Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
I have used the mini for a few hours already and I have installed the apps I use most often ..

Here is my findings on screen quality and pixelation:
- same PDF document using Goodreader
> pixelated like a old print book on the mini at default size
> zoom in so the text size close to the visible size on iPad 3 - pixelation gone (however left with slight "shadow" but text "looks" retina enough")

What does this all mean?
- when the text is large enough, there are enough pixels to fill so the characters look superb and no compromise in terms of clarity
- to look this good, I have to put up with the annoyance of scrolling while reading the PDF (screen is smaller, as with iPad 3 I don't need to zoom at all)

Similar problem exists with web pages as well. When it looks pixelated (usually isolated to tiny fonts), enlarge the page solves the issue. But it's a hassle.

iBook: the font size is optimized for iBook contents, reading PDF is exactly the same issue as described above.

iPad optimized Apps: they look retina enough

Conclusion: pixelation are generally isolated to non-optimized apps (eg. iPhone) and documents and web pages at default view due to small default font size from smaller display and low pixel count.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.