Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
whoneu
macrumors newbie

Are Apple Premium resellers allowed to sell above RRP?

I've always thought that Apple Resellers are bound by contract to sell at set prices (RRP) and what not.

Recently the iPhone 5 launched in Macau and there's a local reseller who was selling phones (without contract) at a 250USD premium per unit on top of what ever pricing they were selling it in Hong Kong (closes country with an apple store with the same currency)

Anyone have any insight on this? A large bunch of us queued up but we have a friend who caved and paid the premium. The rest of us just left in protest.
whoneu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Why should Apple care? The resellers don't make much selling Macs in the first place, so it's not surprising they would add a surcharge.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoneu View Post
I've always thought that Apple Resellers are bound by contract to sell at set prices (RRP) and what not.
Resellers can sell at any prices they choose. Apple cannot dictate what prices resellers charge.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Resellers can sell at any prices they choose. Apple cannot dictate what prices resellers charge.
They can indirectly. If a reseller charges above MSRP, Apple (or any other company) can legally stop providing product to that reseller if they wish to. Page 2.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
They can indirectly. If a reseller charges above MSRP, Apple (or any other company) can legally stop providing product to that reseller if they wish to. Page 2.
Yes, they can elect not to sell to them, but they cannot set prices charged by resellers.
Quote:
Q: One of my suppliers marks its products with a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP). Do i have to charge this price?
A: The keyword is “suggested.” A dealer is free to set the retail price of the products it sells. A dealer can set the price at the MSRP or at a different price, as long as the dealer comes to that decision on its own. However, the manufacturer can decide not to use distributors that do not adhere to its MSRP.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Nov 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yes, they can elect not to sell to them, but they cannot set prices charged by resellers.
I did not say they could. Hence the word "indirectly." Read.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion