Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
PTVMan
macrumors regular

iPad Mini: Wifi Only or 4G LTE Opinions Please

I used an iPad Mini in the Apple Store today and admit that I love the form factor and even the screen. I'm at odds with whether I should get a wifi only version considering that I can use my iPhone 5 as a hotspot, or would it be smarter/better online performance to get a 4G LTE model? Any opinions or experience to share?
PTVMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 05:40 PM   #2
catalyst6
macrumors 6502a

Invest as little money in this device as possible. Next year, when retina drops, you will want to upgrade. Minimize the depreciation hit. 16GB Wifi hold their value best.

This is a budget device (relatively speaking, of course), when you add the bells and whistles, you are much better suited to the iPad 4th gen.

My philosophy anyway...I wanted to keep the iPad mini purchase as cheap as possible.
catalyst6 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
PhoenixMac
macrumors 6502a

I'm rocking a wifi only until the LTE comes out then will replace my nexus 7 as my car GPS/radio.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Technarchy
macrumors 601

On AT&T tethering is included in my plan, so for me the wifi model is fine.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:00 AM   #5
sam2428
macrumors regular

I have a similar dilemma to the op. not trying to thread jack, but I'm not sure if I should go for an LTE model or not.

I currently have a iPad 2 wifi and it works great for my needs. I typically use it on the couch, in bed, while traveling, and occasionally at a coffee shop. I think that with the smaller form factor of the mini, I might start carrying it around with me more often... If so then the LTE version would be nice.

But if I don't carry it around more then I just wasted a considerable amount of money.
sam2428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:27 AM   #6
slch
macrumors newbie

You should get LTE. I had a portable wifi only tablet and it was a big mistake because I ended using it as a book reader only (and @home).

You can argue about getting a 10" iPad without LTE, but for a mobile device (the mini IS a mobile device) you should get LTE.

If you get Wifi only you'll see yourself having to enable tethering from the phone, joining the wifi, downloading mail... it's weird taking into account that the mini is meant to operate as fast as "grab it, uncover it, surf" just as your mobile device.

If you're planning to keep your mini at home, maybe you should ask yourself if the retina screen is worth it.

Just my 2 cent.
slch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:34 AM   #7
jimbo1mcm
macrumors 65816

If you travel a lot, the wifi in some hotels is suspect once a lot of people get on the system. If you can afford the data plan, the LTE is the way to go.
jimbo1mcm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad