Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1
carriesn
macrumors newbie

Not sure if right place but question about data from iTunes...

Hi there.

Im wondering if it was possible to set up a webpage that pulls data from the app store on iTunes.

Im trying to set up an online (school only) app catalog for teachers-- we have so many useful apps on our ipads but the teachers dont have time to explore. I thought, rather than having to manually feed in all the information about an app, that maybe I could pull the data and insert it in the webpage instead. That way, if the information is updated, the webpage would always reflect the most updated information.

Anyway- hoping someone can point me in the right direction! Thanks!
carriesn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

See here:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliat...earch-api.html

That description assumes you already know how to write web-apps, parse and use JSON responses, and so on. The web-app could be client-based, i.e. JavaScript running in a browser, or it could be server-based, i.e. PHP or something else that pulls JSON, reformats it, and presents it as HTML.

In the examples on that page is one that uses a lookup for an app's unique ID (the Yelp app). So if you have a list of app-IDs from the URLs in the web-based app store, you can translate that into a lookup request. Compare and contrast:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/yelp/id284910350
https://itunes.apple.com/lookup?id=284910350

Or you could just make a much simpler web page that's a big-bucket-of-links, and link to individual apps on the app store.

A lot is going to depend on your programming experience, where you put the lookup or search requests (client-side JavaScript or server-side something-else), what resources you have for serving the content, and what the overall architecture and design is intended to be.
chown33 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming