Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I checked the SMART status of my G4 iMac's hard drive in disk utility, and it said the drive was failing. I tried restarting the computer, to see if maybe the computer had made a mistake and the drive was not really failing. Didn't get past the Apple logo. So I tried booting into the Tiger installer, and the installer's disk utility said that the drive was verified. But I still can't get passed the Apple logo when I try to boot into the drive. I'm guessing that it failed, but I figured I'd get some other opinions considering that the Tiger installer said it was verified. Thanks in advance!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The drive's SMART status can be wrong. It can't catch all types of failures. Your drive is likely dead.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
That's too bad. I guess I'll have to look into a new hard drive. Thanks!

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Download "SMART Utility". See if that tells you that you have failed. It'll provide reasons, too. Post them.

Also download TechTool Pro 5/6. Run the SMART test. Post a screencap of the results.

I diagnosed and fixed scores of hard disks when I was working as an Apple tech..

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Just so you know in the future, never turn off the computer after you get that message without backing up your data. When you see that the drive is failing, it is very likely the computer might boot again.

JCLrox

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I wish I had read these replies sooner, haven't checked this thread since yesterday. I replaced the hard drive earlier today, so I guess it's too late to use SMART Utility to check the bad drive. I'm pretty sure that my installation of OS X isn't bad, because I reinstalled Tiger last week. I really appreciate all of you guys helping me, next time I'll be sure to check threads for new replies more often. Thanks again!

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I wish I had read these replies sooner, haven't checked this thread since yesterday. I replaced the hard drive earlier today, so I guess it's too late to use SMART Utility to check the bad drive. I'm pretty sure that my installation of OS X isn't bad, because I reinstalled Tiger last week. I really appreciate all of you guys helping me, next time I'll be sure to check threads for new replies more often. Thanks again!

If you still have the drive, all may not be lost. Drive failures come in many forms.

If you can install that drive as a secondary into some computer, some of your data may still be recoverable...

Pekka

jj17

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Download "SMART Utility". See if that tells you that you have failed. It'll provide reasons, too. Post them.

Also download TechTool Pro 5/6. Run the SMART test. Post a screencap of the results.

I diagnosed and fixed scores of hard disks when I was working as an Apple tech..

How do you download stuff when your computer isn't working? :confused:

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
If you still have the drive, all may not be lost. Drive failures come in many forms.

If you can install that drive as a secondary into some computer, some of your data may still be recoverable...

Pekka
Totally true, when I worked at an Apple reseller as a tech I figured several levels of failure:

1: Drive is making clicking sounds and other weird sounds but working and booting (for the moment)
2: Fails to boot up, attaching it to another Mac says it is damaged and cannot be repaired (usually data recovery should work well.)
3: Attaching it to another Mac says the drive is unrecognised. Click "Ignore". Data recovery software will still be able to work on it.
4: No messages from OS X. Run data recovery software and it *may* detect it. May be only represented as a drive but without partitions.
5: Nothing can see the drive in any from. You're ********. Take it to someone with a clean room and pay $1,000 if you want your data. *Sometimes* replacing the external circuit board on the drive may help, if that has failed for some reason, but I've never seen that happen in my tech experience.

Best data recovery software:

Data Rescue III [commercial, GUI]

testdisk/photorec [free, quite simply CLI interface with instructions]

How do you download stuff when your computer isn't working? :confused:
Use another computer :p

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Agree with everything you said (wrote), except:
5: Nothing can see the drive in any from. You're ********. Take it to someone with a clean room and pay $1,000 if you want your data. *Sometimes* replacing the external circuit board on the drive may help, if that has failed for some reason, but I've never seen that happen in my tech experience.

I disagree because I have.
Okay, it might be, that the circuit boards are better nowadays, because I have not done it recently, but I've "saved" dozens of drives this way between 1998 and 2003. In fact, I helped formulate IT policy for my employers back then, so that we always bought one spare HDD of every type the company used, just to be sure that we always had a spare circuit board to use. I left the statistics at that job (and as mentioned, the results may be outdated), but I remember that about half of all failed HDD's could be "resurrected" by using a spare circuit board.

Pekka

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Agree with everything you said (wrote), except:

I disagree because I have.
Okay, it might be, that the circuit boards are better nowadays, because I have not done it recently, but I've "saved" dozens of drives this way between 1998 and 2003. In fact, I helped formulate IT policy for my employers back then, so that we always bought one spare HDD of every type the company used, just to be sure that we always had a spare circuit board to use. I left the statistics at that job (and as mentioned, the results may be outdated), but I remember that about half of all failed HDD's could be "resurrected" by using a spare circuit board.

Pekka
Heh yeah you're totally right, if all else fails, try a different circuit board from an identical drive... though the one time I did that it didn't help as the drive head had totally crashed into the platters.

Good advice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.