Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Quantus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
The Mini takes 5 hours to charge!

Completely drained my Mini. Plugged in and shut down. 3 hours later I'm just under 70%. Unacceptable considering how small the battery is.
Quantus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:40 PM   #2
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
not totally bad

10+ hours during the day

plug it in at night

what's wrong with that?
Yr Blues is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:50 PM   #3
MistaGavin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Have you tried the 10w charger?
MistaGavin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Idefix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
the mini comes with the slower charger, for some Apple reason.

but you can buy the 12 watt charger and it will charge faster.
Idefix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:54 PM   #5
iHeartsteve
macrumors 6502a
 
iHeartsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
hmm not too bad.. I'm actually surprised. besides the obvious form factor of the mini, this is the only other upside I see to it so far.
__________________
iPhone5 64G
iPad3 32G LTE
AppleTV3 | iPad mini 16G LTE
MacBook Pro | 15 Retina Display
iHeartsteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
iPad 10w charger will charge it faster
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:59 PM   #7
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
iPad 10w charger will charge it faster
It sure does. While it wasn't drained, I plugged mine in at 28% and it seemed to be getting about 1% every minute or so.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Quantus
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
It sure does. While it wasn't drained, I plugged mine in at 28% and it seemed to be getting about 1% every minute or so.
I don't believe that. If 12W charges THAT much faster than 5W, it's could very likely be doing some damage to the battery. Slowly, but surely.
Quantus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:11 PM   #9
children
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
lol i read the title and though thats pretty fast

you should try charging an ipad 3
__________________
(r)MBP 15
(r)iPhone 5
(m)iPad
children is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Quantus
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
lol i read the title and though thats pretty fast

you should try charging an ipad 3
I have. It only takes about an hour longer, yet it's battery is 3x the size.
Quantus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:17 PM   #11
mellofello
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
iPad 3 takes almost 10 hours for me
mellofello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:20 PM   #12
pasadena
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idefix View Post
the mini comes with the slower charger, for some Apple reason.
Portability.
pasadena is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:20 PM   #13
urkel
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Apparently every single negative observation will result in someone saying this is a benefit. Now a 5hr charge time is now considered GOOD? What?!?!
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:24 PM   #14
children
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellofello View Post
iPad 3 takes almost 10 hours for me
this,
i used to plug it all night 7+ hours, and it would never be fully charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
Apparently every single negative observation will result in someone saying this is a benefit. Now a 5hr charge time is now considered GOOD? What?!?!
hell, i never said its good, but its not that bad
The Galaxy Tab 7 takes around 3-4 hours, so 4-5 hours is within the norm
__________________
(r)MBP 15
(r)iPhone 5
(m)iPad
children is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:26 PM   #15
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantus View Post
I don't believe that. If 12W charges THAT much faster than 5W, it's could very likely be doing some damage to the battery. Slowly, but surely.
These are 3.7volts lithium batterys, depends on the capacity it can very well lower the life of the battery charging it with a higher output or make things not safe.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Paito
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
My ipad 3 takes 5 - 6 hours to fully charge to 100% after battery drain completely. I'm using he 10w adapter I was thinking about getting the 12w I'll air until I see how fast it really charges.
__________________
iPhone 5S Black - 16 GB ( T-Mobile ) ; AirPort Express ( 2nd Gen ) ; Apple TV ( 3rd Gen )
Paito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:45 PM   #17
pasadena
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
These are 3.7volts lithium batterys, depends on the capacity it can very well lower the life of the battery charging it with a higher output or make things not safe.
They're supposed to cap whatever power they *can* draw. I don't think the mini will really draw 12W. But it'll definitely draw more than with the 5W.

It's also sold as compatible with all iPads, mini included, iPhones and iPods. Even the shuffle

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-power-adapter
pasadena is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:47 PM   #18
pdqgp
macrumors 65816
 
pdqgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
My iPad 3 take a while to charge too.
pdqgp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:02 AM   #19
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
They're supposed to cap whatever power they *can* draw. I don't think the mini will really draw 12W. But it'll definitely draw more than with the 5W.

It's also sold as compatible with all iPads, mini included, iPhones and iPods. Even the shuffle

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...-power-adapter
Either way the "charger" its just a power source, the one in hand its listed at 5volts so its up to the device to regulate the amps that flow.

I conclude these is all a placebo effect and using the ipad "charger" will not change nothing; these batterys are rated 3.7volts, it depends on how many MAH the battery is rated and the device will regulate at what pace it will charge.

Ps. Sorry for the english.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:07 AM   #20
pasadena
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
I conclude these is all a placebo effect and using the ipad "charger" will not change nothing; these batterys are rated 3.7volts, it depends on how many MAH the battery is rated and the device will regulate at what pace it will charge.

Ps. Sorry for the english.
Yes, but if it can draw more than the charger will provide, then you'll see a gain with a more powerful charger. I'm no electronician, and physics were not my strong point in school, so I'm not going to enter further into the debate

No worries for the english, not my native language either
pasadena is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:49 AM   #21
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Yes, but if it can draw more than the charger will provide, then you'll see a gain with a more powerful charger. I'm no electronician, and physics were not my strong point in school, so I'm not going to enter further into the debate

No worries for the english, not my native language either
I cant draw more power, it will regulate the volt wich in the iphone power source are rated 5volts but these batterys dont charge at 5volt or they most likely will blow up.

im also not electrician etc but i know a bit due to ecigs/pvs; lithium batterys the same standart and damm well i do my research if im going to put it in my mouth

Damm wouldnt know your english is not native.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:59 AM   #22
sam3020
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I thought that my mini charges pretty damn quick. Especially compared to the full size ipad which takes absolutely ages to charge
__________________
iMac 2012 21.5"
Apple iPhone 5 32gb
iPad Mini 32gb wifi 7 Cellular
sam3020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:02 AM   #23
roxxette
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Btw do whe know the capacity of both devices ? Battery capacity of course.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:12 PM   #24
Quantus
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Anyone confirmed that the 12W actually charges the Mini significantly faster? Mere compatibility with the adapter doesn't mean it will charge faster, just that it works.
Quantus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:14 PM   #25
klover
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Charged via iPad adapter (12A?) from 60% to 100% was just over hour. Crazy fast.
klover is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mail sometimes takes hours to be delivered Senseotech Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 4 Feb 5, 2013 03:29 PM
iPad Mini: iPad mini took 2 hours to charge... Mrrikki iPad 15 Nov 4, 2012 07:28 AM
ML takes HOURS to download Nychot MacBook Air 30 Jul 31, 2012 10:32 AM
Does IPhone unlock takes 48 hours ? Sunnyr iPhone 5 Jul 19, 2012 11:03 PM
Time Machine Takes Hours to back up Kilobytes kylebshr MacBook 0 Jul 16, 2012 01:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC