Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I did a small experiment and ordered a couple of my favorite photos as 4x6 prints from Apple. They arrived today!

First, let me say that these were relatively cheap at 50¢ a pop for 4x6s.

The photos were shot in Adobe RGB so I had concerns over color proofing. Now, the Apple photos had a pretty good color match to what I saw on screen. It was a little warmer than the digital file, and especially on contrasty areas the photos look somewhat foggy. I see the contrast issue as a byproduct of going from RGB to CMYK, but the color cast is purposefully done by Apple. To be honest it's not very noticeable unless you have brownish highlights which might appear warmer in the print than the photo.

At first I thought my lens had something wrong with it because the prints looked as if all the edges had a massive amount of color fringing, when actually the Apple prints just couldn't handle the amount of detail present in the photo. This is probably from the reduction of size. Apple does try to remedy this by boosting contrast on the edges.

Overall I'd say the prints are very good, good for the convenience it provides as you can order directly from Aperture itself.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
With Christmas coming I thought I might try some printing through Apple. I've done a couple photobooks through a local a local shop and they were great but Apple is much less expensive for what appears to be the same quality of paper and binding.

Have you tried any of the other Apple print services (photobook, calendar, etc.)?

Cheers

Last edited:

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I've had maybe 5-6 books printed through Aperture/Apple and was well satisfied with the results and the fast turnaround.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
For the last couple of years , I've been making calendars to send out instead of Christmas cards using iPhoto ( which I despise except as a means to create books , calendars &c)and then shipping the result off to Apple for printing . So far , I've been real happy with the results , really professional looking plus I get them back fast , maybe within a week ( I'm getting 40 - 50 copies so it's a big box )

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I think their printing is a bit overpriced. User above mentioned $.50 for a 4x6. Walgreens or CVS does it for $.12. However I really enjoy the quality of the photo books when I order those. Very professional. Another user mentioned calendars, and I think that I might give that a shot this year. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.