Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bierboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
East Moline, Ill.
Apple has now changed its answer to the question "Can external USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt hard drives be added to Fusion Drive?" found here.

The answer is now this --
"An external drive cannot be used as part of a Fusion Drive volume. Fusion Drive is designed to work with an internal hard disk drive and internal flash storage."

That seems to confirm what I was told at an Apple Store last week...that you can add an external drive to a Mini using a Fusion Drive...it just can't house the OS. Previously, the answer was very ambiguous...stating simply that you "could not use and external drive with a Fusion Drive." The key change there is Apple stating it cannot be used as part of the Fusion Drive volume.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Apple has now changed its answer to the question "Can external USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt hard drives be added to Fusion Drive?" found here.

The answer is now this --
"An external drive cannot be used as part of a Fusion Drive volume. Fusion Drive is designed to work with an internal hard disk drive and internal flash storage."

That seems to confirm what I was told at an Apple Store last week...that you can add an external drive to a Mini using a Fusion Drive...it just can't house the OS. Previously, the answer was very ambiguous...stating simply that you "could not use and external drive with a Fusion Drive." The key change there is Apple stating it cannot be used as part of the Fusion Drive volume.

I wonder if that is because of the external interface (TB, firewire, USB)? Possibly Fusion only works with SATA bus drives, which are internal in all Mac computers at this time (no oem eSATA ports). I am thinking that Disk Utility may be used to create the Fusion array similar to how it creates RAID arrays, and I don't think those allow external drives to be part of the array either.

-howard

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I wonder if that is because of the external interface (TB, firewire, USB)? Possibly Fusion only works with SATA bus drives, which are internal in all Mac computers at this time (no oem eSATA ports). I am thinking that Disk Utility may be used to create the Fusion array similar to how it creates RAID arrays, and I don't think those allow external drives to be part of the array either.

I have 3 RAID arrays, all external.

Heck, just for fun, 1 array is made of USB disks.

So, no, having external drives isn't a problem with RAID, and I'm hoping it won't be with Fusion drive either.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have 3 RAID arrays, all external.

Heck, just for fun, 1 array is made of USB disks.

So, no, having external drives isn't a problem with RAID, and I'm hoping it won't be with Fusion drive either.

Were those RAID arrays created with Disk Utility using separate interfaces?

If so, then that blows that idea! :)

I would like a large internal SSD and also use a larger external Hard Disk and then, if Fusion seems to be working well, run that as a Fusion Array. I am really hoping that Fusion functionality will be part of Disk Utility so the user can configure it themselves.

Hopefully, someone will actually receive a Fusion equipped machine in the next day or so and can tell us what is actually going on inside them.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Disk Utility shows a single volume for the Fusion Drive, not the SSD and the HD. When highlighting the first Macintosh HD in the list, it shows Type: Logical Volume Group.

When highlighting the second Macintosh HD in the list, it shows this:

Using iStat Menu's Disk Activity, it shows that there are two separate disks:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thanks for posting that. :)

But darn ... looks like Apple didn't give us an easy way to manage the Fusion array with Disk Utility (at least for now) without dropping down into Unix with Terminal. No easy way to disable the functionality and treat it as 2 separate disks, and no easy way to create (or re-create) it if desired.

I suppose that the "About This Mac / System Report" also shows the 2 separate drives?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.