Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
I am looking at using my Ipad Mini as a car GPS as my Garmin has seen its better days. I preordered the Mini with Verizon LTE.

I already bought Navigon for my iPad 3 but it is just too big for in car and my iphone 4S is just too small for my needs.

1st - Does this seem like a viable option?

2nd - Are there any companies that make a dash mount somewhat like my Garmin has?

itismadhan

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
I am also interested in this kinda thing but I do NOT want to get a cellular data iPad mini. I want to know if there is an option to download maps in a particular app and use it as a GPS? Please let me know. Sorry if I am jacking ur thread :apple:

nrweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
you could download Navigon app, but without having the wifi/cellular version you wouldn't have GPS.

So I am not sure that would be of any use.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
The motionx apps allow you to download maps of your choice from an online database. also there are a number of Bluetooth GPS transceivers you can get and just place on your dash then link to your mini. That's what I plan on doing.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Does this seem like a viable option?
That's a question that you have to answer. It's certainly viable if it suits your needs/wants.

Are there any companies that make a dash mount somewhat like my Garmin has?
No idea what Garmin's mounts are like but I'd start with ProClip or another company known to provide device mounts that securely mount to a vehicle.

I am also interested in this kinda thing but I do NOT want to get a cellular data iPad mini. I want to know if there is an option to download maps in a particular app and use it as a GPS?
There are plenty of nav apps that use locally stored map data. The problem, however, is that you can only get a GPS receiver on the cellular version. If you get the WiFi-only version you won't be able to use GPS.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
I am also interested in this kinda thing but I do NOT want to get a cellular data iPad mini. I want to know if there is an option to download maps in a particular app and use it as a GPS? Please let me know. Sorry if I am jacking ur thread :apple:

Spelling out the PS in GPS will tell you the answer to your question is 'No'. Without a cellular connection, there's nothing to tell the mapping app your current location.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Spelling out the PS in GPS will tell you the answer to your question is 'No'. Without a cellular connection, there's nothing to tell the mapping app your current location.
It has nothing to do with having or not having a cellular connection - the problem is apple only includes GPS receivers on the cellular models.
There is no requirement for an Internet or cellular connection for GPS to work

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
It has nothing to do with having or not having a cellular connection - the problem is apple only includes GPS receivers on the cellular models.
There is no requirement for an Internet or cellular connection for GPS to work

IOW, a WiFi model won't work.

masc

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2008
Of course the WiFi model does not work, because it lacks GPS.
But there is no need to use cellular do get a GPS signal.

zeezey

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
If you tether your iphone to your ipad mini it will share the GPS. So it doesn't matter if it doesn't have a gps chip.

highredrob

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Lake Lure, NC

You can use the iPad Mini for GPS without cellular. Just use your iPhone or other device as a WiFi Hotspot. The iPad will connect through the Hotspot.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
You can use the iPad Mini for GPS without cellular. Just use your iPhone or other device as a WiFi Hotspot. The iPad will connect through the Hotspot.

The hotspot doesn't reliably transmit location data, unfortunately. :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.