Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Bankaimadness
macrumors 6502

Do you use a touch screen protector on your iphone?

If I am reading some articles correctly, it indicated that the glass on the iPhone is as hard as gorilla glass.
Bankaimadness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

While that's true, even gorilla glass can scratch and crack/shatter. It's just a bit more difficult to do so than regular glass.

I have a Ghost Armor full body skin on my iPhone 5. By and large, it looks like a naked iPhone, but isn't nearly as easy to scratch.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
vincenz
macrumors 601

I say skip the phone condoms and just use it as it was intended.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
mateo124
macrumors regular

Sure it has Gorilla glass, but the oleophobic coating still scratches very easily. I don't think that the screen itself ever scratches, but the coating doesn't change from iPhone to iPhone, so its just as vulnerable to scratches as the iPhone 4 and 4s were. I'd definitely use a screen protector if you freak out about small scratches.
mateo124 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:43 PM   #5
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

My naked iPhone 4S has been dropped several times , face down, in my gravel driveway, and once in a bar, right on the corner. I got the warrantee so I didn't fret, but I am amazed how durable this thing is. Once or twice could be luck, but four or five? Ridiculously strong phone.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:44 PM   #6
boomhower
macrumors 65816

I don't. After a year and some change my iPhone 4S was fine. My wife carriers her phone in her purse just bouncing around with all her junk. After a year and a half her iPhone 4 is fine. The glass is hard and if you make a decent attempt to take care of it you'll be fine.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I have tried them on my previous phone but I always end up peeling them off after a few hours or days. They make take away from the quality of the screen in my opinion.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
I have tried them on my previous phone but I always end up peeling them off after a few hours or days. They make take away from the quality of the screen in my opinion.
This is what always happens to me. My "must protect huge investment" phase doesn't last all that long. I also make sure to keep my phone only in my pockets without other things in said pocket, so I don't ever scratch them. If I do, it's just hairline and who knows where that comes from, you know? Haha
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:17 PM   #9
boshii
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolander07 View Post
That's why you get a glass screen protector. Feels just like the original glass.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone