Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
Hey everyone, I'm having a heck of a time trying to install a NEC USB3.0 PCIe card. I'm running Mountain Lion.

Here's the card I purchased (screenshot): http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a98/boostd240/Misc/MAC-PRO-USB30NEC.jpeg
I dont have the molex power adapter connected, from what I've read it's not required on a Mac Pro. Is this true?

The device I'm trying to use a WD MyBook 2TB USB3.0
Works fine in my USB2.0 ports.

I've tried a few .kext files but no luck. The furthest I've gotten was when following this tutorial: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1238494/ The only .kext that shows up in the USB System Information is the old one from this thread. Newer .kext dont seem to work. By the way I had to use Kext Wizard because Kext Helper wouldnt download.

Here's a screen shot of my System Info, the WD drive is plugged in but isnt working.
And AHCI Controller is my ASM1061 eSata/Sata card.

MAC-PRO-USB30-Sys-info.jpeg

I would love to try another USB3.0 device but I dont have one at the moment.
Any suggestions is super appreciated. :)

Last edited:

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
Umm I read somewhere that the Lacie cards perviously only supported Lacie drives only. I wonder since I'm using what I believe are older Lacie drivers, this is the reason my WD MyBook drive isn't working?

I'm starting to think the "cheap" generic card was not worth the headaches. I should have gone with a Lacie or Caldigit card. :confused:

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
Can someone confirm, do I need to connect the card to a power source?

If so It appears there's two PCIe power connections on the main logicboard, one is being used by my graphic card, can I use the other to power the USB3.0 PCIe card? I'll just need a PCIe -to- Molex adapter.

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Sold the generic card to a PC friend and ordered a Lacie card, it will be here today. :)

Hi,

Our cards are not exclusive to LaCie products. When USB 3.0 first came out, most manufacturers had to write their own drivers for OSX since Apple didn't include drivers until recently.

Our cards will mount any USB 2.0 or 3.0 device that is supported by the OS but unless its a LaCie its only guarantee'd to work at USB 2.0 - due to the proprietary drivers.

~mn, LaCie

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
Hi,

Our cards are not exclusive to LaCie products. When USB 3.0 first came out, most manufacturers had to write their own drivers for OSX since Apple didn't include drivers until recently.

Our cards will mount any USB 2.0 or 3.0 device that is supported by the OS but unless its a LaCie its only guarantee'd to work at USB 2.0 - due to the proprietary drivers.

~mn, LaCie
Thanks for your reply.

I've installed the official Lacie USB3.0 PCIe card and the latest drivers (1.0.11) but i'm having a few problems.

- My 2TB WD MyBook external USB3.0 drive isn't mounting.
Although a unpowered 2.5" USB2.0 drive works fine.
Is there a list or any way to determine what USB3.0 devices do not work with this Lacie Card?

- My Magic Mouse is going crazy, lags horribly and occasionally disconnects and reconnects.

- After running the Uninstaller, my Finder sidebar gets messed up and disappears, the only way I've found to get it working again is to run Onyx. Repairing the Permissions on it's own did not solve the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.