Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:13 AM   #76
MeFromHere
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Sarcasm aside, what I meant was what's the point of this adapter when it's being sold for the same price as the much more useful geniune Apple USB to lightning adapter? Unless you have some micro USB only type of charger which isn't going to provide enough current anyway.
As for "what's the point?", I think you have a valid point.

This adapter seems much less useful than a normal USB to lightning adapter/cable. They probably don't expect to sell a lot of these, but they are available for people who need them. I do occasionally see "dedicated" microUSB chargers that don't have a regular USB connection at the other end, for example. This tiny adapter lets a new iPhone/iPad/iPod use one of those chargers. (Probably the charging time is pretty long for a full-size iPad.)

The cost to make this microUSB to lightning adapter is probably in the same ballpark as the normal USB to lightning cable, so they are priced alike. I think Apple set their prices high enough to make a profit (obviously), but also high enough that licensees have room to make a profit AND pay the royalty to Apple. That is, I don't think Apple wants to price so low that they undercut their own licensees.

I have no idea how much the royalty for lightning products is. Only Apple and MFi members under NDA have that info. I suspect the primary motive for MFi fees and royalties is to try to keep the sleazy riff-raff from flooding the market with look-alike junk. Junky accessories make for unhappy Apple customers. Yes, Apple gets some income from MFi, but I think they have FAR more effective ways to make money.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:25 AM   #77
rtdunham
macrumors 6502a

It seems like what would be more useful would be a set of three adapters with female lightning ports and three different male outputs: 30-pin, micro USB, and mini USB. With that kit and a single iPad charger and USB-to-lightning cable, you could charge iPods and iPhones of every generation, your digital cameras, kindles, phone backup batteries, BT earpieces and a world of other devices. The adapters could fit neatly into one of those little holders meant for 3 or 4 SD or CF cards, until custom made sleeves were marketed. The Velcro sleeve could fold around the coiled cable.
If your objectives are maximum flexibility and minimum kit to drag along on trips, this would seem to be.a perfect compact solution. But it requires different adapters than the ones being sold now (which only allow other products' chargers to marry with a lightning device. Seems backwards)
rtdunham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:39 AM   #78
winston1236
macrumors 65816

should have been a micro usb to begin with
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:43 AM   #79
magbarn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
should have been a micro usb to begin with
No way. Almost every prior phone I've had with micro USB, after about a year old get worn out. I'd have to give the connector a jiggle to get it to connect. Otoh, despite being more fragile than lightning, every iPhone I've had with the 30 pin connector still worked great after 2 years of use. Honestly, a MagSafe type of connector would've been best with a stronger magnet.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:19 PM   #80
alexander25
Banned

Quote:
No way. Almost every prior phone I've had with micro USB, after about a year old get worn out. I'd have to give the connector a jiggle to get it to connect. Otoh, despite being more fragile than lightning, every iPhone I've had with the 30 pin connector still worked great after 2 years of use. Honestly, a MagSafe type of connector would've been best with a stronger magnet.
how would a magsafe adapter even work for a product so light?
alexander25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:04 PM   #81
MacMan1620
macrumors member

Apple could cure Cancer and someone in these forums would complain about it. If you don't like apple then simply don't buy their products. I certainly don't waste my time posting crap on the Microsoft blog sites.
MacMan1620 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:52 PM   #82
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid View Post

Can you name one? I can't. (Hint: USB cannot do everything Lightning can.)
Actually, it can, just maybe in different ways than what apple implemented. It can do video. It can do music. It can sync data. Again, all it can't do is be plugged in any way because it can't assign different tasks to different pins on the fly. Show me where that is actually necessary and I will eat my words. Otherwise, it is a wonderfully cool party trick that the average end user could care less about.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:58 PM   #83
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Remember folks:

• The chip in there cost Apple nothing to develop.
How does it cost Apple (or ANYONE) nothing to develop a chip?!
wgnoyes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #84
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRuNcHiE View Post
Micro usb CAN do video, they call it MHL.
The galaxy s2 and other phones have micro usb to hdmi.

Seeing as It does that it should also be able to output analogue audio with the right adapter as lightning needs a DAC to produce the analogue audio
Just sayin'
So, it also needs an adapter. And, since this is all digital, it can do more than just video and data

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgnoyes View Post
How does it cost Apple (or ANYONE) nothing to develop a chip?!
He was speaking sarcastically.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander25 View Post
how would a magsafe adapter even work for a product so light?
Its apple, they have to be able to do everything, no matter how possible it is. Thats the notion. I mean, we've seen it when people complain when a product doesn't cater for their needs, and somehow its all Apple's fault.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:51 PM   #85
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
It's far more commonplace than actually using the cable that came with the device, that happens to be a proper USB cable that plugs into every computer ever made, unlike micro USB which only plugs into a USB-to-micro USB cable… silly EU law…
The EU rule is about CHARGERS not cords. Apple's chargers all use normal USB connectors to use whatever connector you need. The "cheaters" in my opinion are the ones with the cord "glued" to the power supply so you can't use whatever your device needs.

Frankly, if you can't keep track of 3 foot of connector cord, how do you live with a $500 phone every day???
mabhatter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:54 PM   #86
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

the world is going to end ohh snappp, what are we going to do with out our cell phones
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:26 PM   #87
justinfreid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to justinfreid Send a message via AIM to justinfreid Send a message via MSN to justinfreid Send a message via Yahoo to justinfreid Send a message via Skype™ to justinfreid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
You summed it up in a nutshell. What it DOES allow for is for apple to have greater control over accessories (a benefit for Apple, not te user).

To all those stating that it was time for change, I won't argue that the old connector was getting long on the tooth. I will still question why they didn't adopt current tech which, with the exception of a reversible plug, can do everything that lightning can. But wait. I can answer my own question. Developing a new plug and collecting 100% of sales is likely more profitable, in the long run, than licensing out micro USB. If you think this was done with the consumer being first, second, or third in mind, you are wrong.
I agree with your conclusion, but the fact that this adapter allows syncing and charging doesn't mean that mini USB, even accounting for its not being reversible, provides all of the functionality that Lightning does. It doesn't mean that it doesn't, but this adapter doesn't prove it.
I suspect there'll be some features that Lightning will enable down the road whether it be through it's mechanics or its electronics.
justinfreid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:32 PM   #88
bandalay
macrumors member

[QUOTE=nagromme;16210775]Remember folks:

I sure don't love those tiny metal USB connectors - it always feels like I'm forcing them - not a positive fit to them. Like the connectors for a 90s clamshell phone that would get a grain of sand in it and fail.

Apple's design of power adapters have redefined the marketplace. No dull, black transformers anymore…thank Ive.

bandalay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 04:22 PM   #89
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

I think this is a great idea. If Apple includes it in the box it would be even better, but, oh well. You have no idea how many people have I've seen ask for an iPhone charger.
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:12 PM   #90
iAll
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
USB and USB mini are plug it in a forget it plugs. I swear I live in another dimension because you can try to plug it in and fail. Flip it around and fail again and finally flip it again and it goes in or you have to flip 1 more time before it goes in.

Sounds like a personal problem. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

A new oem. lightening cable at BestBuy: $20, I bought one yesterday. It's the other end that is important: USB2/charger
iAll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #91
Archer1440
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
and typical Apple par as normal goes against the spirit of the law any how. Still crap that Apple does not have a micro USB port directly on the phone for charging.
The "spirit" of the silly European law is clearly not in the interest of innovation or improvement- something you would realize if you have ever invented anything.

Stupid laws are stupid.
Archer1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:40 PM   #92
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinfreid View Post
I agree with your conclusion, but the fact that this adapter allows syncing and charging doesn't mean that mini USB, even accounting for its not being reversible, provides all of the functionality that Lightning does. It doesn't mean that it doesn't, but this adapter doesn't prove it.
I suspect there'll be some features that Lightning will enable down the road whether it be through it's mechanics or its electronics.
That's the thing though. USB has evolved so much, since the inception of even micro USB. Assuming Apple gives us some killer feature with lightning, I am sure it will be emulated with micro USB as well. Let's also not forget that lightning is based off of USB 2.0 (sadly not 3.0).

In a time when the push is so much to go without cables, I am honestly shocked that we aren't seeing a bigger push on evolutions of wifi, bluetooth, etc. from Apple.

But you are right. Apple might have something magical up their sleeves. Forgive me if I am skeptical, because history has showed, the 30 pin connector isn't something that ever became magical, at all. Yet it still exists. And it still remained proprietary to Apple.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
The "spirit" of the silly European law is clearly not in the interest of innovation or improvement- something you would realize if you have ever invented anything.

Stupid laws are stupid.
You are absolutely right. What it does do, is allow for protection for the end user.

I understand your frustration, but consider for a moment what life would be like without some sort of standards. What if there was no USB standard. No wifi. No bluetooth. Let's go even broader. What about 3G tech? LTE tech? Everyone just duplicated functionality of all of those things with their own proprietary tech. How would our lives be then? Pretty miserable, I'd say.

In general, companies recognize and adopt standards, so we don't need this sort of regulation. The sad thing is Apple doesn't seem to license this sort of thing out. They could very well have made something wonderful. But if we don't have the option to make it the standard, it just ends up being something that gets regulated.

To be clear, Apple is not the only one that does this. Sony is pretty terrible at it, as is/was samsung. The large difference here is that Apple has become largely successful selling devices with these ports, so they are placed under the microscope more frequently.

Last edited by lordofthereef; Nov 3, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:00 PM   #93
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan1620 View Post
Apple could cure Cancer and someone in these forums would complain about it. If you don't like apple then simply don't buy their products. I certainly don't waste my time posting crap on the Microsoft blog sites.
So true!
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:31 PM   #94
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan1620 View Post
Wait. So not being happy with some of the choices Apple makes translates into not liking Apple and therefor those people should be silent?

Iron clad logic, sir. Iron clad.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:45 PM   #95
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:

To be clear, Apple is not the only one that does this. Sony is pretty terrible at it, as is/was samsung. The large difference here is that Apple has become largely successful selling devices with these ports, so they are placed under the microscope more frequently.
Minus the fact that Sony and Samnsung phones use Micro USB for charging and data transpers and have for quite a while.

In the past 4 years the only major smart phone NOT use micro USB is Apple. Everyone else followed the standard and after it was agreed on. Hell they even had their dumb phones using Micro USB.

So again Apple is the one not following suit.

All Apple would need to do is on the side put a micro USB port.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:36 PM   #96
magbarn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Minus the fact that Sony and Samnsung phones use Micro USB for charging and data transpers and have for quite a while.

In the past 4 years the only major smart phone NOT use micro USB is Apple. Everyone else followed the standard and after it was agreed on. Hell they even had their dumb phones using Micro USB.

So again Apple is the one not following suit.

All Apple would need to do is on the side put a micro USB port.
Considering how much Apple fought tooth and nail to trim off 6mm off the sim card let's you know how much room there is for a microusb connector in their current devices.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:38 PM   #97
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Actually, it can, just maybe in different ways than what apple implemented. It can do video. It can do music. It can sync data. Again, all it can't do is be plugged in any way because it can't assign different tasks to different pins on the fly. Show me where that is actually necessary and I will eat my words. Otherwise, it is a wonderfully cool party trick that the average end user could care less about.
I already gave the exact answer earlier in this thread, post #56.

Do you need any ketchup or mustard with that?
zhenya is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:45 PM   #98
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Considering how much Apple fought tooth and nail to trim off 6mm off the sim card let's you know how much room there is for a microusb connector in their current devices.
and then use their design requires the use of a tray that makes it larger than it was before along with using a larger connector makes that not hold water. Also the contacts being used to read a sim card take up more room that a micro....
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:04 PM   #99
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
and then use their design requires the use of a tray that makes it larger than it was before along with using a larger connector makes that not hold water. Also the contacts being used to read a sim card take up more room that a micro....
Actually the use of their design (now the standard) doesn't *require* a tray. It just has a tray design included in the standard.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:18 PM   #100
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Only Apple can make 1000 types of adaptors and make a killing doing it.
You may have confused them with Radio Shack.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion