM   #20
blueroom
macrumors 603

People should read the store's policy before hand.
blueroom is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:59 PM   #21
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
You might want to try calling up AT&T customer service, explain your situation with this phone (tried to exchange in store but store manager refused), and see if they'll issue you a $35 courtesy credit.
Read up a few posts. They credited me $78 as a courtesy credit. I'm very pleased with AT&T's customer service.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:03 PM   #22
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Read up a few posts. They credited me $78 as a courtesy credit. I'm very pleased with AT&T's customer service.
That is pretty surprising. You must have gotten a saint rep.
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:19 PM   #23
smellysox8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Because the credit takes a couple days and I don't want my credit card maxed out.
Maybe you should reevaluate your finances before splurging on a luxury item.
smellysox8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:29 PM   #24
BlueMoonForever
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysox8 View Post
Maybe you should reevaluate your finances before splurging on a luxury item.
Did I mention I purchased the 64GB iPhone 5 at no commitment? I'm sure your smart, do the math.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:31 PM   #25
Alag28
macrumors 6502

Luckily for me the manager gave me a one time courtesy and waived the 35$ because my microphone/speaker input was completely shot and i was well within the 30 day period. OP you should of def brought the matter to a more serious level because we are paying hard earned money and its not ur fault that we receive a defective phone. Good luck
Alag28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone