Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:25 AM   #1
seajewel
macrumors 6502

iPad mini is the iPad killer!

I don't like the non-retina screen, but you know.. while using the device, I didn't miss the full-sized iPad one single bit (well, except the resolution). The weight of the device, the screen size, it is perfect for reading and browsing the web. I think actually the increased screen size over other 7" devices is both a pro and a con. It's a pro because it increases screen estate considerably which is nice for web browsing. It's a con because it does reduce portability some. Not a lot--it's a VERY portable device, very thin, very light, but it is bigger and it is not a very good device to hold with one hand for me.

But it's also a pro and a con for Apple. The bigger screen size makes cannibalization of the full-sized iPad that much more likely, in my opinion. I guess it's a good thing (as a shareholder whose shares have been in freefall, yay) that the iPad mini was priced pretty high for higher margins, because I really think the sales of the Mini will outpace the full iPad very soon. It really is the iPad I've always wanted, and it does NOT feel small. So why would I want a bigger one?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:27 AM   #2
faroZ06
Banned

Just wait for the second iPad mini. It'll have retina display. The first one will be cheaper, too.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:29 AM   #3
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Just wait for the second iPad mini. It'll have retina display. The first one will be cheaper, too.
I said it in another thread but I almost feel like maybe all those crazy ppl who say Apple won't put retina in the iPad mini 2 are right, not because it's not possible etc. because it obviously is, but because of the full-sized iPad, which is in great peril

the full-sized iPad is a beautiful device. the retina screen is a pleasure to read on. BUT it's unwieldy and heavy in comparison to the iPad mini. and it's heavy, without even comparison, when you're trying to read while lying in bed. At least for me, and for many people--although not all the people who are going to pop in this thread and tell me to lift weights.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:36 AM   #4
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
This.

Only then will I even consider getting a ipad mini ( much less to replace my ipad )

Not having a retina display when apple is pushing them so hard is insane, and the fact that it is ( and mostly always will) be rocking a generation-old processor is depressing. I look at all the compromises and I just can't justify the cost.

And trust me, it'll always be SOMETHING. Apple is smart, and they will always be holding the ipad mini back in one or two import aspects to make sure that it doesn't hurt the iPad with Retina Display sales too badly.

Last edited by acorntoy; Nov 3, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:53 AM   #5
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorntoy View Post
This.

Only then will I even consider getting a ipad mini ( much less to replace my ipad )

Not having a retina display when apple is pushing them so hard is insane, and the fact that it is ( and mostly always will) be rocking a generation-old processor is depressing. I look at all the compromises and I just can't justify the cost.

And trust me, it'll always be SOMETHING. Apple is smart, and they will always be holding the ipad mini back in one or two import aspects to make sure that it doesn't hurt the iPad with Retina Display sales too badly.
Oh I don't doubt that they'll try to keep the specs behind, but I'm not sure that's enough. It's really while using it that I fell in love, in a way I never fell in love with the full-sized iPad. I barely reached for it in the month or so I had it, it was just never the first thing I grabbed in the morning to check the weather or email (it was always my phone). of course this is going to be different for everyone, but I really think the screen size threatens the full-sized iPad a lot. The usability is great and the screen size is not small for my tastes.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 02:15 AM   #6
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I really think the sales of the Mini will outpace the full iPad very soon. It really is the iPad I've always wanted, and it does NOT feel small. So why would I want a bigger one?
The larger screen is much nicer for certain activities, such as web surfing. IF the current "new iPad with retina display" had the thin border of the Mini and shaved off weight (like iPhone 5), wouldn't even consider Mini.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
The larger screen is much nicer for certain activities, such as web surfing. IF the current "new iPad with retina display" had the thin border of the Mini and shaved off weight (like iPhone 5), wouldn't even consider Mini.
Eh it's plenty big for me for browsing and so much easier to hold. I could love it so much if it had retina.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:24 PM   #8
blackbelter
macrumors member

I just read the title, and it seems extremely serious. Shall we call the police?
blackbelter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:28 PM   #9
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbelter View Post
I just read the title, and it seems extremely serious. Shall we call the police?
Yes and inform Tim cook he's ruining the company. I love the mini! Never going back to full sized unless it also becomes 10 oz or less now, give me retina!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:39 PM   #10
caz12345
macrumors newbie

I bought a 32gb white mini and red smart cover from Glasgow store today. Got to say I love it. I also own an ipad 2 and I really don't see why the display is being criticised so much. The tablet is absolutely gorgeous and I cannot put it down. My ipad 2 is going off to a new home. If folk want retina get the ipad 4 but for me this is a big hit!
caz12345 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:42 PM   #11
pmcdunnough
macrumors member

I got both the Mini and the iPad 4. Came from an iPad3. The Mini is a very, very pleasant surprise. It's fantastic!

Philip
pmcdunnough is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:44 PM   #12
seajewel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz12345 View Post
I bought a 32gb white mini and red smart cover from Glasgow store today. Got to say I love it. I also own an ipad 2 and I really don't see why the display is being criticised so much. The tablet is absolutely gorgeous and I cannot put it down. My ipad 2 is going off to a new home. If folk want retina get the ipad 4 but for me this is a big hit!
Well it is slightly better than the iPad 2, so if that's where you're coming from you wouldn't feel it's bad.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
HowardSmith
Banned

My mini is not going to kill my iPad 3 or my 4 which will arrive in a few weeks. It is already back in the box with return labels to go back to Apple.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad