Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:44 AM   #26
92jlee
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to 92jlee
Why didn't you just replace the hard drive and some ram in your 4 year old mbp?
92jlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:56 AM   #27
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuredub View Post
I have also made the switch from 15" rMBP to a 13" MBA.
I cancelled an order for a 15" rMBP and bought a 13" MBA instead.

No regrets.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:47 AM   #28
psxp
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by insimbi View Post
Agreed! I recently returned my 15" rMBP and just got my 13" Air yesterday. Yes, the screen isn't retina, but my retina screen on the MBP was plagued with issues anyway (screen retention). I don't think the retina screen is completely ready for prime time anyway. I'm very happy with the Air and have no regrets making the switch.
I maxed mine out at 2.0GHz/8GB/512GB

I couldn't Justify the added $$ for the screen - especially because 90% of the time the machine is on the desk with a 24" monitor as the main display!
psxp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:53 AM   #29
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Good guy salesman: screws his company out of $1000 dollars
I think it's the opposite. He's earned his company a repeat customer due to his guiding the customer to the right solution.

And $1000 in sale price doesn't mean $1000 more profit. The Air probably has better margin. But my bet is he just wanted to match the customer to the right product. That is what Apple trains their sales staff to do.
dmw16 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:16 AM   #30
MacPat333
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I think it's the opposite. He's earned his company a repeat customer due to his guiding the customer to the right solution.

And $1000 in sale price doesn't mean $1000 more profit. The Air probably has better margin. But my bet is he just wanted to match the customer to the right product. That is what Apple trains their sales staff to do.
Exactly that. Same thing happened to me when I ordered my MBA yesterday. Apple sales rep asked me what I was buying the MacBook for and after I told him fr video editing he informed me that it will work but a MBP or iMac would be a better option to go for. I told him I'd get an iMac next year and that this one would be for the time being and to be portable when traveling even when the iMac will come.

He than have me some information and offered me any additional assistance that I could contact him and ask if I had any questions now or later. Send me a personal confirmation and an apple order confirmation.

I have to say that I have not received that kind of attention with any other brand so far. The entire phone call took like 24 min. with all details and I enjoyed placing my order.

Best thing, I was given a 5% discount without even asking! (does apple give discounts for first time buyers or was I lucky?)
MacPat333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:39 AM   #31
dmw16
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPat333 View Post
Exactly that. Same thing happened to me when I ordered my MBA yesterday. Apple sales rep asked me what I was buying the MacBook for and after I told him fr video editing he informed me that it will work but a MBP or iMac would be a better option to go for. I told him I'd get an iMac next year and that this one would be for the time being and to be portable when traveling even when the iMac will come.

He than have me some information and offered me any additional assistance that I could contact him and ask if I had any questions now or later. Send me a personal confirmation and an apple order confirmation.

I have to say that I have not received that kind of attention with any other brand so far. The entire phone call took like 24 min. with all details and I enjoyed placing my order.

Best thing, I was given a 5% discount without even asking! (does apple give discounts for first time buyers or was I lucky?)
This kind of story is one of the reasons I continue to buy Apple products. For me I'd rather spend a bit more and be treated as a valued customer. It's just like the Nordstrom model (they are known to go above and beyond for customers).

As for the discount I've never heard of that, but that's nice of them. Apple has solid margins on their products so offering something like that is a nice gesture that they can easily afford.
dmw16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #32
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

Agree with OP's decision, it was mine as well.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:05 PM   #33
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Im in the market for 2 new apple laptops, i need one for work and one for home as my old white macbook is dieing. I just own a restaurant so wont be doing anything to power hungry. excel and powerpoint would be the main things apart from internet use. I dont mind spending a bit of money on a product that will last. I think the macbook air 13" i5, 8gb ram and 256gb would be good for my home one and the 13" i5 4gb 128 for work. Would I see any difference for what i use it for upgrading to i7 processor and is the 13" macbook pro any better with the more powerfull processor? I assume id see more performance from the ssd and ram for basic applications. am I right? should i max out the ram on both? i could get the retina 13" but i wasnt blown away by it to be honest when i compared the 3 in store.
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:25 AM   #34
Zetaprime
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanoir View Post
This is so true and I don't think people realise the con of the retina display at the moment. It'll be fine when all apps etc make good use of it, but for now I just think it's hype.
Like many people my age my eyes aren't up to Retina specs..so a retina display would be wasted on me.
Zetaprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:17 AM   #35
iDutchman
macrumors 6502a

Apple employees are trained to act upon a customer's needs and wants.

Thus, he/she will never sell/advice a 15" rMBP if your needs don't acquire one. Instead, he sees the opportunity to sell additional software such as Apple Care or certain packages (inc external HDD of example)

An employee is never focused on selling a barebone machine. The employee is focused on selling a total package. Therefore, the Air made way more sense.

They don't screw you over or screw themselves over. They just advice what's best for you and them (in terms of selling more than just the computer)
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:42 AM   #36
Marv89
macrumors member

I also have 13" Air, I don't see any sense in Retina-Displays at the moment (if you never used one, you'll not miss it).

After 3 month, I am still excited about how lightweight it is and how good the screen is (especially when we once in a while watch a movie on my roommate's laptop !)

And for the saved money to a rMBP you can get a good external Hard-Drive to store your movies and data
Marv89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:52 AM   #37
Refugeek
macrumors newbie

Same here, very happy with my 13" MBA. I can use it where ever I want and when I'm at my desk I hook up a 21" monitor and use my mac mini's keyboard with it.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:10 PM   #38
JohnnyComeLatly
macrumors member

I didn't see anyone answer the question about where to buy refurb. Apple Store's website. Go to "Store" from main page and scroll to the bottom. You'll see Refurbished Apple stuff. Here is a link. I thought I'd want a MBP to replace my MBP, but I got a refurb 13" MBA. I almost went all the way small, a 11", but the two extra hours of battery life on a 13" and the sweet deal swayed me.
JohnnyComeLatly is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air