Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
After receiving the Mini and playing with it for the better part of the evening, the screen is definitely leaving something to be desired.

Only one reviewer so far has hit the nail on the head: Cult of Mac.

They basically sum it up by saying this is the most frustrating Apple device EVER. It is not worth a penny more than $329 and it will potentially be the best Apple product ever if it gets a retina upgrade next year.

I like it a lot so I don't think I will return it since what is available is simply reality, but man am I noticing the screen difference.

Last edited:

LiarInGlass

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Oh look, another pointless post about someone saying the display is a huge problem when it's really not. I've played with mine for maybe two hours or so, and I don't even notice it. The display is good. It's not retina, but retina is not the greatest thing in the world. It's an awesome device.

reRESERVEDMD

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Oh look, another pointless post about someone saying the display is a huge problem when it's really not. I've played with mine for maybe two hours or so, and I don't even notice it. The display is good. It's not retina, but retina is not the greatest thing in the world. It's an awesome device.

It is an awesome device! But the screen quality is poor compared to Apple's retina offerings (obviously). It's not terrible, and better than the iPad 2 (same resolution in smaller size). I think more of the issue are the colors, saturation, and contrast.

I had an interesting conversation at the store. We think Apple is gonna drop the price of this iPad mini next year, release a retina one at the same price point, and revamp the iPad 5 completely. They CAN make it thinner... I don't wanna get into detail, but it's quite obvious when you follow sites like ifixit etc.

bidoof01

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
After receiving the Mini and playing with it for the better part of the evening, the screen is definitely leaving something to be desired.

They basically sum it up by saying this is the most frustrating Apple device EVER. It is not worth a penny more than $329 and it will potentially be the best Apple product ever if it gets a retina upgrade next year.

I like it a lot so I don't think I will return it since what is available is simply reality, but man am I noticing the screen difference.

Link to review would have been nice.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It is an awesome device! But the screen quality is poor compared to Apple's retina offerings (obviously). It's not terrible, and better than the iPad 2 (same resolution in smaller size). I think more of the issue are the colors, saturation, and contrast.

I had an interesting conversation at the store. We think Apple is gonna drop the price of this iPad mini next year, release a retina one at the same price point, and revamp the iPad 5 completely. They CAN make it thinner... I don't wanna get into detail, but it's quite obvious when you follow sites like ifixit etc.

Hahaha you ran into Tim cook and jony Ive at a random apple store? If not the guy you talked to doesn't know squat :)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006

You sir have poor eyesight. The resolution is simply bad.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010

Oh look, another pointless post about how if you don't even notice it that means the display is good for everyone else.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
You sir have poor eyesight. The resolution is simply bad.

I'm glad you can see through my eyes and judge what I can and cannot see. Thanks for that.

Seriously, people are making the screen out to be some crappy 8 bit green screen crap. It's a good display for what it is trying to be at the price point Apple wanted.

Don't like it? Return it already.

Sheesh!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

It's way overpriced even for Apple. Yet that will not deter people since Apples spent lots of time getting people to overlook high pricing. Perhaps being one of Apples best strengths, the sales volume should be amazing as always.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

It is an awesome device, but the screen IS poor. And it's highlighted further by fact the cheaper iPod touch utilises a Retina Display.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
It's way overpriced even for Apple.
It's actually markedly underpriced for Apple. If they were maintaining their normal margins, it'd be $349+. It may or may not be overvalued for a lot of potential customers, though.

Pricing is relative to cost. Value is relative to what consumers are willing to pay.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I'm glad you can see through my eyes and judge what I can and cannot see. Thanks for that.

Seriously, people are making the screen out to be some crappy 8 bit green screen crap. It's a good display for what it is trying to be at the price point Apple wanted.

Don't like it? Return it already.

Sheesh!

I don't think you quite understand. It's not as easy as simply "return it" and be done. We WANT a form factor like this without sacrificing anything we are already used to. Cult of Mac is spot on: it's frustrating. The difference in reading is night and day on a Mini and an iPad 3, unfortunately.

I feel that the Mini is definitely over-priced, despite what Apple deems to be acceptable margins, for the quality received. Honestly, I don't feel a $130 better build quality than the competition. It's thin, light, and feels cheaper than any other iPad built to date. The screen issue doesn't help. Apple just can't put retina in all of their devices and expect people not to notice when they go back in time and still charge way more than the competition. I mean, sure, they CAN, but they shouldn't.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think you quite understand. It's not as easy as simply "return it" and be done. We WANT a form factor like this without sacrificing anything we are already used to. Cult of Mac is spot on: it's frustrating. The difference in reading is night and day on a Mini and an iPad 3, unfortunately.

I feel that the Mini is definitely over-priced, despite what Apple deems to be acceptable margins, for the quality received. Honestly, I don't feel a $130 better build quality than the competition. It's thin, light, and feels cheaper than any other iPad built to date. The screen issue doesn't help. Apple just can't put retina in all of their devices and expect people not to notice when they go back in time and still charge way more than the competition. I mean, sure, they CAN, but they shouldn't.

so if it's over priced and frustrating, why did you buy it?

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
so if it's over priced and frustrating, why did you buy it?

Because most of us are here because we are fans of apple products and have high hopes that their latest would fit our lifestyle needs. With the non-retina display, unfortunately for some it is a disappointment yet they can see the POTENTIAL for such a form factor...hence the frustration. Why can't we all just agree that it's a non-issue for some but it is for others?

Funny thing is the people who are venting their frustration here are probably the ones that are very loyal to apple...trying their best to want to like something they're a little disappointed in...otherwise they'd already have left for another product. Yet they're the ones getting all the flack for voicing their frustration.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I like reading unbiased reviews, this one seems to be one.

Last edited:

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010

of course they will make it cheaper next year... sheesh.
they'll bring out ipad mini 2 for the same price and sell ipad mini 1 for $249.

That's why they introduced the magical price of $329 so they can give you the same price as they did the last time... only NOW WITH RETINA! It's the same god damn formula they continue to do over and over. It works and you buy it anyway and they keep doing it and you buy it again.

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
Gotta say, I'm amazed.

No doubt, the iPad 1 and 2 have most likely not sold a single device, judging by this forum... I mean, the screen on those two devices must have been nothing short of appalling!

I mean, the font on those devices was of such poor nature that you certainly destroyed your iris in less than one minute, trying to read anything!

Good lord... Guys... Come on... The screen is fine. Yes, there's a difference compared to Retina, but please...

And that's coming from someone with perfect eyesight, mind you. My father, with far from perfect eyesight, uses an iPad 1 and has no complaints whatsoever. And yes, he has tried an iPad 3, but no, he doesn't see a need to upgrade.

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
The fact that it didn't have a retina display was the only thing that worried me. After spending last night with it I can see it will not be a problem. I love this thing. I'm coming from an iPad 3 and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

KimMelton661

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I can't believe the number of complaints! I have mine and I BARELY notice the pixels. I think the screen is great. I am so happy with my mini.:)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Don't like the screen of the iPad mini? Buy a new iPod touch. It's got a retina display. Screen not big enough? Use it 3 inches away from your eyes. It will look even bigger than an iPad 4.

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
The device is great!! Apple knew what is was doing. The will get TONS of people buying the new mini and when retina comes out will sell to them all over again!! It's big business nothing more. They can make money off people twice duh

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007

You say the non retina display is not a huge problem then you say retina is not the greatest thing in the world ?

If retina isn't the greatest then how is your non retina screen not really a problem ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.