Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1
k3ith
macrumors member

iPad mini screen...

I'd just not the same when it's not retina. I know that it's technically a little better than the ipad 2, but if you've gone retina... It's really tough to go back.

I LOVE how the ipad feels in my hand, but apple really missed the mark on leaving out retina. Whenever apple does decide to release an ipad mini with retina, then they have a real winner. As it stands right now, it just feels like a half baked device.
k3ith is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
ninethirty
macrumors 6502

Agreed. I just checked it out at the Apple Store near my place. I'd buy in a second if it had retina. For that price, it definitely should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
I'd just not the same when it's not retina. I know that it's technically a little better than the ipad 2, but if you've gone retina... It's really tough to go back.

I LOVE how the ipad feels in my hand, but apple really missed the mark on leaving out retina. Whenever apple does decide to release an ipad mini with retina, then they have a real winner. As it stands right now, it just feels like a half baked device.
ninethirty is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

These kinds of threads are funny (because they're so ridiculous), but apple has only itself to blame. They've been pushing this retina hype for over two years now, so I guess this is what they get.
QCassidy352 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4
bcaslis
macrumors 68000

Silliest thing I've seen. I have an iPad 3 and iPhone 5. I got the iPad mini this morning and it's beautiful. The screen is not as good when using a magnifying glass on it, but overwise it's very nice. Great color and viewing angle.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
PhoenixMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
Silliest thing I've seen. I have an iPad 3 and iPhone 5. I got the iPad mini this morning and it's beautiful. The screen is not as good when using a magnifying glass on it, but overwise it's very nice. Great color and viewing angle.
+1 to all he said
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6
redman042
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
These kinds of threads are funny (because they're so ridiculous), but apple has only itself to blame. They've been pushing this retina hype for over two years now, so I guess this is what they get.
I don't think Apple made a mistake here at all.

They are not aiming for customers who prioritize a high density display (like myself). For those people, the iPad 4 is the product to get.

With the iPad mini they are aiming for the "rest of us". When the retina iPad came out, there were quite a number of people posting on this same forum that they didn't see the value in the extra pixels and didn't like the tradeoffs (slightly thicker, slightly heavier, runs hotter, CPU has to work harder, etc.). Many wanted a cheaper option. A lot of people went for the iPad 2 for that reason.

Now they have another option and it's a very nice one. I'm holding one in my hands right now in fact (my wife ordered it). It's a beautiful device. Sure it doesn't win over the retina display fans, but others will love it.

If they put a retina display in the mini, it would have cost more and been a lot thicker and heavier, defeating the purpose. They HAD to go non-retina on this one. At least until the technology improves.
redman042 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:17 PM   #7
ninethirty
macrumors 6502

I love Apple. My own friends would call me a fanboy, but this takes the cake. You guys are drunk on the kool-aid.

Everything about the mini is beautiful except for it's terrible screen. It's ok to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMac View Post
+1 to all he said
ninethirty is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:20 PM   #8
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMac View Post
+1 to all he said
Depends on what you are doing. Text on a white background definitely does not look good or even remotely close to a retina display.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethirty View Post
I love Apple. My own friends would call me a fanboy, but this takes the cake. You guys are drunk on the kool-aid.

Everything about the mini is beautiful except for it's terrible screen. It's ok to say that.
Agree. Screen is not great. People normally nit pick but this isn't IMO. The screen is the main point of this device.
bidwalj is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

it has a better screen than my macbook air.

/thread

...or are they fail too.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:34 PM   #10
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Love my rMBP and my iPhone 5's display - however the iPad Mini is still usable for me.
bogatyr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:37 PM   #11
fsumom
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post

/thread

...or are they fail too.
I was just about to post that the mini screen is way better than my 2010 Macbook Pro.
fsumom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Bokes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethirty View Post

Agree as well.
I checked out mini and the NookHD today.
The mini is very nice- but the NookHd's screen is far better.
Most posts here- even from folks who bought and seem to be digging the mini- agree the screen is a major weak spot.
Bokes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:39 PM   #13
nabwong
macrumors regular

Just walked into the store ready to buy the mini. Then I saw the display and told myself I'd wait for the retina version. Its really hard to go back to non-retina. I'm spoiled but this is a luxury purchase anyway. Lol.

Might as well wait for the best. Right now, I'm totally ok with my asus tablet but the iPad mini is such a great size. Love the screen dimensions for reading. For video, still not as good as nexus 7.

Hopefully next year's model will have retina and it'll be my reading tablet.
nabwong is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 04:42 PM   #14
drunkbacchus
macrumors newbie

I think I might be one of the few people who actually don't mind the display.

It's not Retina, but it isn't bad by any means. I do wish it was a tad bit brighter, other than that- I am happy with this purchase.
drunkbacchus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:01 PM   #15
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

I'm still on the fence about the display. Photos and videos are ok....and I just mean ok. Browsing is great and the form factor is phenomenal. It's going to boil down to form factor vs retina. Although I can probably hold out and keep the mini until the mini retina comes.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:03 PM   #16
nickftw8686
macrumors regular

I have been using mine for hours today and it has not gotten hot at all and the weight really is great. The main reason I did not get a bigger iPad was for those reasons. Now i am not saying that when they release a retina mini that it wont run cool and not be heavy but currently its the best option if those are two things you care about.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:07 PM   #17
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Just got my mini a few minutes ago. I can definitely see the difference in the screen, but for me the smaller form factor more than makes up for it for now.

I will definitely upgrade to a retina mini when available...assuming it also has an A6X.

As far as typing goes I like this mini a lot better. I can still touch type using all but my pinky fingers and it actually is more comfortable because of the smaller key spacing. And I also have fairly large hands...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

The ipad mini screen IS disappointing when compared to retina ipad.

But everything else about it is top notch. It feels nice to actually be able to hold my ipad and be comfortable doing it! The screen is disappointing if going from a retina ipad. But the positives truly outweigh the negatives.

This little gadget is amazing! It also seems to be very fast. No regrets whatsoever thus far. The more I use the mini the less the screen bothers me. If you're looking for a truly portable tablet, then this is the way to go overall IMO. And the screen isn't bad, it's just disappointing when coming from a retina screen.
Jacoblee23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:11 PM   #19
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoblee23 View Post
...it's just disappointing when coming from a retina screen.
Well of course it is.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:14 PM   #20
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:

I feel the same way but bought one anyway. At $329 I can live w/ the screen till next gen. Next gen a Retina screen is imperative.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:15 PM   #21
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Well, I agree. I just don't understand anyone who says they can't tell the difference though. It's glaringly obvious to me when looking at text of any kind. Whether it's the home screen or iBooks or Safari. Still.. it's such a thin and light device. If it were retina I would be in heaven. Maybe next year it will be.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:16 PM   #22
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post

/thread

...or are they fail too.
Well your Air's screen is inferior to the rMBP.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:19 PM   #23
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

It is always noticeable. I find it worse though when I view web pages such as this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Well, I agree. I just don't understand anyone who says they can't tell the difference though. It's glaringly obvious to me when looking at text of any kind. Whether it's the home screen or iBooks or Safari. Still.. it's such a thin and light device. If it were retina I would be in heaven. Maybe next year it will be.
Jacoblee23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:21 PM   #24
iAi
Banned

You have to use that as subject title so you'll thread get more attention. Well, you succeeded just like the similar threads which you should have used for the OP.

Enjoy your mini, am jealous.
iAi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:22 PM   #25
nickftw8686
macrumors regular

I have been defending the screen in other threads on the mini, and yes it is not as good as the retina screen, but why would anyone think it would be as good lol. The screen is still good for what it is, and I enjoy using it. I would never and have never expected the screen to be as good as a retina screen, that is just setting it up to fail before you even use it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad