Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Minor scuff right out of the box. I think the diamond cutting is bull and they should stop doing it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,677
Last edited by a moderator:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I just got mine today and I think it was fine out of the box, but I have a little scuff on the edge of the aluminum as well.

Scuff is the wrong word, it's happening because the aluminum is cut so thin at the edge and is flaking away where the cut is a bit rough. Underneath, the metal isn't anodized so you can see the raw aluminum.

I'm not terribly worried about it, but it wouldn't be visible on natural colored aluminum.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
What do you guys think.. Return it.? But I bought it online

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
How do you return it.. Can I return it at the apple store if I bought it online

TRMC13

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
That's a scuff? That's what people are bitching about? I barely see anything. Just use the damn thing like a tool as intended and calm down.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
That's a scuff? That's what people are bitching about? I barely see anything. Just use the damn thing like a tool as intended and calm down.

You have to see that in person...

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Black one has scuff above power button. White one flawless. Black model has a nicer (brighter) screen than the white (and it's not an optical illusion etc.). I could live with those problems, but both have dust under the screen so going back.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Mine was perfect until my boyfriend bumped it with his air :( Now it is showing silver top right corner :( It was an accident of course

Hmmm.. I wanted continuity across my iOS devices, because they're all in black.
Have you got a photo of your mini?

Yes, I get that these devices are "meant" to scratch. But I had my iPhone 4 and 4S for 2 and 1 year respectively, and neither of them looked as work as my 5 already does.

I'd love to see photos of a "worn and torn" black iPad mini if anyone has any photos?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Minor scuff right out of the box. I think the diamond cutting is bull and they should stop doing it

What makes you think it is happening because of the diamond cut edge? Bottom line is if it bothers you swap it. If not then don't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Hmmm.. I wanted continuity across my iOS devices, because they're all in black.
Have you got a photo of your mini?

Yes, I get that these devices are "meant" to scratch. But I had my iPhone 4 and 4S for 2 and 1 year respectively, and neither of them looked as work as my 5 already does.

I'd love to see photos of a "worn and torn" black iPad mini if anyone has any photos?

a worn and torn iPad mini? weren't they released like a day or two ago?!

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Went into "my" Apple store today to hold the mini before I buy it. I do plan on buying it. But my local store only had black left. And plenty of the black.

I ask one of the sales associates if the the mini was anodized like the iPhone 5. He replied with a yes and then ask me if I was concerned about it scratching. I was actually surprised he was honest about it. He told me they were done the same as the iPhone 5 and said it would probably scratch easily. I really appreciated his honesty. Just another reason Apple gets my business.

The business side took my name and info and will call me when a white 32 arrives.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I ask one of the sales associates if the the mini was anodized like the iPhone 5. He replied with a yes and then ask me if I was concerned about it scratching. I was actually surprised he was honest about it. He told me they were done the same as the iPhone 5 and said it would probably scratch easily. I really appreciated his honesty. Just another reason Apple gets my business.

I went to Best Buy tonight and I asked them if they had any 32GB White left. he said they had one left, so I got it. He said you don't like the black? I said no I do I actually wanted the black, but and he finished my sentence, but they scratch easy. He said I've been hearing that all day and he showed me the cabinet. They had a crap load of black ones, but only a few white 64's and the one 32, no 16 in white. So clearly consumers have become aware of the issue with the black.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I think Apple's new design looks good, but is clearly half-baked, but as this is a problem with everyone, and all of the stuff on the market will have scuffs if you ever go to resell it, there isn't much point in returning it in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.