Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjcxp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Anyone else notice that particles of dust are getting stuck between where the glass and metal meet on the front of the iPad Mini?

My iPhone and iPad do not exhibit this problem.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Anyone else notice that particles of dust are getting stuck between where the glass and metal meet on the front of the iPad Mini?

My iPhone and iPad do not exhibit this problem.

Had this same issue, but was able to get it out with my nail.

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
Having the same issue, and I've only had my iPad mini for 3-4 days. Tried to use my nails, but it didn't work. I'll try again when they're a bit longer, but hopefully someone will release some cheap item that can help us clean it, without damaging the iPad mini.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
How could Apple not have been aware of this from testing?

Strange how everyone is taking this. Maybe low expectations because of how bad the Mini display is? No one would go digging or spraying under an iPad retina screen.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
How could Apple not have been aware of this from testing?

Strange how everyone is taking this. Maybe low expectations because of how bad the Mini display is? No one would go digging or spraying under an iPad retina screen.

It's not under the screen, it's in the small gap between the glass and the aluminium. Every iPhone ever made has "suffered" from this (I use the term suffer loosely).

I think it's perfectly natural to assume that, on a device you use every day, it may get a little dust in its gaps.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I just run the corner of a post it note up that channel between the glass and metal frame. Seems to clear it. Also do this with the home button.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I was able to get out the dust with a microfibres cloth by wiping around the edge.

Another aesthetic issue though ( apologies for thread jacking ) but I've noticed that some ipad mini displays have problems with th oleo phobic coating off the bat. I'm on my third ipad mini after wifi issues on the first two that made it disconnect. The second mini I had showed imperfections in the display.mwhen looking at it from any angle there were roughly grid like lines made by what looked like slight variation in the thickness of the coating. In the sunlight it looked really bad. Now my third iPad is about 10x smudgier than the fist two. It shows tons of fingerprints after thirty seconds of use. I'm constantly wiping down with just microfibres which is easy for fixing it until I get my screen protector. The first two minis I had didn't smudge this easily at all and I only had to clean them infrequently through the day.

I'm wondering if others know more. That said smudge or no I would t trade my ipad mini for anything. The LTE and WIFI speeds are super awesome bow ( ten times faster than the defective ones). So if you're having slow downloads make sure you return them under warranty and get ones that has proper download speeds! You buy an apple don't settle for a lemon.

And to the op buy a case and protector it's definitely better to get a full case than just the flimsy smart one from Apple, and if you really want that style than at least gt one of the million and a half knockoffs that are less than $10!

daantje22

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Netherlands
i've also have this gap between the bezel and the glass

it suppose to be seemless, but many (including me) have a gap, but it's not suppose to be if you watch the ipad mini promo film were the explain it needs to be seemless instead of a gap

Do you mean this problem?

img0917ff.jpg

img0894dv.jpg

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
i've also have this gap between the bezel and the glass

it suppose to be seemless, but many (including me) have a gap, but it's not suppose to be if you watch the ipad mini promo film were the explain it needs to be seemless instead of a gap

Do you mean this problem?

That gap isn't right. I returned a black model for that reason, I could see glue/debris in the gap. My white model doesn't have a gap like that.

daantje22

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Netherlands
That gap isn't right. I returned a black model for that reason, I could see glue/debris in the gap. My white model doesn't have a gap like that.

It seems like almost al the iPad mini owners have this "problem". I know more people with a gap in their mini then people who don't. Also with the iPhone 5. So I don't know if its under normal or it's not

daantje22

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Netherlands
apple claims the glass should be seemless with the bezel, but its not. i don't know how you can clean it, maybe with a toothpick?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
There is somewhat of a gap on all the iPad minis. I've seen some gaps that are far worse though. I had a mini that had a really large gap on one side, and another iPad mini with weird uneven gaps.

Apple really messed up here. They should have had some plastic lining in between the glass and metal chamfered edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.