Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Putting it side by side with a 9.7 iPad, and the difference in colours is striking (note, I'm not talking about res). Colours are nowhere near as vibrant as on the iPad 3!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Putting it side by side with a 9.7 iPad, and the difference in colours is striking (note, I'm not talking about res). Colours are nowhere near as vibrant as on the iPad 3!

Got to turn up the brightness. Display seems a little warmer and it ain't as bright.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I dunno I'm comparing the Facebook app icon (for example) on mini and 9.7 iPad and the latter looks fantastic, bright, vibrant, and the mini icon looks washed out, even ignoring the drop in res

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
It's true. I put it side by side with the iPad 3 as well as adjusting for different brightness... The color is very washed out.

Not arguing that. My comment was meant for the person that saying it has a low color gamut, unless you measure it (with proper equipment) one cannot make that claim as fact.

The contrast ratio generally has more to do with "vibrant" colors. At least when people that don't deal with reference/calibrated displays all day try to describe it.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
No. But when Displaymate confirms it, I'll send you a link.

Don't cop an attitude. My point was, don't go around saying something as fact, when you have nothing to back it up.

I will be surprised if the Mini does not come close to the Rec. 709 gamut points. Ever since the "new iPad" all of apples new products have had calibrations closer to Rec. 709.

What wouldn't surprise me is if the brightness (black level) is higher and contrast (white level) is lower. Providing less contrast ratio, which to the end user would provide less "pop", dingy/washed out looking colors. So while the display will still be accurate (ish), it won't look as good as the newer full size iPads.

Black level for comparison reasons (of course you can't actually take a reading) can be measured by eye. Just get a solid black image and display them on the iPads. Turn down the backlight (what apple calls brightness) on both to 0, and compare them side by side in a dark room. It should be very very easy to see which one has better black level.

Just an FYI Displaymate is a joke among the display calibration community.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Don't cop an attitude. My point was, don't go around saying something as fact, when you have nothing to back it up.

I will be surprised if the Mini does not come close to the Rec. 709 gamut points. Ever since the "new iPad" all of apples new products have had calibrations closer to Rec. 709.

What wouldn't surprise me is if the brightness (black level) is higher and contrast (white level) is lower. Providing less contrast ratio, which to the end user would provide less "pop", dingy/washed out looking colors. So while the display will still be accurate (ish), it won't look as good as the newer full size iPads.

Black level for comparison reasons (of course you can't actually take a reading) can be measured by eye. Just get a solid black image and display them on the iPads. Turn down the backlight (what apple calls brightness) on both to 0, and compare them side by side in a dark room. It should be very very easy to see which one has better black level.

Just an FYI Displaymate is a joke among the display calibration community.

So, I shouldn't send you the link?

Kruzzz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012

Can you post picture maybe something is wrong with your ipad

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
It's not a retina display,only the retina displays have the increased colour saturation

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
In fairness, not all Ipad mini may have the same panel. Apple could be using differing manufacturers ... just like on the Macbook airs.

But that raises the question of a panel lottery....which personally, I hate.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
In fairness, not all Ipad mini may have the same panel. Apple could be using differing manufacturers ... just like on the Macbook airs.

But that raises the question of a panel lottery....which personally, I hate.

Very unlikely that panel variance would account for more than very marginal shifts in gamut (which is influenced by backlighting).

And besides, the same could be said for all the other tested panels; or should we assume only the weakest Apple and strongest competitor panels were tested?

mgsnat75

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Does anyone know how to tell what screen manufacturer was used on the ipad mini like from the serial number or something? I know there are 2 manufacturers LG and some other. One is probably better than the other.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
"62 percent of Standard. Gamut Too Small" (compared to 86% for Nexus and 99% for iPad 3/4).
It's too bad that the Nexus ruined that potential advantage with god-awful calibration and the lack of true 24-bit color support. Having a wider gamut ultimately means nothing if you handicap it in other ways. It's really the Kindle HD that holds up best against the mini--calibration not quite as good but close enough so that the benefits of the wider gamut are realized.
True, but so could the Nexus and Kindle.

I doubt that Apple is sourcing a 100% gamut panel and a 62% gamut panel for the same product. It's much more likely that variance would be in black level, contrast ratio, and white point, and it'd be a fairly small variance, within 5% or so.

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Does anyone know how to tell what screen manufacturer was used on the ipad mini like from the serial number or something? I know there are 2 manufacturers LG and some other. One is probably better than the other.

No you cant tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.